Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Stop force loading combat deck

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by ChairStacker, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChairStacker

ChairStacker Avatar

When traveling through a scene, I usually prefer to use my non-combat deck, which contains buffs, and utility spells like light and speed.

However, if any hostile mob hits me, then my combat deck automatically loads.

Because buff duration is so short, I often buff before engaging each group of mobs. So auto-loading the combat deck is very annoying.

Can we have an option to stop the combat deck from auto-loading when attacked?

This auto-load seems broken now anyway, because when the combat deck auto-loads, it doesn't actually put me in combat mode - I still have to press Z to draw my weapon.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

The reason why the combat bar force-loads when a mob hits you, as well as a simple solution to this error is beautifully described in a post below by Borg:

Any of our swell dev's care to respond?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Agree, I'd like to choose when I'm ready to fight ;)

3. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Or ready to keep running! I think some things will not be castable in combat though. Hence the original intent perhaps.

lollie and Olthadir like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

easier fix actually create and alt deck that contains the things you want to use if / when you get engaged while oyu just want to run thru - then if it happens your "buffs" are still there and there is no issue.

Nadomir and Damian Killingsworth like this.
  5. jutman

jutman Avatar

Inconvient.

Dane Sardock and uhop like this.
  6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I agree with the OP. It is extremely annoying when my combat deck auto-activates, especially when I am fleeing in the dark and my light spell (only in my non-combat deck) goes out. :eek:

Oddly enough, even though the combat deck is then active, no weapon is drawn, so you can't hit anything. :confused:

7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

It does feel a very confused state, combat without a weapon..

zyxe and Kara Brae like this.
  8. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

This is a case of the interface directly conflicting with what the player intends to do.

I don't think there's any good reason to just not allow them to control their own combat mode? There's no reason to force the character out of using certain skills.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

This is the only thing that I can say that I agree on. If I'm going to be in combat mode, then make me draw my weapon without the hassle.

@Quenton @Chairstacker
    The reason why I disagree with the rest is because we have 10 slots for combat-related skills for a reason. If you could just cast your COMBAT BUFFS from your non-combat bar DURING COMBAT, well it defeats the purpose of limiting you to 10 skills.

If it doesn't fit on your combat bar, then you shouldn't be using it unless you use the "Swap Deck" skill.

Gaelis likes this.
  10. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

make NORMAL MODE --> COMBAT MODE only manual!
    and the COMBAT MODE --> NORMAL MODE managed by the client like now.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I like it, and think of it as the chaos you might experience in your head, by being attacked! It makes sense that you can get 'fighty' without your weapon drawn in this sense.. you can choose to engage in battle from there (with a headstart on cooldown) and draw your weapon OR keep running and you will calm your thoughts, if you can escape pursuers! Seems fine as is.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Sadly, I've just settled on creating a combat deck that mimics my non-combat hotbar so I can run through hostile territory and still use my movement spells. Its annoying that it takes up one of our already limited decks, and I always forget to switch back to my standard deck after I'm where i want to go, but at least it works.

Kara Brae likes this.
  13. Gix

Gix Avatar

Then I suggest you put your movement spells in your main combat-bar or use the "swap deck" skill.

You're not supposed to have access to everything at once. You're supposed to make choices that impact how you fight (or don't fight). If you played a TCG or games like Diablo III and/or GuildWars, you'd understand that your combat bar is just one extra layer of "character spec" that goes beyond the skills trees.

That's the whole reason why glyphs shuffle, so that multiple "situational" skills can take the same slot so that you're not over-committing a particular skill you may or may not use. "Escape", "Poison" and "Distract" are glyphs that share the same slot because I don't always use them.

14. Browncoat Jayson

Not valid. I already have to have a Ranged and Bludgeon deck to be able to survive while fighting, since Ranged only hits one enemy and requires a ton of arrows.

Nor did I ask to have access to everything. Just limit combat skills to when my character is attacking. That should be valid. If they want to limit out-of-combat spells, like buffs, so they can't be cast while being attacked then that is fine. I'm not going to eat a plate of oysters while running for my life. But don't make us fight the UI to get basic capabilities to work as expected. And frankly, I've played D3 and Guild Wars, and I'm playing SotA because its not them.

As I said, I've found a workaround that I was sharing. Its still got annoyances, but its better than the behavior we get out of the box.

Nhili Dragon and uhop like this.
  15. Gix

Gix Avatar

So your problem goes beyond the action bars, then.

Buffs are combat spells. You're circumventing the system by using them in out-of-combat situations and you're complaining when you actually get into combat because you're using the non-combat bar as a second bar.

I'd blame the system for allowing it, but your problem is also on you.

Oh, the "this is SotA and not some other game" argument... this got nowhere fast.

Gaelis and Fister Magee like this.
  16. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Building another deck for this reason in particular would be a fine solution if we weren't limited to only 6 decks. 6 decks is nowhere near enough for me to add another deck for this purpose.

17. Browncoat Jayson

I'm not using it for combat buffs, I'm using it for movement buffs. Which is why I don't want to switch to combat. I'm sorry you are confused, but "buffs" are not just "combat buffs". The issue is that I'm not using it as a second combat bar, but that I actually want to NOT GET INTO COMBAT until I actually engage. An enemy hitting me is not enough to make that happen.

Chairstacker and uhop like this.
  18. Borg

Borg Avatar

I agree with OP, the fact that you get attacked doesn't mean you want to enter combat mode, actually its not just an annoyance but also a great disadvantage because the attacker is already in combat mode with all spells ready and you have to suffer all cool-downs before you can even heal yourself. Somehow we are forced to always stay in combat mode.

Chairstacker and Lord Baldrith like this.
  19. ChairStacker

ChairStacker Avatar

I tried this, and there is a 100 focus cost for each deck swap (-200 total focus to swap twice), which is about 1/4 of my total focus. That also takes about 10 seconds. Easier fix is actually what I suggested.

20. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Yeah...it would be awesome to be able to loot the chests without having to fight again. All that money without the hassle of actually defeating the mobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.