Overhead map travel slowdown ...why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NZguzzi, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I forgot that early demos looked like you could zoom into any place. Really would love to have that option implemented with dynamic maps. Would allow for some many non-combat and combat encounters and Easter-eggs

2. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Staying on the road and using coconuts helps marginally. But if we are truly honest. It's a time sink. BORING.

Chairstacker, docdoom77 and Gamician like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

No surprise there........

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

LOL...you and your cute little "quackgrass" retort. (See how that feels?)

Anyway, take a look at the pic below and see if you can see any quacky grass or anything else that should slow me down...

[​IMG]

Vagabond_Sam, Tahru and Budner like this.
  5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I'm sorry, running from point A to point B is not exciting. As mentioned in several other posts, it is boring. Why? Because you're moving from some where to get to somewhere...most likely where there's something exciting, interesting or something to do. Moving from a forest (even encumbered) to get to your home where you store/process/sell you take at a slow crawl is not conducive to entertaining play...because you're being purposely slowed for absolutely no reason at all. You don't gain experience, you don't gain gold, you don't gain achievements, insights, etc. You're just being kept from the more interesting aspects of the game under the guise of some game mechanic to slow you down. And given that even the roads have slow spots, especially if you stray one extra pixel to the left or the right, it's simply frustrating.

6. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

I would have to disagree with the OP. Even though it's been a few days already. When I walk on the path at the park, it's all great and smooth. But if I try to walk threw the brush / tree's beside the path it becomes cumbersome and walking threw all those spider webs suck!

I can still see it even slowing down when we get mounts. Just stick to the path with your coconuts. o_O

Tahru and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I can't believe this thread is still going. Felt like I was beating my head against a wall with a common sense padded helmet and it didn't make a dent.

I really don't want to frolic in the flowers on the overland map playing tag with oversized roaming encounters. I would rather immerse myself in a scene with better graphics, sounds, game play, etc... Please, please, please... fix the speed and let this thread die.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

go play ultima 3 then you will come back with an appreciation.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

This was my feedback in the QA thread when it came live,

"It was in earlier builds, but they took it out, and now are just putting it back in.

My criticism of it was always that the areas where you slowed down or sped up always felt arbitrary, and that if they made it feel more naturally adjusted to the terrain, then it wouldn't be a problem.

For instance, we have a lot of cases *within* scenes where your avatar should naturally slow down. When you walk through bushes, or hedge, or heavy lake reeds... when you walk through swamp water, or low water in rivers or the ocean... when you walk up a really steep slope. Currently, there's no slowdown within scenes at all.

I would take the same logic that should apply to *within* scenes and then also apply them to the overland map. So, if you move through a tree or a bush overland, the game would slow you down. If you walk through bog water, the game would slow you down. If you move up a steep slope, the game would slow you down.

As it is, the speed changes feel like they kick in arbitrarily. So you walk into a forest area, but you're still on flat grasswithin the forest, and get a major slowdown. Why? The game shows you on grass; it should be considered grass. You walk into a swamp area, but are still on grass, and its the same thing. Yet if certain barriers on the map slowed you down, then you'd get the slow down through denser areas automatically. Because, if you were in a forest dense with trees, it would be easier to walk through the trees -- which would be a slowdown -- instead of navigating around them; or if you were in a swamp with a lot of bog areas, it would be easier to walk through the bog water -- which would be a slowdown -- instead of navigating around them.

So, to me, its just a matter of making the speed changes feel natural.
    "

Okay. Well, they announced what it was going to be at Kickstarter, which was a game in the Ultima tradition that would not be centered around repetitive grinding... they also talked about how there would be roving encounters on the map at Kickstarter... So basically, you're against the game the Kickstarter backers pledged for. Okay, fine. But maybe before you go into attacking and trolling people who are coming from a different point of view than you are, you should have some respect for that.

Lazlo, Tahru and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  10. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

No, none of those games ever gave me an appreciation for this type of travel. Great game then, but now I live in the present.

FrostII likes this.
  11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

the present is "spiritual successor to the ultima series" All of them were single player games and immersive except uo. You deal with it. This is in the kickstarter and planned as so. Do some research please.

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I am giving my point of view just as you are. You have something you want I have things I want. And I am sure if everyone keeps an open mind there could be some measure of usability for both. Those options that would be a compromise for all have been put out there by a lot of people. But at this point it is up to the Devs. As for Kickstarter promises, that's fine, there were a lot of those made during Kickstarter. but, there are still options for others that may not want this feature in there game flow, or others that may just want more speed while waiting for mounts.

FrostII likes this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

its not something i want or not want. Its not something you want or not want. Its fact. Its what we backed. If you backed it during the kickstarter then you agreed to the overland map and the random encounters. Its simple. We now have unfortunately been flooded with mmo players who want instant gratification/min max/socializing instead of immersive content. I backed the original concept. Its what I paid for.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea... when you're not implying people who disagree with you don't want a fun game, have no common sense, and express your disbelief that this thread won't die and the people who disagree won't go away.

Anyway, just saying respect what people pledged for; you don't have to agree with everyone.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I want bosses that don't sit in an instance waiting for people to come slaughter them. The map is the vehicle for this. Don't care if people hate it. This is a must do feature. How it's done might be debatable but it must be there. Might as well be asking for non consensual PvP it's just as much of a brick wall.

redfish and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Research done. From the Kickstarter

• Shroud of the Avatar is a Selective Multiplayer game, allowing players to choose how they want to play! Whether in Single-Player Offline mode or any of three online modes, the main quest line will provide greater than 40 hours of focused, story driven content.
    Hmm choose is the word I Highlight.

And I need to do some more digging because I can not see anywhere that says this game will have slow overland travel with roaming encounters.

Here it is at the bottom.

In a nod to Garriott's early RPG works, Shroud of the Avatar is split up into a high-level overland map and adventure scenes. Scenes are generally re-playable and can be experienced solo or with others.

Here is some more interesting info. I like the last bullet. Seems like a multiplayer game.

Shroud of the Avatar general features:

From Lord British's Treatise on "What is an Ultimate RPG?":

• Fully interactive virtual world - If it looks usable, it should do something
    • Deep original fiction - Ethical parables, cultural histories, fully developed alternate language text
    • Physical game components will be available: Cloth map, fictional manuals, trinkets
    • Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline

Chairstacker and docdoom77 like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Scene based encounters:

In a nod to Garriott's early RPG works, Shroud of the Avatar is split up into a high-level overland map and adventure scenes. Scenes are generally re-playable and can be experienced solo or with others.
    Although it does not state the slowdown on the maps, it does present the map. The map did have slowdowns on it in the Ultima Genre series. Thats why I said go play U3. Its immersive and meaningful, and there are parts that the devs have not introduced yet to make it more meaningful. The roving encounters play a big part in the slow downs. If you go on the overland map and try to escape the roving encounters then you will have slow downs doing so if you go off of the road.

18. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

No I am saying it is not fun for me. Giving options that could appease people that think that is fun and beating my head against a wall because people have dug there heals in thinking portalarium is now there own personal development team because they gave money during a Kickstarter. Sorry if you feel that's not right but there are a lot of people that pledged that may not have the same viewpoint on what a spiritual successor is to a game.

FrostII likes this.
  19. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Funniest part of all this, is most of my post are typed while Auto-Running on the world map to get where I want to go. Almost died that last time when a random encounter with Wolves dragged me in, kicking in screaming. After finishing my post with 5 of them hitting me, I turned around walked out of the scene and continued back on my auto-run.

FrostII likes this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Ok, I must admit that I did not experience the fun (and I have no doubt that, back then, it was) of the following:

[​IMG]

I have no idea how it equates to a conversation about slower speeds on the SotA overworld....

Thank you, @Toadster for doing that research.

That last quote from the Kickstarter should put to rest the attitude of "some" who somehow feel that this was meant to be a "Single Player Game with MMORPG thrown in" ! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.