Overhead map travel slowdown ...why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NZguzzi, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You don't walk on paths when walking through a dense forest. And you can't tell me that you are as fast while somehow trying to get forward in the underbrush as you are when walking on concrete.

What about swamp? Or sand? Walking on sand us quite exhausting.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Totally right, lets mess up the interface even more so we have something to fight !!! :)

3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Oh, I see. We're going for REALISM. So let's not have spells, elves, dragons, enchantments, shardfalls, undead or anything else that doesn't reflect the way things are in RL. But let's walk slow through a forest for immersion's sake. Because that would be realistic and reflective of how things work on earth. o_O

4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Woah, next you are going to tell me that people can't tank half a dozen arrows to the face and walk away without a scratch after eating some delicious cook fish

docdoom77 and Budner like this.
  5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Why need metal for crafting a sword? Why do we need gold to buy things?
    Some "realism" is needed, specifically if it serves a purpose - overland slow travel has tactical reasons when the roving encounters are introduced.

6. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

I really wish there was a stickied thread by a Dev stating to what sort of player this game is being marketed towards and which part of the gaming culture divide should have the most input. If this game is supposed to resemble 'old skool' type game play and aesthetics, then so be it. I like it. This is my type of game.

I am not bothered at all by the duck waddling because I have nothing to achieve in the game world except to explore, do impromptu RP with friends and strangers, craft according to my RP, and have fun. Whatever time I spend either playing solo or with my friends is time well spent. Nobody told anyone to cart about 5000 ore in one go; that's entirely up to the player how much to carry from point A to B, how many trips to take, or which route to take.

I agree with what others are saying that when roving encounters come into play, there will be far-reaching consequences that will make what is seen as a nonsense inconvenience to something that will affect how players plan and play as well as how the market will be affected with such mechanics. People ask for regional economies, and I think this type of travel is one cog in the wheel supporting it.

I know folks think that the whole "game is not finished/released" is a tired excuse, but it's fact. Let the parts get placed in, see how they fit, allow them to get balanced, and then if you decide to complain, then do so.

I used to think the combat system with the decks and glyph things sucked when proposed and initially implemented. I'm fine with it now. It's clunky, sure, but I've grown to enjoy it.

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think people got used to how some things played and behaved for some time that they are now against changes that will make those features into what they are intended to be.
    But this is part of Early Access. The game changes - no matter if people like it or not.
    For me this is a positive change as it leads the game towards what was originally announced.

Elwyn likes this.
  8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Other than in every single forest zone in SotA...

Not sure why we are talking about realism in a navigation/selection mode where we are taller than buildings but can't cross streams.

9. Bamboozle

Bamboozle Avatar

Can we please get an official response from Port on this issue?

@DarkStarr @Berek

FrostII likes this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Or can forge a sword in a few minutes. Or when every enemy we defeat just reappears out of thin air every few minutes...

Budner likes this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

lol. Let's have this debate after the overland mobs are present. Can't even judge it without that.

Senash Kasigal and Kambrius like this.
  12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I agree this is the best time to debate it but, as with many things, why add 'part of it' now knowing its just going to frustrate people and it serves no real purpose other than making things more of a slog? Why not add it when it matters?

13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

True that! But it is also true they planned to add the overland mobs in R34 at the same time, but it got pulled because it was not quite there yet. So the intent was there.

14. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

This was in the game Way Back When-- and I'm not talk about the Ultimas, either. It was in SotA. It was taken out as there was no need for it. Now it is put back in, with roving overworld encounters due in the game Real Soon Now. My take is this is the first iteration, with the chance to refine areas of effect before the overland encounters are put in the game.

15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I cannot wait for the mobs on the map. I have been waiting for that ever since I first used the overland map. It is the one anticipation that kept me from criticizing the map and zoning in this game.

16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

In this early version of the game the map looked so much more alive and interesting with roving encounters:

Together with the different travel speed this will be great and add so much to overland travel, I am sure.

I hope that ambient animals like the bunnies, deer and birds will be part of the map, too.

majoria70, Atmosfear, Jens_T and 2 others like this.
  17. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

What are you talking about, all i was saying was that he was right.... *confused*

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Lol, gotta do something while watching the tedious refining bars for several hours
    Or while standing around waiting for focus to regen.

Budner likes this.
  19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I think this is right. We need to see the full vision of the Overland map come to life to judge. I really hope that gets some more love soon. That is feeling more urgent to me.

Tahru likes this.
  20. sake888

sake888 Avatar

LOL...you and your cute little "forest paths". Now that's funny. Try sprinting across a few acres of waist high quackgrass and see if your self proclaimed level of fitness helps much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.