Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Should casual players be able to afford

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Mitara, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Should casual players be able to afford a house?

Isnt that just giving everything away. Should it not be that you have to actually work... to be able to afford your place? Shouldnt it be a challenge? Would the game be any fun, if you just got a "free" house?

2. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

a casual player right now can easily afford a row lot. a village lot currently is doable but harder. anything larger is not really doable unless they buy crowns.

i dont have a problem with this. having castles and multi houses claimed and only being able to play 5 hours a week should not be possible unless very high level or a very talented trader crafter or being willing to buy crowns or gold.

if you think you should by default be able to own many plots of land i think your wrong.

this is just my opinion :p

Vrunk Hrrk, Anvar, 4EverLost and 4 others like this.
  3. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Per nonaware's response, I am wondering is that the problem, i.e. are folks concerned about time put in the game versus wanting to own higher tiered lots and/or multiple lots or is it a case of quality of time invested towards making steep tax payments? The former suggests greed while the latter suggests imbalance. Personally, I think the measure of the problem leans more towards the latter. Still, yes, it makes sense that if you're shooting for a castle lot and what not, that considerable time and effort would need to be put in to acquiring and maintaining such, and, yes, those are the breaks if a person had not invested in pledge tiers that ensured tax-free lots. However, if majority of a player's time is directed towards maintaining that lower tier lot and not leaving time to explore or utilize other features of the game that may appeal to the player beyond just trying to stay afloat, I think taxes should be adjusted accordingly as opposed to welfare plans in the form of oracle handouts and such.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  4. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Should Casual players be allowed to play the game?

Isnt that just giving enjoyment away? Should it not be that they have to put in at least 8 hours a day to be able to enjoy the game? Shouldn't it be a challenge? Would they game be any fun if they only play for 4 hours?

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think a row, and possibly even a village, satisfies the need for housing, decorating, storage of items, being part of a community etc.
    I think the prices to maintain these should be relatively cheap, assuming you've already invested hundreds of thousands to buy a deed from another player because of the lotto system, that's a significant investment for a casual player. There is no need for punitive daily taxes on top of that, a nominal fee is all that is really needed to ensure that the player stays active - something like 1/10th of the current cost. If not paid then the lot becomes available for others. I don't think players should be forced to play the game as a second job to pay their mortgage.

Larger lots - towns, cities, castles....yeah ok, this is luxury and I can understand there being a cost to it. If you have a big ol house you're displaying wealth, so you should have to pay. I just think the curve starts a bit too high with the current prices on rows and villages.

6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Here's a modest proposal, if you play less than 4 hours a day, Port should charge you $1 per hour less than 4. That way we can be sure that casuals actually have some skin in the game and are actively contributing to building a better world.

7. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

No, Portalarium should not charge for casual players to play. But, yes, it should be difficult to own and pay taxes on property. I think they have it pretty well set up as is.

Dantuin, Steve2 and Mitara like this.
  8. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Honestly, I wish obtaining a house was more like how it's done in Archeage. I don't like their property system since all the bots just took it all and are selling it for crazy prices to new players looking for housing, but I do like how much of an investment of time it takes to build your house. You need to gather large numbers of resources that take weeks to gather enough of just to build your house. That may sound grindy, but it's also extremely rewarding once you finally get there. There's an actual sense of accomplishment rather than just "meh, I have a house now." Of course that would never happen since it wouldn't work for Port gaining much needed money off of house purchases on the add-on store.

9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

At this point, it seems to me that the design principle revolve around time is money, money is time. Either you sink your money or your time to obtain what you desire. Those who have limited time, but want huge house, they would have to pay extra for tax-free lot. Those who have more time with limited money, they would have to obtain in-game GP and purchase the lot from someone else or the raffle tickets. The mid way between the two would be the taxable lots, which can also be purchased from the add-on.

I believe once there are more lots being introduced into the game via raffle tickets system, people will start figure out the proper price of the lot deeds with in-game golds or COTOs. Then the lot deeds trading will start happening. Who knows, the taxable row lot deeds may end up costing 250k gp (which can be obtainable within couple months) or even cheaper for POT-only version. Right now, all the lot deeds are from pledge rewards, bundle, or add-on stores, so people might be hesitate to sell them or the direct conversion between in-game gold and the real money still seems to be too volatile.

FYI: There are already several homes that you can craft right now. The feedback has been mixed. I hope there will be more options in the near future.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

More modest proposal then, hardcore players should be allowed to attack casual players on sight and get a full loot drop for killing them. This would prevent casuals from being a burden and make the beneficial to the public.

11. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I'm aware. I feel the same and wish there were more options regarding that. I also hear they're not the prettiest or look run-down which doesn't make sense since they're brand-new crafted. It would be kind of cool if your crafting skill determined how shabby looking they turned out since a less skilled craftsman logically would be more prone to making mistakes in building a house.

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Don't forget Permadeath for Casual Players!

Mitara, docdoom77 and Kambrius like this.
  13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I like it! There's no better way to get people to play or pay more than to threaten to take away their stuff if they don't.

14. Gix

Gix Avatar

The whole doll house thing screams "casual", why the hell would you want to take it away from them behind a "you must be this tall to play" barrier?

15. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

You are forgetting we non casuals want something to strive for, I don't want another 'NAME ANY MMO' clone.

In other words please step off your high horse it was a valid question.

Mitara likes this.
  16. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Clearly "someone" wants a free castle in Owl's Head :)

17. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Of course! Isn't that what I said?

18. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Doesn't everyone? I'll take a free castle anywhere tbh lol.

4EverLost and Mitara like this.
  19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I think casual players have every right to be able to afford and own a home, it shouldn't be a privileged item only reserved for those who can stand the grind it takes to keep a house or for those with rent free deeds. It took me several months in UO to get a house but once I did, I could never lose it as long as I logged in to refresh my house. The housing system in Sota is just too punishing in my opinion ( I own rent free deeds so this doesn't effect me ) but I feel this part of the game punishes casuals the most. I mean really, you pay daily????Not weekly, not monthly, daily???

I would like to see a different system in Sota as we had in UO with just logging in to refresh homes, but I think we've already gone down the path of having to pay daily for rent so that will never happen, and with cotos implemented, it's definately not gonna happen. More and more this game becomes even more niche than before. It saddens me to see it's not a game for casuals at all, so I'll never be able to recommend the game to some of my friends. I'm still waiting patiently for a better game all the way around, but I'm no longer as optimistic as I once was.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  20. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

My horse is quite low to the ground and has an awful lot of horsepower. ;)

You are forgetting that casuals want something to strive for, and don't want another 'NAME PAY TO WIN MMO' clone.

Pity though that you cant just let other people play the game without interfering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.