Overhead map travel slowdown ...why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NZguzzi, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Virtually every major RPG franchise has phased out or at least downplayed random encounters in the last decade, what spin is Port going to put on them to make them useful where some many have identified them as detrimental to the game loop? Dropping the player in the middle of a scene that they've been dropped in dozens of times before, where the only action they'll take is to dash full speed towards the exit? Port hasn't even managed to make the majority of their normal scenes interesting and you think these are going to be any better? The load screens to get in and out of the scene will last longer that 90% of the experiences in the scene.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Budner likes this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

The roving encounters will be seen on the map. Monsters or NPCs wandering around. They won't be invisible random encounters like we had them until now.

3. sake888

sake888 Avatar

This thread is funny.

The MUCH bigger issue here is the time it takes to enter and exit a scene. Comparing this increased overhead travel time to some locations, pales in comparison to the actual load times that a player experiences once they have walked from point A to B. Load times are BRUTAL. The worst part of the game if you ask me. I enter/exit a scene and bam, immersion is broken as I stare at my walls only to have my thoughts of Novia replaced with thoughts of what color should I go with when I repaint. This happens ALOT, way too much.

If anything, lets plead for load times to be shortened/optimized. This is where where people grow beards and miss out on their children going off to college.

redfish, Kambrius and The Hendoman like this.
  4. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

say that when you're carrying 5000 ore to your new house across the map from the bank it was in!!

Don't touch the sides!!!
    [​IMG]

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Thing is its not immersive, its not difficult.......its just pointless and increases the boredom level.

docdoom77, FrostII and Xandra7 like this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It seems that powergamers somehow feel offended. If they cannot rush to get their ressources or to get to the next level then this game is not fun. For some, there is more to a game. Exploration for example or immersion (he said the dreaded word!!!).
    Also for me this thread shows that some people think that SotA should be "finished" in terms of features right now. Overland map up to now was a fast way to travel and now becomes a different gameplay element. But this was the plan from the beginning! The overland "map" was meant to be another gameplay layer on which things can happen and now that the "map" changes to this and finally becomes what it was meant to be, people start to complain. This is ridiculous.

7. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Well the guy has a point. The worst thing for me is crashing on zoning. It happens to me a lot, but I can't complain about it because I am after all playing under the RAM requirement. However I have a feeling that random encounters happen more frequently on the road, so I kind of wish there was a toggle that we could choose to avoid random encounters if we wanted to.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The overhead map is the delivery system for the evolving content. If there is a "bad guy" and this bad guy is intent on accomplishing goals. The map is how we know where to find the action.

We can see when a city is being attacked by this bad guy or it's minions. The list could go on the advantages of this method of content delivery is robust. I don't know of any games that do anything like this so I am not surprised to see people less than excited about it.

9. sake888

sake888 Avatar

I get the impression that some people would be in favor of a global undead nuke spell that would rid Novia of these insidious creatures in one fell swoop. I mean just think of all the time we are wasting not having such a spell. We could log on, cast the spell, rid Novia of the undead plague and then log off having won the game. Anything and everything else is just a waste of precious time and not fun.

Kambrius and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  10. bloodluv

bloodluv Avatar

As in the real world, i walk the same speed through meadows and forests as i do on roads

FrostII likes this.
  11. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

eventually I imagine they will add mounts, which I'm guessing will not be affected by differing movement speeds on the overworld map.

My guess is that this change will help add incentive to get a mount and the added desire to care for it by brushing its mane, feeding it apples and bathing it daily.

12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I know and they'll still spawn underneath you half the time. I'd like to think that Port could make encounters an interesting, but I don't see much evidence that they will.

13. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The map speed is about as frustrating and immersive as getting stuck behind someone towing a caravan on a long journey. It's not good.

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You are aware that mounts will not be introduced until Episode 2, right ?
    Would you be fine with these slow walks on the overworld for another year or two ?
    How about they save slow, boring overworld walks until we actually DO have the option to ride !

docdoom77 and Bamboozle like this.
  15. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Here's a little fake insider info for ya, pretty sure they're coming out with r35 ;)

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Good luck with that.

jammaplaya likes this.
  17. Mekong

Mekong Avatar

No you don't.

18. bloodluv

bloodluv Avatar

Yes i do.

19. Travitar

Travitar Avatar

I'd like to travel the overland map in a carriage, and have such rich content between towns that I'm nearly guaranteed to have some kind of adventure if I'm going to travel any 'serious' distance.

20. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Well..since I was going for a walk anyways...I decided to do some timing.

Walking on a sidewalk...same speed.
    Walking in the park...same speed
    Walking up hill...same speed...but more tiring. But since I am fit....same speed. I imagine overweight computer geeks locked in Moms basement might have a bit more trouble. So immersion for them would be slowing down.
    Walking through the woods...same speed. Imagine, I avoided the trees! How novel.

There is no immersion in slowing down if you walk on grass instead of concrete. Or on forest paths instead of sidewalks. Not if you are fit. I suggest all you 'immersion junkies' get off the computer and actually go out and exercise. Your health demands it.

docdoom77, FrostII, Bamboozle and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.