Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

A note to the developers

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by dreamlarp, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

I think you misunderstand what i was saying. I did say time and EFFORT. Not just spend time in game. My talking about time was to say that many are grinding ect. In most games time playing refers to time spent raising skills ect.

FrostII likes this.
  2. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

I think I don't want this to be a game designed by Wall-Street Logic.

Unlike reality this game will be designed to provide fun for every one.

This includes also the player that "only" invested the money for the game and play the game as a Role Playing Game, not as grinding work.

I like that Port is trying to give all kind of players a playground by adding some support for the non-grinders but still give something to achieve for the heavy grinders.

Comparing their current actions (e.g. 500g from the oracle) with reality, I would say this is a kind of "basic income" that helps everyone to participate in society.

I like that.

3. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I don't see how you can disconnect time and effort. In most games, farming low level mobs isn't profitable, in SotA you get just as much as high level mobs most of the time. The high level earners have already reduced farming gold to a high earning low risk task.

4. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Devs are doing fine. Yes, they screw it, but they are hearing what the users say and trying to fix it. We cannot ask for more! There is not a "professional game balancing" guy available for hire, not for real. Each economy is different.

Please, devs, keep building up. And bring more stuff like coal mines, and skills to build more stuff, like chest mechanisms. And use variable NPC prices more! Adjust them until, somehow, the offer and the demand match. Don't worry if something is cheaper, or that else is too expensive than you expected, it will be always this kind of disparities floating around.

Sir Cabirus and Elfenwahn like this.
  5. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

It's not wall street logic. It's game development logic. And no matter what this is a crowdfunded game witch means they have to be even more careful about keeping the lights on. They do have to provide for all types of players but still keep the base that will support the game in the long run. History has shown that not all types of players will stay and support mmo type games. It's just a fact. I never said to exclude any type I was just making the point that the game needs to be risk vrs reward/ Effort(time) vrs reward. These are not my opinions they are fact.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

I find "participate in an adventure vrs. reward" and "develope together a great story vrs. reward" much more appealing.

We have enough games based on your facts. I don't like them. That is why I supported this game.

7. randomonium

randomonium Avatar

My largest concern is the focus on the MMO aspects. I suspect a non-trivial number of players (like me) will *never* play this game as an MMO.
    Whatever hacks Portaltarium decides to use to balance the game economy need to factor in the number of players who *only* backed the game to play it offline.

docdoom77, Sir Frank, Krohon and 4 others like this.
  8. Moussaka

Moussaka Avatar

Listen to the first few minutes...

9. sdbaynham

sdbaynham Avatar

"Developers should not interfere in the game economy and should allow unlimited linear scaling!"

*plays Salem*

"This is cool and good."

10. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

@Tahru
    Ok are you kidding me?
    This is a huge insult to those of us that actually are devoted to the game and actually play it on a regular basis, So the fact that you can play part time and keep up with me who plays fulltime, makes it completely unfair for me, and this is going to drive away all the players like me that play a lot.

Here is a Example
    I work 8 hours a day to make 1.25 In the first 4 hours I make 1.00 in the second 4 hours I make 0.25.
    You work 4 hours a day and make 1.00.
    Is it worth it for me to keep working for just that xtra .25. Hell NO its not, so ill just move on to a something New.
    This is exactly what's happening here in Sota.

This is from the R33 Post Mortem

I have noticed that there is no difference in speed in Swift Gathering skills above 70, is this a known issue or a intentional game design?
    STARR: There is a difference it is just that since the growth curve is exponential your gains at higher levels are smaller than they were at lower levels.

So why do I play and raise my skill to a higher Level? Since its usless ?

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That's a bit of an over exaggeration. To begin with, we have to assume two things, (1) the end point in a skill now is exactly how it would be in a linear model. (2) the amount of time to reach 98% is the same as in a linear model. The difference is really how long it takes a person to reach 60% and 80%. Which I believe 60% to be around level 40 and 78% to be around level 80 with 99% around 140. Hence, nobody can be a master in a day. A casual player would be lucky to GM (lvl 100) pooping in the life of the game. Hence hard core players can gain an advantage, it will be a ~33% advantage (not a 99% advantage like WoW). But there is clearly a reward. However, if some casual is a better skilled player, they will kick butt on hardcore unskilled players inside of a week. Sounds pretty fair to me. We want as many players as we can and opportunity always grows in proportion to players.

Krohon likes this.
  12. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

@Toff
    Sorry This guy is not the hard to beat player, This guy is the guy that paid a few thousand bucks for his pledge, who plays almost every night, Who knows all about the game and ansears a lot of your questions in game or on boards, this guy is the guy who spends 25-150 dollars in the add on store every couple weeks to support the game he loves, This guy is the guy that's been around since the kick starter 3.5 years ago,
    THIS IS THE GUY GETING SCREWED OVER BUY THE DEVS with this silly linier skill level system, that's ruining the game.

All I can really say, is you get out of it what you put into it,
    If you put less in you get less out
    Lets not turn this into a welfare game, were you get everything free for doing nothing, if this is the case we will all do nothing and the Devs can just design a direct deposit system into our bank to give us all free gold.

@Toff
    I Agree with you here,
    Good post.

13. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

@Tahru
    Did you read the Reply From Starr.... No Exaggeration.
    This is for real and We are really upset about it.

14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

15. Mr. Hatter

Mr. Hatter Avatar

@dreamlarp makes some great points, all I hear from my friends these days is anger over the perception that the Devs are constantly stealth nerfing game mechanics they enjoy, or ways they found to make gold. I often hear complaints about them feeling like they are just role players for a game the Devs are playing, due to the lack of communication on what they are adjusting and often the perceived lack of respect for their players time and what the players see as fun. Example of this is the nerf on group xp, now it feels like we are wasting our time if we want to group up to adventure for xp. We use to have a nightly xp group run, now we all just play our own game in parallel universes.

The people I am speaking of are the silent majority not the ones posting in these forums, they speak with their wallets.

Side note on the xp curve, I also find it annoying that my hard work adventuring in game is all for not. I really already reached the soft cap a couple of weeks after persistence, tell me what will motivate players to keep playing when they don't find typing /dance and watching their screen for several hours fun.

I love this game and want it to succeed, but I think it's time to spend some of our pledge dollars on experts to balance the game and economy as the op suggested.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  16. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Control point farming for 100x what anyone else makes per hour? If you GM'd everything already, then I guess that's your lot to deal with.

17. Mr. Hatter

Mr. Hatter Avatar

80 in each skill is the soft cap @Snazz, Control Points are for groups which don't give xp anymore anyways.

I have 1 GM, don't need any others.

Please don't talk at me or talk on subjects you obviously did not research.

-Back to OP topic

18. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

They used to give a mill per hour pre-nerf with the right group.

Last glyph = soft cap? First time I have heard that.

My hybrid build will take ages yet to fully flesh out.

19. Mr. Hatter

Mr. Hatter Avatar

it is a 5% gain from 80 to 100 and that percentage gets even lower the higher level you get. So there really is no point unless you want to do what you accused me of.

20. Toff

Toff Avatar

Nolove 0369, I'm pretty sure we agree on the first part as well. Maybe my thoughts weren't clear in my text but I highly advocate the player who spends both money and time in the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.