Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Stop force loading combat deck

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by ChairStacker, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

+1 for "Just allow for more decks"

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The limit to deck number is the only thing stopping power levelers from killing you all... you crazy people >.<

3. Borg

Borg Avatar

I noticed....its quite obvious that you like it the way it works now.

4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

yes i stated that, but do you understand why i like it? with even one more combat bar, people that have maxed out all trees can respond to any situation with the maxed skillset perfect for that situation. That would put us at a huge advantage over people that play "normally".

majoria70 and Black Tortoise like this.
  5. Borg

Borg Avatar

I just was being sarcastic, I don't want more combat bars I just want we could stay in normal bar if we decide to do so, as I explained in the posts above.

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

All good, i just didn't want you to think i was being a jerk

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Personally I think its working as expected. Its part of the challenge. Its hard to wrap your head around at first, but if you keep an open mind, youll likely see that the deck system is a beautifully dynamic, engaging, and clever game mechanic.

What the OP is asking for is essentially some free cards/glyphs. The reason the combat deck flips open is because thats when the challenge begins. You must choose to balance your deck with buffs and attacks, or mostly buffs, or mostly attacks, or mostly defenses, etc, the choice is up to you to tailor to your stylistic preference. You dont get to quick draw a bunch of free glyphs and only then begin drawing from your deck.

Unfortunately, fighting doesnt work that way. A beginners self defense lesson should begin with standing hip to hip, nose to nose, chest to chest, butt to butt, etc, with a random stranger youve never met before (or at least, havent done this lesson with before). Why? because the first thing an untrained defender does in a situation is usually fret about their comfort zone in some way. Thinking, I need this, or I need that, or this isnt supposed to happen, etc. Touching a total stranger is really uncomfortable, and if youre that uncomfortable in a safe setting, imagine how uncomfortable touching someone trying to harm you will feel. Being engaged with someone physically requires you to respond with intention. It often takes a beginner a little bit to realize that they dont really have a choice whether or not it happens, once physical engagement occurs. They only have a choice over how they respond (though, I would also rattle on some more here about preventing it from starting to begin with...).

When a fight happens, you have only the choice to be prepared already, or be unprepared. You dont get to pause the fight and ask to stretch, do a little self confidence routine, maybe a few pushups or burpees, meditate for a minute, get a glass of water, tighten your belt a bit, conceal the location of your wallet better, etc. You fight back or you tactically withdraw, thats it.

So when the wolf bites you while youre harvesting, that is just it - the fight has begun, you are not allowed to choose when you are ready. I would argue that you chose to not be ready, but thats just me. You can choose to add these buffs to your combat deck, and use mind wipe or some other trick to force it to be available when the fight starts. You can choose to learn to fight without them. You can choose to just spam them all the time when not in combat (like me ;) ). Or you can choose to be unready when you get attacked.

Please dont nerf the deck system, instead, I think the community should band together and create even more resources to helping people understand it. I dont think its hard, I think game culture has been beaten down by very simple game mechanics for the last decade, and people have a difficult time with a new style. Combat mode should be forced on when you get attacked, or else it kind of undermines the challenge of balancing the glyphs in one's deck.

drawing a weapon is an artform. Ive mentioned this in my many rants about combat, and I agree that the dev team should strive more towards realistically simulating combat vs video-gamey things that defy the art of engagement altogether. drawing a weapon and readying one's self for combat is the sort of thing that has had 6,000+ years of refinement in human martial arts culture. There is an entire Japanese martial art form dedicated to killing an enemy through unsheathing a blade. when performing martial arts weapons forms for judges, competitors are deeply and heavily scrutinized and judged on how they draw their weapon, whatever the weapon may be, and thats just like 0.3 seconds of the whole process. it is not exactly trivial to be engaged in combat and draw your weapon, it requires experience, arduous practice, and most of all, intent.

combat turning on and your character's deck swapping to combat mode is not the UI violating your intent. you must intend to draw your weapon and fight back. you dont, once more, get to choose when combat happens, unless you strike first.

be ready. be first.

heres how I handle the same situation: when I harvest, I right click my mouse button and pan once over my right shoulder, and once over my left. Truthfully I like cheesing out on video game 3d world graphics, but Im ostensibly seeing if any annoying wolves or bears or gangs of bandit bros are wandering nearby. If I see them, I "esc" out of gathering, hit my strength buff from my non combat deck, flip to combat, use mind wipe to force my damage add, pbaoe buffs, and dodge buff. Then I charge at them and hit them fully buffed. Then I loot them and go back to gathering. If they interrupt my gathering, that was my fault for not peeking around me while doing so and failing to be prepared for their attack.

I agree with this for non combat decks. We should just have pages of non combat glyph bars, scrolled through with key combo of choice (e.g., ctrl+shif+[1-9] loads a "page" of non combat glyphs).

being able to have more combat decks avail at once would severely imbalance the minigame of predicting availability of various glyphs in various phases of combat.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    majoria70 and Fister Magee like this.
  8. Gix

Gix Avatar

THIS particular sentence of yours is exactly what I've been telling you about from the very beginning: about the WHY IT HAS TO CHANGE. Please re-read what I've been writing with that sentence in mind.

9. Borg

Borg Avatar

And I has been telling you from the very beginning why it should not change if I don't want.
    You already pointed that out of combat bar is potentially another combat bar so why not? where is the difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.