Overhead map travel slowdown ...why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NZguzzi, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I saw the complaints about this in the QA areas before it went live and expected something dramatic when I tried it in game with release R34. Funny thing, I walked from Desolis to Collosus the first time and didnt even notice it. I only noticed it when I walked back (since I was also a little over weight).

Seriously people... This is such non-issue that its amazing. I simply jumped over to a road and was back to normal speed as I went to Brit.

People are so hyper sensitive to minor things, this new idea of community backed games is an utter failure, people cannot deal with change. What has happened is that for alpha, the devs have allowed to people to walk faster around the maps and now as they tighten up the game, they have slowed it down and people flip out because they are used to easy mode stuff (aka, test mode, things are accelerated for short wipe periods).

we have like 6 months more off the devs turning of easy mode things (oh man, just wait for skill decay)... if people cant handle this then the poo is gonna hit the fan real fast.

Figure this... eventually you will have roaming encounters on the map to compete with as well as things like mounts the make you move faster.

I've said it many times now, they should only have opened up alpha to QA++ level people and limited it to the normal player base like normal betas.

Im ready for beast mode... bring it on devs... lets get these easy mode alpha things turned off.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

There are things you can implement to make the game challenging and actually fun. There are also things you can implement to make the game challenging and frustrating for absolutely no reason.

3. Superjuice

Superjuice Avatar

The biggest issue I have with it in its current state is how quickly the speed changes when you barely cross over to a new terrain (slightly veering off the road, for instance) and how absolutely inconsistent the whole system feels. Often times when running through a wooded area I slam to a halt only to speed up when I enter what the game considers a grassy area and then slow down again 3 seconds later. It is extremely annoying and feels poorly implemented, maybe some fine tuning on QA before implementation might have made this better received.

Gamician, roosota, Cally and 5 others like this.
  4. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

And connect the roads to PRT's

roosota, Cally, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Couple problems here.

1. You read about QA but did not participate. speed was increased a little since that thread started and before release. Thank you testers for alleviating some of the pain.

2. Eventually is used to much... Yes eventually we will have mounts to speed up overland travel. Hey, common sense here slow people down after you bring in Mounts into the game. Wow now there is an available option to alleviate the pain and no one screaming. Eventually we have tier 6 food to help your MR. Hey lower MR when Tier 6 food comes in.

This all depends on what type of game you want to play. For me I want to go into scenes with friends and have a good time. I don't want to run around in circles on and overland map looking for encounters in single player mode to level up enough to enter a scene. When I was 16 and that was the only option, fine. Now I am Older and hopefully a little smarter....slowing down travel and keeping players from getting to where They want to be is not smart development for a game.

Gamician, roosota, Bamboozle and 6 others like this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

1) This is actually not your place to tell me how to play this game. I chose not to "participate" because the last time I did (running both clients in R32 then upgrading the main client to R32) blew out my SOTA build and required me to rebuild win10 and resulted in the first month after release having a game that took 3 minutes to zone, 10 fps in zones and 2 minutes wait to load my own deed plots. Until I figured it out after many re installs of SOTA, this stifled me in play and our PvP tournaments when persistence hit and it mattered. FTI: Win10 rebuild completely fixed this. I may chose to do so again when I am more set with my character.

Simple fact is this is how it is, you have had "easy mode" in alpha and now you get "beast mode". This game is advertised as a successor to Ultima and UO in a sandbox way, you should not be surprised that the over world map behaves like them and has encounters. Many people feel its more "immersive" and I actually agree. But I... am not going to tell you how you should play or how you should feel about the game. just point out some obvious things to you.

4EverLost, Ravicus Domdred and Leelu like this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Boredom is not challenging in a game, it's just boring.

8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I am sorry you feel that way and had system problems. But,
    If you post about something you never experienced and call people whiners that don't like change. Then I will comment. I am not telling you how to play I am telling you, you are wrong for commenting like that.

As for being billed as the successor to a game does not mean identical, it may actually mean better (in more than just graphics) if the Devs do it right.

And lastly as these are all just opinions on how this game should be on final release it is good to get a lot of people's point of view and then work on developing something that can appease the masses, not just a few. It's my opinion that this part of the game should be forced in single player and optional in multiplayer. Best of both worlds. And it should never have been implemented until mounts were available In game. Not 6-12 months out.

4EverLost, Leelu and FrostII like this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Here's a suggestion, Portalarium .

Put the overworld travel speeds on a toggle for a month.

Let us choose our R33 speeds or the newer more "immersive" R34 speed.

Track how all the players set their overworld speeds for that month.

See just how many backers choose to leave it slow or speed it up....

That way you'll know how we feel about traveling the overworld.

Either that, or leave the "immersion" of actually walking crawling among those mini overworld trees very slowly to the people in Single Player who somehow require it for their enjoyment.
    And leave us who want to adventure together out of that "immersion" - please.

Gamician, Leelu and Bamboozle like this.
  10. Rip Saya

Rip Saya Avatar

If I want easy, I'll go watch a movie or series. Easy sucks in a game.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What sucks even more in a game - is boredom.

12. Rip Saya

Rip Saya Avatar

One person's grind is another person's adventure. If people cannot be bothered to walk, they should not be playing in the first place. Mounts and such will be coming. It will give people a reason to want them.

4EverLost likes this.
  13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

You are absolutely right. Which is why people who want fast travel should have the ABILITY to fast travel. Those of you who want to move slow, can do so at your leisure.

Whereas the CURRENT system requires ALL of us to move slowly, regardless of our personal preference. So the game mechanics are preventing the exact value you advocate, i.e. different playstyle/preferences.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

this is the game mechanics from the begining. The overland map and the random encounters are all tied into it. You cannot bypass them (well you can recall and teleport now). This is and has been the design. It has been in most of the Ultima games in the past.

4EverLost likes this.
  15. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

My wife and I used to have a dog,that every time we changed anything in our home, he would sniff and snort,letting us know he was unhappy.

The same applied in the business world I was in,when things changed people freaked out. They freaked out more if the changes made took something from them or changed something they already had.

If @Berek or @DarkStarr announce changes,we all need to not look at how it affects "us" but the overall game. as we have seen in the past,if something gets changed and it is obviously too radical, they come back and adjust it.

As in the real world,you travel faster on roads rather than in a meadow or forest. Although all of us may have been "straight line travelers" in the past,it's not a big deal to adjust to the new travel system. :);)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

In R33 movement was fine, finally. And now it's slower. They keep see-sawing on this (and other issues). There has been no consistency in this design nor has any SPECIFIC design ever been articulated.

I understand the need for flexibility and long-term planning in game design. However I don't understand Port's insistence, in various contexts, for creating BORING playing conditions. There is a vast difference between CHALLENGE and NEEDLESSLY INFLICTED BOREDOM. It is not CHALLENGING to slowly walk the overland map. It is however BORING.

BTW if you want to stick with UO game design in the context of travel then by all means let's have runes with gating and recall. Let's not just pick some travel designs that suck and avoid the ones that would actually improve the game.

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

This is an RPG game Budner. If you get bored with games that have immersion and depth then I do not know what to tell you. Many of us are not bored by placing ourselves in a living breathing world that we enjoy. I cannot fathom why people want to just make this game as bland and boring as a housing sims game. You all should move to one pot and do everything there. You can dance, eat, drink, swear, have hot tub parties and have your own little sim society. The rest of us can play the game as intended as a single player game that you can play online with your friends AS ORIGINALLY INTENDED.

18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I refuse to recognize slow travel on the overland map and other purely time-sucking mechanics as "immersion and depth" that enhance gameplay more than detract from it. And there's nothing more "bland and boring" than wasting time doing boring things. You wanna move slow, walk. Meanwhile let me run. Then we can both win.

And don't act like the "original intent" of the game was to have a certain overland travel speed. That is just b.s. You're just imposing your own specific standard of what's acceptable for this mechanic and acting like you know it was RG's intent to have that particular standard. R33 off-road travel speed wouldn't ruin this game. Please.

19. Joeble

Joeble Avatar

I have to say that last night I was a bit peeved when I first started moving around the overland map. It took a few moments to get used to being on the road (I regularly run/boat from Aerie to Brittany) Unencumbered seemed fine to me, a bit slower but really not a big deal.

Then I hit an encounter....green skeletons and a bunch of nodes to harvest. Alrighty, that was good too. Even some challenging guys would have been ok, since I was on my way to hunt and harvest anyway.

Encumbered...now that hurts. :p But then again, we all know that hurts, which is why I usually recall when I am 0.5 under my limit. :p

I am sure the next one is going to be boats...those great instant voyages are going to turn into slower adventures I am sure.

Overall, not a huge deal.

4EverLost likes this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Many things are ruining this game. Immersion is not one of them. Its the uncaring mmo crowd that does not care about game mechanics and wants instant gratification that is IMO. They do not care about any game other than socializing and easy mode. I'm afraid this game is already lost and controlled by the mmo crowd. I have a feeling that is why Richard never posts anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.