Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Stop force loading combat deck

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by ChairStacker, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChairStacker

ChairStacker Avatar

Following this logic, then the game should force the non-combat deck to load when combat ends. Definetly not fine as is.

2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

+1 from me

Chairstacker and Sir Leonard like this.
  3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

It will, sheathe your weapon. If you didn't pull it out, or if you don't use any offensive skills, then it will also revert back to the noncombat again.

4. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

This really seems like a Quality of Life improvement.

+1

Chairstacker likes this.
  5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Well, there must be a reason for this... as it took programming to make it this way. It is not a bug. :) I bet Lord British knows why.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  6. ChairStacker

ChairStacker Avatar

You aren't limited to 10 skills on a deck, unless you are using a static deck. The point is that I didn't activate the combat deck - the game did that automatically without my input.

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Should be easy to fix that without actually changing mode. The game already knows when a mob is agroed on us.

8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I'm not disagreeing, but it's probably not nearly as simple to do as it might seem. If you could stay in non combat mode while being attacked, regen rates would have to be unlinked from combat modes.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The devs have specifically made it so that when you're attacked, you're automatically put into combat mode so that you're health regeneration is very slow.

Fister Magee likes this.
  10. Gix

Gix Avatar

Every skill in the "Adventuring" tab are combat oriented; including movement buffs. That's what I'm trying to tell you. What's next? You're going to tell me that healing spells are just a "health buffs" and not combat? C'mon man.
    • The "Light" spell, for example, is there specifically so that you can fight stuff in the darkness while holding 2-handed weapons, a sword-n-board or dual-wield weapons.
    • Movement spells are there to gain a tactical advantage over your enemy either by rushing them or increasing the distance from them.
    I know you're not trying to get into combat. You're using movement buffs to run PAST the enemy and the game is explicitly telling you that you can't do that unless you specifically set your COMBAT bar that way. You got into combat by approaching the enemy... OTHERWISE, YOU WOULDN'T BE IN COMBAT.

That's what Stealth is for...

Let me change the word "non-combat" for "resting" to more easily communicate what's going on:
    When you're resting, you regenerate health and all is great in the world. When someone attacks you, you're no longer resting whenever you like it or not.

You're limited to 10 slots, though. How you swap decks and use a shuffling deck is part of the system.

Except they more or less want you to stay in combat mode during the entirety of a non-town scene because that's you being "prepared" and non-combat (with the regen) is a "rested" state... meaning you have to tell the game when you're resting.

Don't you get it? The focus cost is there because you shouldn't be swapping your skills willy nilly... which is what you're trying to do with your non-combat and combat bars.

If you didn't try to game the system, you wouldn't have that problem.

That's the whole point, though. You're caught unprepared and you want to immediately retaliate?

Yeah, that limitation surprises me.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  11. Borg

Borg Avatar

Yes so we are forced to run all time in combat mode, that way at lest you can use your spells right after attacked, otherwise you have to suffer all spells cool-downs when entering combat mode.
    There is a problem here, low regeneration mode is tied to Deck system in such a way that it forces you into combat mode, but what if I don't want to retaliate?
    I understand that when attacked I enter low regeneration mode and that is OK , but the system should understand I don't want to enter combat mode if I don't draw my weapon.
    If I don't draw my weapon I cant retaliate it is just that easy.

So in my opinion this would be way better:

I enter low regeneration mode while someone is attacking me and it has a time cool-down to get again into normal regeneration mode or rest mode, or whatever you call it.

then I have 2 choices:

I enter Combat mode if I draw my weapon (not automatically when attacked) and then I have to wait all the cool-downs until I can retaliate.

I decide not to enter combat mode and run away.....

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    Chairstacker likes this.
  12. Gix

Gix Avatar

If you didn't want retaliate, you wouldn't have mentioned that the one attacking gains more advantages by "being prepared" to fight and that you had to suffer cooldowns. Granted, some skills shouldn't trigger cooldowns just because we switched modes but that's not the issue in this thread, isn't it?

But lets say you don't want to retaliate... so what's the problem, then? You wouldn't be using skills in any case... Oh that's right! You DO want to use skills otherwise you wouldn't be complaining about the combat bar switching on you!

You're using the non-combat bar to circumvent the limitations imposed by the combat system and you're annoyed because the game is fighting back. And all I got to say is "Duh!"

Gaelis and Fister Magee like this.
  13. Browncoat Jayson

You are being obtuse. Skills are skills, and some can be used outside of combat. Tying regen, the hotbar, agro, etc, all to that state is a poor mechanic. Ad many are saying, tying the regen and usability of glyphs to agro is fine, but the hotbar NEEDS to be tied to whether your weapon is sheathed. Currently, it makes the entire hotbar unusable, which is a broken mechanic. Sorry you feel otherwise, but your wrong.

If stealth worked, I'd use that. I've got it trained. Unfortunately, its useless for sneaking through control points. Its barely useful against low level creatures.

Chairstacker and Lord Baldrith like this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

*quietly speaks up* I like it how it is please don't change it *sneaks out*

15. Browncoat Jayson

While I don't know how anyone can "like" this behavior, at least its understandable. I've got a workaround, however crappy it is. Hopefully we get better control over handling multiple decks at some point, and maybe a passive skill that increases how many decks we can save. It just seems like there are a lot of other ways to handle this than what we have, just no one wants to put in the effort to do it. Fine, there are bigger things that need fixed.

Chairstacker and Lord Baldrith like this.
  16. Gix

Gix Avatar

Hey Moderator! If my post was a personal attack, why don't you moderate the other party, then?

Of course, you won't.

17. ChairStacker

ChairStacker Avatar

Excellent idea Borg. This is indeed the way the situation should be handled. Thanks for your input!

18. Borg

Borg Avatar

No I just didnt xplain correctly, let me xplain a bit better.

I just don't want my combat bar to automatically pop up, I understand I enter in low regeneration mode, I understand I get a confusion time if I'm out of combat mode when attacked, but I cant understand why I automatically enter combat mode, I want to decide when I enter combat mode. So I already have my nice out of combat bar there so why changing it? Ok lets go into low regeneration mode, lets even have a confusion time so out of combat bar gets a small cool-down and there you have it.

Chairstacker likes this.
  19. Borg

Borg Avatar

That would be great if we had the choice to have a "default skill bar when attaked" option, and then we can decide if we want to swap to combat bars or not.

20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Like quickswapping? (not trying to be a smartass i just dont know what you mean)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.