Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Health and focus Regen rate

Discussion in 'Release 34 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Lord Stein, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I wish there was a spell similar to life drain but would leach mana instead. If there is one I do not know about it. Soul tap is another option. Possibly this could drive alchemist mana pot sales.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  2. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

I'm already using these pretty regularly in r33 to get thru content and avoid running out of mana. :p
    I'm hoping the next generation of pots have more of an upside.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  3. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

It is not just you mages with regen issues, as a pure archer, I have to regen after every single kill, my archery skills, the ones worth using eats a lot of power, especially when it takes several arrows (so using the skill several times) to take mobs down. and if more then 1 mob on me, well then, that means even a longer power down time.

4. moko

moko Avatar

Same for mix-mages, I use a lot of skills and am out of focus regularly. This really reduces playability for me :/

Nhili Dragon, lollie, Budner and 2 others like this.
  5. Horance

Horance Avatar

Even as a fighter, I'm regularly running out of focus after killing a few enemies. All the fighting skills (blade, shield and heavy armor in my case) use focus and the default attack does really little damage compared to them.
    Being low focus generally implies retreat or death. This decision to lower health and focus regeneration, without any viable alternative, is very concerning.

6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

How about Health and Focus potions?

7. Horance

Horance Avatar

Currently, potions provide too few health or focus points to be interesting at all. I'm not sure I really want to consume two or more focus potions after killing each enemy.

Nhili Dragon, lollie, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  8. Study_Break

Study_Break Avatar

This is idiotic. What the **** are the devs thinking? Are they trying to drive people away from the game? Who would want to play if you have to stand for several minutes out of combat to regen focus? How do you manage to sustain a fight longer than a few minutes? How are new players supposed to manage this? How are new players supposed to afford to buy potions/food to help w/ focus management when they've nerfed the **** out of making gold?

Just goes to show developers have no idea about the consequences of their decisions, just look at the R33 feedback. Who the **** would ever bother playing a tamer now? They nerfed the **** out of making gold which only hurts the newer players who don't have anything. Does anyone even bother doing Sanctus CP any more? I'll bet they'll nerf SC, BB, and ER CPs next. Just hit level 100, what's going to be left for higher level players to do? How does this make the game more attractive for new players?

We'll see on Thursday, but if I can't get decent regen w/ food, I'll probably have a good reason to take a little break from the game. Doesn't sound like there's much to look forward to with this next release but more nerfbats that make it harder to keep playing the game.

9. Krytian

Krytian Avatar

I understand the attempt to rebalance the game and make cooking more viable, however this is excessive. I hope @DarkStarr and @LordBritish are seeing this post because if the changes go through as set then eventually you'll drive the game to the ground. Expanding food is nice but there is no real reason to nerf the regens to the point where it becomes impossible to play. If you want to make changes to focus/health regen then you should have the regen linked to the stats (for example as your int goes up your regen goes up). This means that at lvl 1 you don't regen focus in 5 seconds and when your lvl 50 you don't have to spend 10 minutes regen-ing focus. This also makes food viable at all levels as food really should be used to augment regen rates not replace them completely. As of right now if you do this then it'll make all content close to impossible to do. Please take this into consideration and maybe postpone the regen nerf until you've considered the ramifications it will have to the game as a whole.

10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Potions aren't a solution either, its just adding yet another cost to actually going out to fight.
    Regen should be put back to how it was.
    Food should increase it slightly - people will buy it for the slight increase of 3-5 points.
    Nice food could also add temp stat bonuses to str/dex/int/foc/health
    Really nice food could add multiple effects or last longer.
    There was no reason whatsoever to mess with the regen rates.

Just as a test on the live server (R33) it takes 50 seconds of standing there (out of combat) for my focus to regen from empty to full - my focus pool is 708.

I would think there is plenty of room to improve this with food, without needing to nerf it first. 50 seconds of stood around is really not acceptable downtime as things stand now.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Update to test on QA server:

For reference purposes, I am wearing the 0.1 focus regen hood masterwork...for all the good it does me!

Live Server focus empty to full: 50 seconds
    QA Server focus empty to full:(No food): 5 minutes 28 seconds
    QA Server focus empty to full:(Ardoris Coleslaw, +2.5 focus regen): 3 minutes 32 seconds

This is so far beyond unacceptable there are no words.
    What exactly are you supposed to do for 3-5 minutes between fights? Stand around? Clean your monitor perhaps?
    The only thing I could come up with is go afk, tab out of game, or do something else.
    In fact, while doing this test I had time to download and install something to make a video, and was going to post one of my character just stood there for 5 minutes doing nothing, but I don't think anyone would sit there and watch it, because it would be incredibly boring. Kind of like sitting there watching it in the game.

I have a pretty decent selection of food on hand and 2.5 focus regen for 1 hr seems to be the best option. Even with adding the additional cost of food alongside reagent costs etc. you still can't get anywhere near back to where you were, regen-wise.
    I'm sorry, its just not good enough.

I haven't levelled up mind wipe so can't test this with spellbinder stance, but based on the tooltip (lvl 1- +1 focus regen) I'm not holding my breath that this is the solution. Maybe it would shave off another 30 sec or so.
    Why in the world would you want to add a mechanic that causes players to afk after every fight?
    What does this add to the game experience?
    I sincerely hope this is adjusted.

Sir Brenton, Acred, Womby and 12 others like this.
  12. moko

moko Avatar

I have to agree 100% with @kaeshiva, with QA regen rates the gameplay loses all fluidity and it effectively prevents me from PVE in areas I'm supposedly able to play in (yellow mobs).

I really hope @Chris @DarkStarr and the other team members find some time to read though all these valid points in this thread an reconsider the planned change.

13. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

Maybe they can provide us with "Please Wait" signs that we can hold up, so the mobs will know to wait till we are regened before they continue attacking.

Sir Brenton, Gravidy, Chatele and 4 others like this.
  14. lollie

lollie Avatar

Maybe they want us to tab out and play another game instead? No that can't be it...we'd probably end up just playing that other game and closing down this one to free up resources. Obviously they don't want us to do that!

15. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Wouldn't doubt seeing it soon, "Health and focus regeneration coto potions coming to a vendor near you, now you too can pay to regenerate health and focus faster to play normally." :mad:

I got tired of having to watch a movie or play another game while playing this one, so that's what I ended up having to do. Play something else and come back when it's released to see how it is. There's just too much punishment and boredom involved with Sota and very little fun to be found.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  16. lollie

lollie Avatar

I'm switching out the combat music for this track -

And the game music for this track, for while I wait to actually play again -

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Chatele and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

BTW, the intent was that food would come on line and replace the base regen rates BUT only part of the food system is there and players are left with having to eat every 30 minutes just to stay alive. For R34 we'll have it at 75% of what it was for R33. Our intention is to drop it some more in future releases but we can't do that until there is a food system that makes that feasible.

Acred, Womby, Elnoth and 14 others like this.
  18. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Sounds like I'll be using passive stance and my heal spells a lot more frequently to get my focus and health back.

Acred and Oba Evesor like this.
  19. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Just curious, what's it set at now? Its not 75%.

Acred, Chatele and Winter Dragon like this.
  20. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Like the majority of posts in this thread and the impending decay numbers quoted by testers, both of which I hasten to add I haven't personally tested on Q&A I'm more than a little concerned on how the dev's are taking this forward especially if they're being unleashed in R34.

I play a pure mage with a focus pool of 735 and cross match tree skills to suit each situation, I mainly play the game as a fun thing to do of an evening after the trials and tribulations of the working day and I'm seriously concerned these latest advancements will make SotA become almost a second job to me and thats not why I play games and nor do the majority of players.

Whilst I'm fairly hardcore as a player like many committed to the SotA vision, making it so I've got to stare at the screen blankly like in the early days of EQ when you'd meditate staring at an image of a spell book waiting for my stats to regen between every fight the key thing to remember is unlike eighteen years ago the playing (and in some cases paying) public have a bigger pool of game choices out there to select from and archaic changes like this with too slow regen or death penalties WILL drive casual players away for certain and reduce the will of even hardcore players to invest (monetarily and physically) further in the games development even if you make significant changes to revert back later something more balanced as the damage will be done and an indelible image cast in the playing community's mind.

I agree we need both elements included within the game but surely it's better to put them in then move the difficulty 'UP' incrementally to gauge the community's general feedback in game and not just the 'noise' on the forums that hates change and openly says so.

A very concerned Fungus

Acred, Nhili Dragon and moko like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.