Item to get rid of night ingame

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bamboozle, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

Hey all,

I have a very hard time playing when it's night time ingame. Even with brightest settings and using the light skill, I still find it very challenging to play.

As somebody with bad eye sight, at night, it's a very frustrating experience and I wish there was some sort of fix. I'd even be willing to pay cash for some magical item that makes it sunny all day on my screen.

@DarkStarr

Josh Randall and 3dmark like this.
  2. Liosliath

Liosliath Avatar

Night Vision works better than Light, generally. In some dungeons it actually makes everything darker than nothing at all and you have to use Light instead. It also washes out some of the interface elements making it hard to tell what you have targeted, which is very annoying.

4EverLost likes this.
  3. Makaryus Drach

Makaryus Drach Avatar

Have you tried Night Vision in the Moon Magic tree? I find that while you can't distinguish color, it is far easier to make out your surroundings and is clearer than a torch or Light spell.

Ravicus Domdred and 4EverLost like this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Yeah, in the single player games, you were suppose to camp to fast forward through the night. In SotA, I just go out to the world map, alt-tab and do something else. tbh, it's not a mechanic I enjoy at all.

Josh Randall likes this.
  5. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Yeah, night vision is alright in that regard. Anytime I use night vision I also douse all the wall torches in the area and that helps too.

6. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

I've tried using night vision and it helps a bit... But it's kind of sad that you are playing half your time in a mode where you can't actually enjoy the visual aspects of the game.

Removing or minimizing this mechanic for some via an item of sorts would be huge IMO.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I remember there are reasons for the night being on the dark side plans, probably on the jira list to get done, and dark was said to be designed to have things go bump in the night, like different creature spawn or more nightly type of creatures. Of course as with all systems in Shrouds, none are complete atm ;). I do agree that seeing in the dark is difficult at times. Perhaps we need a night vision mask to craft or something to take some of the pain away and believe it or not, it is better than it was. Glow from the moon like umm different like planets and stuff are beautiful imo though.;)

edited

StevieD likes this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I like how night time is in Grunvald Shardfall. It gets dark at night but you can still see what you're doing.

9. 3dmark

3dmark Avatar

My heart sinks when I log in and see that it's evening. Just can't stand the night. If we must have night at all, please make it the "late night" degree of darkness. Late night is clearly darker than day, and has that purplish tinge, but at least you can see.

Bamboozle likes this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I had this same problem. The cure for me was to go into the graphics settings for my video card. In my case it was the nvidea control panel. There I specified to let nvidea control the graphics settings instead of the application. I tweaked up the overall brightness a bit and everything is peachy. I need to do this each time I play the game.

11. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Light spells are annoying because the ball of fire is always in your camera view while you walk.
    Late night always seems brighter than day in the zones I go to.
    The knight's cloak light source is very bright I guess because I need nothing else right now. We'll see next release. :p

12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

btw @Bamboozle if you are using nvidea chips, just right click on your desktop to bring up the video control gump.

Josh Randall likes this.
  13. Vidgrip

Vidgrip Avatar

Dark nights are one of my favorite things about SotA. Hunting in the dark is dangerous. I think it should be. Harvesting in the dark is difficult. That makes sense, too. Should you invest training in magic to dispel the dark? Should you unequip your shield to hold a torch? Should you just stay in town and craft at night? These are important decisions. I love that SotA requires us to make such decisions. I don't want to play a game that allows me to ignore the environment because it isn't really important. The world in which we adventure should matter. Seasons should matter. Weather should matter. Night should matter. If everything we can do in daylight can also be done at night, Brittania will have become a lesser world.

14. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

+1 this

I can't stand the darkness of this game myself - I have the brightness turned all the way up even in the day, also adjusting the contrast will help a bit as well

@Bamboozle I completely feel ya on this - todays games do very little in consideration of those with disabilities or physical difficulties. And of course few in the player base have sympathy since the attitude of "it's ok for me" is rampant.

If you need assistance trying to adjust your graphic card there are many here that can and will help with instructions

@Aldo I believe you can set up a command line file to set your graphics card before you enter the game - could save you some time?

15. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Thanks for the info.... Really everytime I start my computer, I open the video gump and click "let N-videa control the color settings" This stays active until I reboot, so no hassle. BTW this suggestion was from one of the scene designers (I don't remember who).

Josh Randall likes this.
  16. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Night is basically pointless. It has a remedial effect on a couple of spells and that's it. It only benefits the RP dress-up crowd.

Additional creatures at night. Stronger creatures at night. Bandit raids at night. Chance of lunacy as a debuff. Something. Anything.

Josh Randall and mrsevenhands like this.
  17. Makaryus Drach

Makaryus Drach Avatar

I quoted myself instead of editing my first post.

I use Night Vision because I find it's more useful than Light in regards to clarity, but no to ridding the game of "night" or an immersive level of darkness that this game needs. I have sight issues and a bit of trouble but would never trade immersion for accessibility (in this case). I'll get a better graphics card.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    4EverLost likes this.
  18. Resolute

Resolute Avatar

I actually thought that dark wasn't really that dark except for a very short window around midnight. Most of the time it's more like dawn/dusk feel.

If anything they should actually increase the truly dark part into the early/late night.

19. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

It should be variable to the moon phases just like IRL

Different spawns should be added. (other than high Nightshade pickins lol)

20. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

We would have to ask @DarkStarr or @Chris If they would ever have an option for those of us with eye problems to be able to have an option to lessen the darkness of night without having to crank the brightness settings to wash out the game?

3dmark and Josh Randall like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.