SotAMapper - shows items of interest and tracks player location on map

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by coder1024, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Added a path to the map I'm using. ^_^

[​IMG]

Bom, Time Lord, coder1024 and 2 others like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yes, there are some areas where N is S, E is W. Noticed the behavior in Hidden Vale a long time ago.
    I can't remember which one, but there's one Port map for an area in HV that is 180 degrees out from the compass.
    I bug reported it and they came back saying that "map work" was all on hold till all the scenes were in place and final....

You can track yourself and zoom in/out with Port's maps, but you sure can't add anything to their map. Your's doesn't "look" as cool, but is WAY more functional and useful... Would love to be able to give yours a "skin" to have some semblance to the scene....
    Not complaining, mind you - just wishin'.... hehe

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Nice, I was thinking of doing the same for marking trails in some of the scenes. I did that last year when I mapped things using some software from my office. Hadn't gotten around to trying it using this. I'm really loving this tool, can't say enough good things about it! :)

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Wow, this is just FUN !
    I took @LiquidSky 's (much appreciated) datapoints for Novia, added 1 (Ulfheim) of my own, saved it as .csv and Viola' - great Novia reference map !
    But there is one problem that I believe @coder1024 can fix for us - and that is to turn Novia 90 degrees CW.

I added Ulfheim because that's where I was on the overworld Novia map.
    Pulled up coder1024's super app and ran to Brittany.
    Boom ! LiquidSky's coords are SPOT ON ! (See my current avatar's smiley smack dab on top of Brittany's dot ).

But, as you can see in the pic where I've superimposed SotaMapper over SotaMap.com's Novia Map - everything is correct but 90 degrees CCW.

[​IMG]

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If I manually rotate SotaMapper those 90 degrees CW (for the superimposed screenshot), everything is spot on.

[​IMG]

SotaMapper will be a WONDERFUL addition to our SotA experience !

Thank you for doing this, @coder1024 ! ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  6. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I think I found an annoying bug with the Add button... when you click Add and it adds the item to the map, its not re-computing the min/max extents for the map so it doesn't look right if you're adding them as you go. I'll look into this more and get this fixed ASAP.

Also as noted earlier, I think I'll need to add a flag to the map file which, when present, swaps the coords so those maps which are flipped will look correct.

7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Noticed that yesterday when I was making my maps.
    Hope you can fix it.

I can go to more scenes and get the N,S,E,W exits marked and see which ones need rotating, if you like. ( Or, are all the scenes rotated 90 degrees CCW currently ?? )
    For sure Ulfheim does as well as the Novia overworld.

Bom, Time Lord and coder1024 like this.
  8. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! Regarding the map rotation, I will experiment with what to flip based on Frostll's post concerning the Novia map data provided by LiquidSky. I'm guessing it'll be a simple swapping thing and will then just add a special line to the map file indicating it needs to be swapped.

Bom, Time Lord, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  9. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I've added a few sections to the README (contributors list, known issues, and feature requests) in an attempt to get a little more organized and have updated the OP to reflect this.

Bom, Time Lord, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  10. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Another bug is that you have to add at least 1 item to the map manually. Until there's 1 item, the add button is disabled. Once you put in that first item, you should be able to then use the Add button to add more the easy way.

Bom, Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  11. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

So I've been using this to track where I've been. I was going to use LiquidSky's points for Novia, but by entering them in myself, I can keep track of my travels... and the place's I've visited. :)

12. lollie

lollie Avatar

Sent you some icons in mail :)

13. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Great idea! Glad it can be used to help out in that way :)
    Thanks! I've added them to the default data set for the app.

Bom, Time Lord, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Might consider having some kind of current icons download - so it's not necessary to download the whole enchilada again.... ;)

Tonight I'm gonna' check some Novia scenes and see if they are tilted, mapwise...
    Will let you know, @coder1024 of course... ;)

Bom, Time Lord and coder1024 like this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@lollie You go girl !!!
    Needin' me some kewl icons........ ;)

Time Lord, coder1024 and lollie like this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

So far I've check the following scenes for rotation: Ulfheim, East Sanctus Forest, West Sanctus Forest and the Novia overworld.
    All 4 are tilted 90 degrees CCW.

Here's the last 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lollie

lollie Avatar

It's weird, I can't make this work and I can't figure out why. Pretty sure it's saving as plain text file now...but the app just isn't opening the map files for me.

Time Lord and coder1024 like this.
  18. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

well so far the entire download is only about 136KB :)
    AWESOME! Thanks for doing that. Looks like the first few scenes I happened to create all worked with how I setup the coordinate system, but perhaps there are a number which don't. I'll definitely work on adding a flag to the map file so you can add that flag and have it flip for the files which need it.
    hmm... It should show error message(s) in red at the bottom. I added those so we can better diagnose exactly where its failing. Can you send the error you're getting now? Also, one of the suggested features would be having an Add Map button in addition to Add Item. Then it could create the map file for you with the correct name and you wouldn't ever have to worry about manually doing anything with the file. Perhaps once we have that in it will help you? But send the error anyway in case that shows what's going on.

Bom, Time Lord, lollie and 2 others like this.
  19. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Suggestion:
    If you're looking at making sure the map resizes as more points are added... would you consider adding a Zoom In/Out button? I've noticed in my POT when I add a lot of points close by the labels will all overlap... would be nice if I could zoom in or set a scale to display at. :) (oh, and if you do add zooming in/out... having a 'zoom to full extent' is always handy. )

Again, thanks for such a great tool! (It's making it finally fun and giving me a purpose to exploring instead of just grinding.) :)

Bom, Womby, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  20. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Thanks for the suggestion! Will definitely keep that in mind for a future version (and I've added that to the feature request list in the OP and README). Yes, right now you have to add a set of items before the map starts to make sense. Currently, the code scales all map data to available window space which is why it behaves this way. Being able to zoom in and out as opposed to fitting the data to the window would be a different way to do it, but I can definitely see the value based on what you're saying.
    Excellent! Glad to hear you're enjoying it and its expanding the gameplay experience :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.