Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

How do we get potions to matter?

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Mitara, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

I think I will be safe if I claim that potions really does not matter at the moment.

Health potions, are more or less not powerful enough to matter compared to Healing spells. Question is, how do we make them matter more? Would it be an idea if they had an over time effect as well as an initial healing effect. Something like +2 healing every tick? What do you think?

Same with Focus potions. Should they also have an over time effect to help a little during battle?

Any ideas?

Net, Jivalax Azon, Snikorts and 7 others like this.
  2. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

Take them out of the deck, make them consumable straight from your inventory even while in combat. I think as long as they take up a slot in the deck, no one will use them.

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I think all consumables can now be used from inventory. Also potions are just placeholders, later there will be different tier potions and they will also be alcoholic and get you drunk.

4. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I posted a bug report about not being able to drink them from the inventory while in combat, but I got this reply:
    So you can't while in combat, which I think we should be able to. If they later even make us drunk, then all the more reason to not restrict it this way.

5. Tracker

Tracker Avatar

I know this has been suggested before, but a separate small bar just for potions or food would make life a bit easier. Something non-obtrusive that could be toggled on and off and movable.

I'm not sure why this hasn't been added, unless adding a bar solely for potions and food while in combat, creates a balancing issue. Potions do have a cooldown, so I doubt having them available beyond the 10 combat slots we now have would see them abused.

Tracker

6. Aord

Aord Avatar

I used to have 9-10 hotbars simultaneously in other games... in SOTA I feel crippled... :)

7. Gix

Gix Avatar

Just increase the potency of the effects to match the cost vs a freebie healing spell. The skill even takes time to activate and can be interrupted for crying out loud.

If I have to sacrifice a slot on my bar for something that is consumed, it better be worth it.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  8. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Make the potions heal based on a percentage of your health rather than a locked 30-50 health. In the time it takes to drink that 30-50 health potion, I've already taken over that amount of healing in damage against the level of enemies I'm fighting. I mean, single archer shots hit for 50+ damage. So really, that small heal is a waste of time. But if that potion instead healed 20% of your health, then I would be getting about 100 health back from that potion. That's significant enough to actually carry and use them. Higher tier potions could be added that heal for greater percentages of your health. This is really the only way I could see them ever becoming useful and remaining useful once players are running around with 1k health or even more. The percentage could even scale slightly with one's alchemy skill.

I think this would be a great addition. It could even be a really simplistic 3 slot bar just for consumables. That way you'd have space for a healing potion, a focus potion, and a third slot for your favorite food buff.

9. Aord

Aord Avatar

Inventory interface is the latest thing I want to see mid-fight. Make the option to open an "inventory hotbar" that can be used for inventory consumables only. Wait, it already exists! But... you guessed it, you cannot see it during the fights... Gah!!!

Birne Gilmore and Mitara like this.
  10. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

This would actually be a bad idea, in my opinion. It would vastly outscale healing spells in the Life Tree and also horribly tilt the balance in power between higher and lower level players.

The best solution is to have either levels of Potion (Minor, Lesser, Greater, Major) with different costs to create or to have potion healing be a factor of skill level of the alchemist that created it, such that high level alchemy potions are worth pursuing.

I'd even suggest a Potion Masterworking\Enchanting process. Base Healing Potion = 40 HP. Masterwork: Healing Potion and a Gold Ingot (or intro a new rare mat) = Healing Potion +1 @60 HP.

Add +20 HP per additional +1 of the potion with the same increasing chance to ruin the item as other Masterworks. A Healing Potion +3 @100HP would be well sought after. 200 skill level alchemists might be turning out +6s. Expensive potions that grant 160 HP or Focus.

Haste can add duration, Poison can add efficacy, etc...

Matt Harris and Mitara like this.
  11. Curt

Curt Avatar

Have them have a bit diminishing return depending on how many potions you used recently.

so if a healing potion heals 100
    a second potion could heal 80
    and a third 64 (multiplicity with 0.8 for each potion used recently)

Kambrius likes this.
  12. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Please... PLEASE dont favour those damn people that go mine for gold all the time... enough of that!

13. uhop

uhop Avatar

FWIW, I tried to put health potions in a combat deck. Unfortunately it didn't work for me: every single time I tried to use it, I got interrupted, so no healing effect, just wasted time, and my health went actually down because my opponents didn't stop waiting for me finish drinking. So simply putting potions in a deck, even a separate sub-deck, is a no go as it stands now.

14. uhop

uhop Avatar

Health, haste, focus, food? Four already. Caltrops? Anything else non-magical, and non-technical?

15. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Hence why I suggested some new rare in parens. I just tossed out gold because it seems Underutilized and because we have way too much stuff already using silver in masterworking.

Mitara likes this.
  16. Joeble

Joeble Avatar

Really healing potion is only useful for those @#@#$#@ moments where you pop one to give enough health to run away. Otherwise I don't use them.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I really feel that consumables should work from your inventory even in combat mode. They all have long "cast" times (where you can be interrupted) and long cooldown times.

18. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Why not just use healing spell for those moments?

19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Even in the above example with the 'really expensive potions'
    Due to the consume time and the fact that I'd have to sacrifice precious combat bar slots, as well as have even more costs added to adventuring, even at 160 hp I probably wouldn't use it. Thats like being crit once maybe twice by an archer mob.
    160 focus, just about maybe would be enough to make a difference in a fight.
    Being able to use from inventory is nice, even though its not in combat, but its a lot of rummaging around to find stuff.
    A dedicated potion/food bar would be great.
    HEY, this would be a really cool use for the 'belt' slot that doesn't have any other use.
    Craftable belts with so many slots that you could put a consumable in for use in combat....

Jivalax Azon and Mitara like this.
  20. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Maybe it's that I haven't gone heavy in the life tree, but does ANY skill reach the point where it would be healing 160 HP? Consume Time + Item Loss on consume lends me to believe a really good one should be 2-3 times a high level heal. It has no focus cost, so that is an advantage over spamming a couple insta-heals in that time frame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.