New PC Gamer article calls UO "one of the best MMOs ever"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tekkamansoul, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

2. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Author never played SOTA .....

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

To this day UO is the most nostalgic game I have ever played. I always come back to wanting to play it. I really hope they make a new UO2 someday. UO with better graphics is all I want really :)

Ibad, Study_Break, Leelu and 4 others like this.
  4. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

UO2 existed (renamed to Ultima Worlds Online: Origin), and then killed by EA, before launch.

Lets go to remember one of those precious gems from Origin system..

For that time the animations were really good and I always thought EA, again, fucked up another great project.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    mass, Sentinel, Elfenwahn and 4 others like this.
  5. agra

agra Avatar

It was great until you couldn't leave town without dyin'. Then it was sort of less great, unless you were the one killin' instead of dyin'. :)

Right up until all the ones dyin' ran off to Everquest. Then it was just lonely. :(

Nadomir likes this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

That never bothered me much. I guess I just took it as game play and enjoyed it. It was never real life butthurt for me.

Bom, Leelu, Rada Torment and 2 others like this.
  7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Ultima was amazing when it started because it was first. It took the best of the text based games and brought them to life. I don't think they ever really expected what it would grow into or the lack of compassion that would carry accross the Internet. It Was a great game then they turned it into grinding for that one item to drop, then giving safety and trying to Bait players into PVP with scrolls.

It was amazing because it was new and different it didn't chase after others it made its own path. I am not sure if Sota will ever get there, if lightning can strike twice but, this is a start. Now can they bring in the new and not just a UO2 with better graphics is the question.

Hazard, tekkamansoul and Pikegirl like this.
  8. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

If EA decides to make a improved UO remake this game here will get into trouble ^^ But they won't. The industry is not taking risks anymore and the big kick-starters just cash in on nostalgia without delivering.

Apollyon9515 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

In regards to content, UO has literally everything. It is an absolute MONSTER of an MMO that will never be able to be rivaled by another MMO, period.

Player owned towns, Mini-games, Naval combat, GPS, Meta pets, Arcade style fighting, Pseudoseer mob possession, Airship battles.. Every type of system imaginable exists in UO, and practically all of it has been tested extensively. This is because there's been decades of development by hundreds of people, if you consider EA funded development, freeshard donation funded development, and then the other few hundred people at least who just make UO content for fun.

You really can't compare UO to anything else. Everquest was the first 3d MMO of the genre, and for that reason there is also a certain nostalgia behind it. Even WoW which has been heavily funded for years will never top UO in total content, because their content development is limited only to developers under their payroll. Most of their success lays in their advertisement.

UO was the first MMO, and therefore is the most nostalgic of all MMO's. People just keep coming back over the years, to try and get even just a taste of that special feeling they got when the game first came out, and when they get there, there's plenty of hooks to keep them satisfied. It's really become a platform for testing various systems on the masses.

The game will simply never die, it will never be truly rivaled by any new MMO that comes out, including SotA. Some people's expectations are way too high in thinking that SotA should be 'better' than UO. By 2036, when SotA will have been around for two decades, UO will still have been around for four whole decades! SotA is crowdfunded and has about 1000 less developers than UO does, and will always be 20 years behind in development by comparison.

I just want people to let that sink in a little. Yes, SotA should aspire to eventually have as much content as UO does, but realistically it's going to take a ton of time. Actually quite a bit of the best content from UO already exists in SotA, like player owned towns.

I guess the best way to say it is that, UO wasn't built in one day, and neither was this guys house:

[​IMG]
    House creator: S berlusconi

At any rate, some might argue that UO will eventually lose population when all us old timers pass on, but that's not even true because there's tons of young kids that play, and yes on full loot servers especially. Those tiny wrists they have make them pretty sweet PvPers. I could go on and on about the qualities of UO, even aside from content, but I think the picture really says it all.

I for one am super happy with SotA, likely because my expectations are realistic. I hope this writ mayhaps will help some others feel the same way!

Alcyon, Hazard, Apollyon9515 and 6 others like this.
  10. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

In SotA every design decision feels kinda rushed and not thought through. Not saying everything worked out fine in UO (mob economy fail), but you could clearly see they implemented what they had in mind, not kinda like what can we do real quick to quench it in.

Port really doesn't communicate well on the game-play mechanics they have in mind... it's all don't lawyer me bro. In the end they have to accept that ppl claim the devs don't have a real plan.

Why are they evading the question what is PVPs function lore wise? They should have an answer, but the question has been dodged every Post Mortem now.
    I claim there is no answer, because they kinda develop as they go and there is no clear vision what SotA will be. I'd wish they could counter that claim...

In R33 PM they kinda announced they will release info on a new system regarding factions etc? Did any info follow?
    What about the plans for more zones or high tier PVE content? There should be plans, or not?

Why aren't they telling us about it?

Look at the road map... it says nothing at all.

11. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

The only thing EA does well.

Snazz and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. Galder

Galder Avatar

It was, it is, and it will always be the best.

Apollyon9515 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  13. Rada Torment

You have never play it and you are saying EA did well cancelling the project? what a unfair comment tbh.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  14. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

The ONLY thing EA does well is RUIN games like they did by cancelling UO2 and spoiling UO. Plus Ruining DAoC and cancelling DAoC 2. You did not seem to understand what I said :(

Apollyon9515 and Rada Torment like this.
  15. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well I was always blaming EA on ruining UO and the later Ultimas... Sota got me thinking it maybe wasn't all their fault after all ;)

Apollyon9515 likes this.
  16. Rada Torment

Oh, now I get it ;), apologize for the misunderstanding.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  17. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

I could have posted it better also. But I so dislike EA in any way shape or form.

Rada Torment likes this.
  18. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

EA does not make games (on pc I never use the consoles ) they change for the worse and make it so the players that were playing the early versions leave. In fact they said we do not want veterans we want the 8 year olds. This was on UO forums when we complained about Trammel.

19. Borg

Borg Avatar

Have you ever played UO?

E n v y and Apollyon9515 like this.
  20. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I think its kinda like in Star Wars Galaxies... Where the guy named John Smedley fucked it all up claiming he knows better than all the veterans.
    Developers have to realize they are better at programming a game, but we usually are better at playing them. And if the players say it sucks, they are usually right.
    Look at any interview or review of this game on gaming sites. Gamers don't like this game for many reasons we all know... we still got time to fix it.
    But every Release it gets harder and harder and so far I am underwhelmed with R34... But like I said have to stay optimistic they will realize it.

Ibad and Nhili Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.