Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Exactly how rich is rich?

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Mitara, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

With all those changes to give the new players some more gold, I was wondering. How exactly rich is rich? Im told some people have like 20000 or more.

How rich are you? (So the newbies have something to aspire to....)

Time Lord and Krohon like this.
  2. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Rich in this game is a little relative, I think. If you mean in comparison to what amount of gold some players have been able to amass, then 20k is not much. I think some people have crossed over 1M gold. Experienced players earn multiple thousand gold easily within the hour.

However, you don't need millions to be rich enough to supply yourself with good adventuring equipment along with more than enough arrows or reagents and the like. I see comments from some that they don't know what to spend their gold on.

To more specifically answer your question, I have around 80k gold at the moment.

By the way, if you want someone to party with some time, let me know. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

In the last dev hangout were this all came up Chris said that 10% of the population have 90% of the gold and I can't recall if they all had over 100k or 200k? But I can tell you that 50k can go real fast.

4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Fairly cash poor usually only a couple of thousand gold. most everything goes to building up my backup tax fund. I have about 65k in there.

5. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

I live out of a bank and other than stockpiling reagents, scrolls and repair kits, my overhead is pretty low. I have over 200k in the bank.

I play quite a bit though, but casually.

Time Lord, Krohon and 4EverLost like this.
  6. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Im aa crafter
    I spend evey penny on fuels mainly..
    I salvage pretty much all loot.
    I sell loot when i need to buy fuels.
    Im in the 90% that Chris was talking about broke as hell.<25k.
    I sell no items off vendors simply because you all can just make the same stuff yourself.

Beli, Jivalax Azon, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  7. agra

agra Avatar

I made my nest egg when weapons sold for more than 9 gold.
    I've stopped crafting because just trying to keep up with repair kits, reagents and consumables takes all my money from adventuring. No money for fuel or mats.
    I can't afford to salvage anything, I have to sell it all just to barely keep up. I'm not making any money at AL62 in 5-skull zones, and while I make XP, my AL progression has pretty much stopped.
    Taking stats like INT/STR/DEX over 70 requires millions of XP, and I'm not grinding out millions of XP even at a few dozen thousand per hour.

And I'm not fighting a billion instant-respawn mobs to harvest one silver or gold. o_O
    To hell with enchanting and masterworking, I'll just use vendor gear before I put myself through that pyramid of pain. SMH.

Time Lord and The Hendoman like this.
  8. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

i make about 2.5k/30 min not min maxing can be more or less depending on build ect. i will respond to a few in game questions for help if you feel you really need it." noname drifter " will show you the 3 zones i work mostly. see if any of them work for you :) and you can then share your thoughts.

i am an 72 archer that does not use dynamic deck at the moment and i use auto attack so slow and lazy atm. lots of room to imporve.

no promise i will be on or able to help for long at any given time.

Time Lord, Krohon and 4EverLost like this.
  9. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

I find it difficult to make gold as a pure mage, most of what I earn during an outing goes straight back into buying regs for my spells.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

You should reconsider this.

1. People are lazy as hell.
    2. There are lot of players gouging the market, so people will buy from you if your prices are fair. Definitely more than the vendor.

11. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

I'd love to see a better breakdown of the numbers from Port... so 10% have 90% of the wealth, ok how much time do they average in game? How much have they averaged per hour? the other 90% how much do they play, earn per hour? Does Port's goal of Xgp / Hour work for those casual players that have taxable lots? What is "causal" in Port's mind?

You have to make enough money to:
    - Pay taxes
    - Purchase reagents
    - repair equipment / buy new equipment
    In theory the last two are no different between causal players and hardcore players... the amount of time spent vs cost should be the same... both would could spend 10 hours playing ... but a hardcore may do that all in a day or two while a causal might take a week or two...

And that's where the real problem comes from, taxes that MUST be paid and there's no change if you are just a causal player. So if you are a casual player you have to spend more of your 'free' time earning money for taxes. You can't play causally and expect to pay off taxes. You are forced to play a minimum amount of time just for the taxes. If it takes an hour a day to pay for taxes and you only play 1 hour a day, well you're screwed. So I'd love to know what the time commitments are. It's hard to judge the money problem without that.

(disclaimer... I have tax free lots but I saw this oncoming train wreck months ago and got rid of my taxable lots since I didn't want to spend my 'free' time earning money to pay lot taxes.)

If on the other hand you have tax free lots then there should be little difference between the hardcore and casual players in gold earnings per hour.

The only other differences come from play style... such as being a mage and using more high end spells that use costly reagents or being a melee fighter and getting your weapons and armor bashed therefore needing constant repair. In my case I'm an archer with T1/T2 spells. So my combat costs are fairly low. (I've had minimal repair costs and only crafted one set of equipment since wipe.)

I've had as much as 200k gp saved up but at least 75% of that came from selling pledge items not loot, that's the only way I could afford to purchase silver for master working my items. (Now I can mostly get the silver myself along with everything else. So I have little need to purchase material from other vendors except when I'm feeling lazy.)

I would like to know what the play style is for the top 10% also.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I am starting to earn a bit of money now, because I put away my wand and got a melee weapon and don't use spells that costs regs.
    Fortunately my level/passives are high enough to survive farming trivial crap for money.
    I'm not really enjoying it at all but its the only way I can afford to keep crafting, and i have to grind several hours per day to even do that.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Well to sum it up
    With the diffuculty to gather the simpilist of materials so high, and the yeild you get from a Node so poor, and the huge amount of everything needed to craft. All us that willingly of are forced to gather and craft are the 90% of the game that are Broke.
    And the Adventures thats hunt, kill and sell everrything are the 10% richest.
    Now you would think that the top 10% would be buying
    Items from the lower 90%. But hey they got COTOS to repair with so there taken care of.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

I haven't used any cotos to repair and absolutely buy stuff, but here's a list of things I don't buy:

- Processed materials, I can make those myself.
    - Completed gear that isn't enchanted/MWed, I can make that myself
    - Gear with junky enchants
    - Repairs, I do those myself

I'll sometimes buy gear with decent enchants and nothing else but I have a GM enchanter guildie selling enchants at extremely reasonable prices so it has to be good enough to force an impulse buy. +8 good enchanting with bad MWs is still enough to force a buy from me, and good masterworks are seriously worth shelling out for, enchants or not.

Gathering gold doesn't even require you to be high level. Twin Hills in Elysium is lower level than basically every mine and has fairly reasonable gold drops. Few people are willing to grind gold at the moment, so it has increased in value (meaning prices drop).

Time Lord and 4EverLost like this.
  15. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Honestly, they need to reduce all of the tax rates. When they came up with the current rates they were basing them on the median amount of gold earned per hour by players. Since they've nerfed gold income, that median value has decreased. Which means the rent rates should have decreased as well.

As for the topic, I'm not really sure. I've heard of players up at a million gold or more. The most I've ever had was 20k. That's because I'm almost always spending it. I can earn about 6k-10k per hour depending on if I'm speed running, but it doesn't last me long. I spend a lot on reagents since my main dps deck consists of Chain Lighting, Lightning, and Fireball as my damage skills. That eats up a lot of reagents fast. But I also buy gold ore and ingots a lot when I see it going for a good price. I can generally buy at least as much gold ore as I could earn farming it in the mines myself over the same amount time farming gold coins from enemies. I'd rather farm gold coins from mobs and just buy the gold ore than hit nodes all day, so that's what I do. I also like leveling my combat skills, so sitting in the mine all day doesn't really help with that.

The rest of the gold I make goes into crafting fuels and repairs. Hence why 20k is the most I've had at one time. Luckily, I have a tax free village lot, so I don't have to worry about taxes too.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I can't count the number of times I have purchased materials from other players over the years, even though I knew I could easily collect it. I did so because I was on a mission to get something bigger. I told myself that I will make up for my laziness later when I am not so busy.

Hence, everything is sellable, even to those that can self-service.

Elwyn, Time Lord, Mitara and 3 others like this.
  17. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Yup... count me in that... I buy when I'm lazy.

Just to add to this point... it's not just the fact that the tax rates may be too high vs the gold/hr ... but that fact that even if a casual player met the gold/hr rate Port is looking for... they may not be playing enough hours in a week to pay the tax for the full month. What good is it if someone can generate the gold/hr but then only plays a couple nights a week for only a couple hours?

So for Port to just say "Hey the average player is making Xgp/hr and is enough to pay for taxes..." isn't the full story and is a poor analysis. The real analysis is how much gold per month is a player making? is it enough for the casual player to pay for everything? daily is inconsequential... monthly is the critical factor since taxes have to be paid for a whole month. What good is it to meet their daily goal but only play a fraction of the month?

18. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Gold is tough to come by but it can be done. Mining is probably the easiest way to get a kickstart on making gold(pretty much like any game). Find a profession and the gold will flow.

Edit: Also, pine and maple wood is in high demand at the moment. Go to Kingsroad, south of Owls, and put the axe to the wood!

19. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

And it is completely broken in SOTA :(:(:(

P.S. How rich are hardcore players ??? Extremely rich. On 75+ level you can make money very easy if you need( but you dont need it :D). Rates on 85+ level are probably around 60-80k(may be even 100k) per day just grinding the control point with a friend for 5 hours. (one is fighting one is looting and heal) But in general you dont need money at all when you are high level. And even those guys are poor in comparison with rich players who can spend thousands $.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

I have 18k gold in game and feel very rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.