Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feeling less and less like multiplayer.

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Ultimately it comes down to the "Race to the Top". With all of the griping and complaints to come about from ANY kind of nerf or slow-down of progression in this game, would you expect the audience to be doing anything less than the most efficient route? When solo, not competing for mobs or resource nodes is a huge speed boost. When grouped, it is still best to form your party and run in with Friends Only mode.

It is upon we the players to build the in-game environment we desire. I've been quite guilty of running around in Friends Only mode myself. Perhaps it is time I commit to being more social, myself.

Bom likes this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't think the fact so many play outside MPO will change. We just need a way to know that there are people even though you can't see them.

I just proposed a chat indicator since chat works across modes.

It might be cool if there were shadow people or something like that to show where other people are playing, still hiding who they are. Most people don't want to interact with everyone and just knowing they are there is enough.

Womby and Lord Ravnos like this.
  3. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

It is the one of core problem of a game.
    Many adepts of solo RPG here dont understand one thing: Sota can be very competitive as MMO in medival setting, but has a zero chance on a big success as solo RPG. Really SOTA could not be as cinematic as Witcher 3, nor as hardcore as modern planscape torment, in future we will have even more extremely good solo RPG like ME Andromeda, and Cyberpunk 2077, both with huge budgets and etc. SOTA will never beat them.
    On the market of west MMORPG there is a crysis(small amount of good exact games, most perspective MMOs which are in development even in more earlier stages then SOTA(most of them from noname developers)) so SOTA can win big part of MMO market. Which will give developers even more money for content creation.

IMHO I`m pretty sure that most of SOTA players (as active players and all bakers too) want play MMO not soloRPG, also I`m pretty sure that biggest land lords(biggest bakers by the way) need MMO, to make their money work, not soloRPG, again most of the guilds to involve players into SOTA need MMO not soloRPG.

P.S. Really there is no ideal solution, but by the way on of the best is: make penalties for SPO and friends only gaming(resourses gathering rate, EXP ammount and etc), adepts of solo gaming - will still playing their solo game(if you play solo it is no difference will you make armor for 1 day or 2 or 3), but others would play MMO to be competitive.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

People don't simply want another single player RPG. As you said there are enough SP RPGs available and being released in the next years.
    People want to have a new single player Ultima as those games have always been something special and unique. This is why many pledged during the Kickstarter. And Richard Garriott knew this. This is why SotA was also marketed as a single player game back in 2013 - this and because single player RPGs were much more successful on Kickstarter than MMORPGs.

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

There is definitely a lack of adventure scene etiquette in-game.

It is sort of depressing really. :(

Svahn, Sir Cabirus, amarious and 3 others like this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

If I'm going to go adventuring, my main objective is usually harvestables, and I will kill things only if I need to rescue a poor innocent cottonbush from the clutches of the evil bear patriarchs.
    For me, the 'everyone can harvest the resource node' functionality would be just fine, since that's my main objective, and I'd spend a lot more time on multi.
    That being said, if I do rarely want to go "grind xp" I certainly don't want to be running for 5 mins looking for something to fight, while food buffs tick away...:p
    The fact of the matter is that adventure zones are too small to support a whole lot of people out there fighting' stuff.

The login/logout process is also clunky and requires a lot of waiting on load screens and usually a potential crash (100% of my crashes since persistence have been while entering/exiting scenes).

Potential remedies:
    1) Add a faster method to swap modes (friends/multi).
    Specifically, I'd like to be able to right-click on a scene before I press the button to enter, letting me choose which mode I want to enter that scene as.
    This would save the login/logout hassle.
    IE, if I'm in friends mode and I want to enter a town, I could choose to swap to multi at the same time as I'm zoning so I've only got 1 load screen to wait through.
    2) Allow individual resource harvesting - this exists on several items you can pick up like props etc. so just apply to nodes? I can understand not making it on something like skinnable mobs put ore and bushes and trees surely yes? This would also help people who want to go mining together to help survive, as currently doing this ends up with two people sat round with nothing to mine.
    3) Add more mob density to a lot of zones, encouraging people to group up to tackle harder encounters instead of roving around looking for a single bear to stab.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Acred, Sixclicks, Svahn and 6 others like this.
  7. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

1. This is not a game made for a ZX Spectrum/cheap laptop to play on. You need a modern computer and then you will have no problems.
    2. You wont have that problem if you go multiplayer

Bom likes this.
  8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I'm sure his machine meets the minimum requirement to play. It's the optimization issue that's cause the performance drop. Otherwise, he wouldn't be able to play at all.

The 2nd point is that the friend only mode already allow him to group with people whom he know will give him positive game play experience when playing with them.

GTA online allow people to selectively play the game mode however they like, I don't see anyone conplain about selectively online mode ruin the game. If anything, it's the jerks and hackers in multiplayer mode that ruin everyone else fun.

Acred, Gaelis, Womby and 1 other person like this.
  9. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

1. I have a gen 6 i5, 32Gb ram and a GTX 1060. Big towns lag. I can run from the entrance of Brittany Alleys to the bank and have to wait to access it because the scene still hasn't finished loading when I get there. Crafting in a large town in multiplayer is a very frustrating experience. All of this is better in friends because there's less data to load.
    2. I will, because all the people I want to play with are in friends mode.

Acred and Gaelis like this.
  10. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

Jerks, i guess there are jerks, I havent met anyone yet though, most people I meet ingame are friendly or simply ignore me.
    Hackers... why wouldnt there be people (like the ones with 700+ hp) that are hackers. All other MMORPGs have hackers. Luckily we are free for the goldsellers though.

11. Mitara

Mitara Avatar

In that case it sounds more like you have a connection problem, which cant really be helped since we only have 1 server in Austin or whereever it is located. My computer is a much less one and I dont have those kinds of problems.

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

They should spend some time on the game modes. Friends only should be named party only or fixed to actually load you into a scene with friends.

Lord Baldrith and Fister Magee like this.
  13. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Off topic but I am sorry this bothers me.

From the Kickstarter:

Our primary objectives are to tell a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII, create a virtual world more interactive than Ultima VII, develop deep rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online, and offer a bold new approach to integrate them with “Selective Multi-Player”

• Shroud of the Avatar is a Selective Multiplayer game, allowing players to choose how they want to play! Whether in Single-Player Offline mode or any of three online modes, the main quest line will provide greater than 40 hours of focused, story driven content.

Shroud of the Avatar general features:

From Lord British's Treatise on "What is an Ultimate RPG?":

• Fully interactive virtual world - If it looks usable, it should do something
    • Deep original fiction - Ethical parables, cultural histories, fully developed alternate language text
    • Physical game components will be available: Cloth map, fictional manuals, trinkets
    • Multiplayer Online Game - which can also be played solo player / offline

From Me:
    everything I read about this game says it is going to be a new, integrated approach with story driven content in a way that has never been done.

Please stop spreading false information about this being a Single player game with online options to play with friends. This inovative idea really is a great concept, and if they can bring it all together it will be amazing. You plastering over the forum this is a single player game is just driving more division within the forum. Let's focus on building the best game with the best features from all these games and putting them together in a new and inovative way. Let this game pave the road for everything else that tries to come next. Let's take away the label and build a game we love, that can last for years.

Gaelis, MrBlight, Lord Ravnos and 5 others like this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I don't spread false information, Garriott said this in two videos that were released during the Kickstarter campaign!

Video 1 (go to minute 3:00)

Video 2 (go to 0:45)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Elwyn, gtesser, Sir Cabirus and 4 others like this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Its not false information. It is in fact true information that is not being addressed currently. We have every right to keep saying what we say. You can get off you podium and just address how you feel and say what you feel about the game without telling others how or what to do.

Dantuin, uhop, Sir Cabirus and 3 others like this.
  16. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I am a big drive by /wave'er . I play in multiplayer mode 100% of the time (when I remember...) when I am crafting or traveling far or for any reason not going to be exp/farming. When I am fighting, or gathering, I am in friends only mode.

I would rather be in multiplayer mode most of the time, but I do love friends only mode so much, its such a great feature. It solves so many bigger problems. However I do agree, it gets lonely, so thats why I either surf the forum or discord chat or spam /nobles while soloing.

I think it will balance out more in the future. There are a few things to consider, mostly relating to it being early access. For one, the zones are all clones, and most of them are very small. Theyre hiring world builders to address this as we speak. When there is more uncloning, and more optimal placement of nodes, and essentially more space for scene for people to be, you will see more people in multiplayer. Right now, you cant really expect to mine anything effectively in that first room of the mine scene that all mines share in multiplayer mode. Its so easy to clear that room yourself in minutes, assuming youre in a mine appropriate for your adventuring level. Once there are new scenes designed for each mine, I am sure you will find more people in multiplayer mode in one of the newer scenes where it may be more appropriate for 10-12 people in the starter area who all have similar intentions.

I think, in general, making most of the scenes many times larger would really help this game. A sense of expansiveness, and that you couldnt discover everything unless you were dedicated to it and nothing else. I got an email from Mythic this morning about a free trial to reopen my DAoC accounts (not that Id consider playing something besides SotA! :p), and it made me recall all of the zones from that game, and it was indeed huge. It could take a considerable amount of time running from one side of the zone to the other - enough time to run the circumference of a SoTA zone 10 times I am sure. While that was the boxed in, theme park style MMO, its "scenes" were still about 10x bigger than the average scene we're playing in. I am fine with the scenes as they are now, theyre beautiful and fun to be in, but I expect that by the time the uncloning is complete, that the world will give me this same feeling as a whole. With scenes being adequately large, you will see more people in multiplayer online mode.

I mostly play solo-centric builds in online games anyway, so this current style of "each scene essentially being solo-able by the current skull-level adventurer" works for me. I do see how it doesnt encourage multiplayer mode though. So yeah heres to hoping future unclones feel large enough that we can solo if we want to or hang around others if we want to, all within multiplayer mode :).

*None of that is criticism, just observation, and it makes sense that this small teamed early access game has less content than a title with a 4+ year heyday and huge financial backing.

Fister Magee, majoria70 and 4EverLost like this.
  17. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Ok he does say solo playing in both videos and then in the next breath talks about MMO or even UO. And you hopefully read the excerpts from the Kickstarter page. So again I think we need to get off the labels and just really focus on a good game for all, and stop trying to put it in a box of this game or that. New integrated concept.

Might even be better than what your expectations are....

And On a side note about KickStarters:

"Confusion about the site's mission, it seems, is fairly widespread. In September 2012, the New York City-based company's co-founders addressed this issue head-on in a blog post titled "Kickstarter is Not a Store."

"It's hard to know how many people feel like they're shopping at a store when they're backing projects on Kickstarter, but we want to make sure that it's no one," the founders wrote. "Today we're introducing a number of changes to reinforce that Kickstarter isn't a store--it's a new way for creators and audiences to work together to make things."

Gaelis and Lord Ravnos like this.
  18. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

How about just a misleading information that leads to a very limited view of what this game is? Sound better?

Gaelis and FrostII like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

How about you stick to talking about the game and stop badgering.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  20. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Claiming to be the majority is as old as the world :p I wonder why this thread actually exists, if most people want to play a MMO ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.