Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feeling less and less like multiplayer.

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

1) Ok, but many could be changed since 2013.
    2) Have you got any other reasons why soloRPG will be good for all (devs, com. success, comunity, history:D) exept that Devs want to make it in 2013 ?

Just becouse playing SPO and friends only gives advantages in comparison with MPO. If about me I have 1200 hours in SOTA MPO and zero login in any other mode.

FrostII and Toadster like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

1. Changing a game after getting the money for a different design generally is bad. I and many others paid for the game that was announced.
    2. Single player games right now are more successful than MMORPGs. More than 65 million copies sold of GTA V, more than 20 million copies sold of Skyrim, 20 million copies sold of The Witcher 3, 12 million of Fallout 4...
    I can't name one MMO with such sales numbers. All I hear and read about MMOs is how they struggle to keep their players and try to survive or that they have to change the business model...

3. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Confusion about the site's mission, it seems, is fairly widespread. In September 2012, the New York City-based company's co-founders addressed this issue head-on in a blog post titled "Kickstarter is Not a Store."

"It's hard to know how many people feel like they're shopping at a store when they're backing projects on Kickstarter, but we want to make sure that it's no one," the founders wrote. "Today we're introducing a number of changes to reinforce that Kickstarter isn't a store--it's a new way for creators and audiences to work together to make things.

You never bought a game. You supported an idea and paid for early access the game has not been released.

2. 65 million copies of a game people play for a few months if it can compete with GTA V (which it will not), or 15-20 years of add-on sales if they do it right. Hmm.... Be interesting to see which would be more lucrative.

Alley Oop and Spinok like this.
  4. bloodluv

bloodluv Avatar

They didn't invent it.
    This has been around in many games over the years.

BUT they sure did improve upon it! One of the best online RPG's experiences i've had in 20+ years of gaming!

Lord Ravnos and Tahru like this.
  5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

No, they arent :) If you want to compare with GTA5, I can compare with WoW(1 bil. $), GTA5 - 65 mil is over all platforms, is not very clever game, so i think more than half is PS and XBOX, also console price is higher than PC, so on PC market GTA5 lose to WoW.
    Really SOTA in future with it location mechanics could be EVE(4-5 position in MMO rank) in medival settings(EVE in the begining didnt have 9k star systems, SOTA in episode 5 will have comparable number I hope). But really in any case SOTA could not be like games you noticed becouse of budget (100+ mil$ for GTA5) for example, in the time when Unity graphics will be on the level of GTA5/witcher/F4, we will get GTA6,Cyberpunk/F5. And the main thing: market of west MMORPG in medival settings now is not very hard to conquer, (Elder scroll really bad, LoF havent got magic; Crawfall, Albion are very cartoon, Сamelot is in a very early stage.

I`m more worried about end product quality than about fulfillment of promises made on kickstarter, vision should have evolution to have a success.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Then tell me, why is no major game studio working on a big new MMORPG?
    For the last years no AAA MMORPG has been announced. All of the upcoming MMOs are from small developers and are more and less niche games.

Elwyn, Dantuin and Sir Cabirus like this.
  7. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Risk, unable to make mmorpg which will be good for all platforms, long time of invested money back, make mmorpg for both West and East market is extremely difficult.

8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

It is cheaper for them to make single player accross multiple platforms and then start their next 40 hours of content, package. MMORG takes a bigger commitment but can have a major reward.

There were some big players in MMORG that have cornered the player base and have players with 10-15 + years invested in a game. That is difficult to contend with but now is a great time, people are not happy with a different spin on the same content and grinding, grinding, grinding. If they even pulled half the players turning off UO and half of the disgruntled WOW this game would be rolling in add-on sales for 15-20 years.

9. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I played WoW from beta for 6 years straight, paying monthly all along the way. Then I realized the game model and features were not fun for me any more, it was too much of a hassle with very little innovation. 90% of the content was spoon fed, and required very little skill or creativity to accomplish any more...

SotA is the first mmo that's really caught and held my interest since then. There's probably others that feel that way too.

MrBlight and 4EverLost like this.
  10. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

New WoW expansion launched to good success.
    New SWTOR expansion launched to pretty good success.
    New Guild Wars 2 expansion launched to pretty good success.

Why aren't they doing new ones? MMOs by nature are designed to consume more time. Producing new MMOs would cannibalize off of current audiences. Hence when a company has one with success, the focus on holding it and growing it.

For a new studio to try to pop into the AAA MMO scene is prohibitively expensive. You need to reach a level of polish equal to the best ones out there or you will fail to retain your users. SWTOR almost failed because it lacked end game content but it was otherwise a pretty solid experience (even if it felt like a single player game foisted into an multiplayer setting). GW2 retained interest through being Buy to Play with a cash shop while using Living World content to keep players involved. WoW is just a juggernaut benefitting from being a solid experience on release and having the veteran status to have a lot of content put out while keeping new content coming at a decent clip. People go back to wow because everyone they know is there. Having the highest population adds a level of retention. Yes, they almost crashed it recently and are finally declining, but they are still bigger than anyone else and their new Expansion brings back a lot of the cyclical folks who play for a new expac and then cancel and wait for the next.

The budget needed for polished experience worth contending, paired with the risk of failure, has any intelligent company veering away from the space until they see weakness in the veterans. Anyone with the budget to push one out and give it time to succeed has already done so.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

WoW lost many players. From more than 10 million, only 3.5 bought the new addon.
    The latest report from NC Soft showed the revenues of Guild Wars 2 dropping significantly.
    SWTOR does very well although it has about "only" a million players according to the last numbers EA was willing to give out.
    The Elder Scrolls Online does well. Zenimax told that 7 million bought the game but no one knows how many of those are really playing.
    SWTOR plays surprising like a single player RPG. ESO plays surprisingly like a single player RPG.

I agree fancy graphics are something that many players like - it might not be important for some but let's face it, those are few.

SotA becoming a classic MMORPG in a market that is losing players fast without offering fancy graphics, a slick UI and gameplay that also caters to casual palyers for me somehow doesn't make that much sense.
    If they want to target a smal niche, then ok. But how will this niche be able to make SotA a stable, long living game?

12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Wow did this ever get off topic.
    1 - Darkmoon, pretty much every single one of your posts is in one way or another complaining about the game not being purely single player, or something along those lines. Couple days ago you were trying to compare it to No Mans Sky . lol.
    2 - What they are aiming to do with SoTa i think is a great idea, and other then the fact they need more content, most of it is on the right path. If this wasnt focused more in a MMORPG type game, then a huge amount of players wouldnt be here.
    The MMO market is pretty open, not a lot of companies want to tackle it, nor have really come out with anything to hold peoples interest. I would think youd be surprised at how many more hours get clocked into a MMO compared to most single player games. ( Skyrim sold a ton of copies yup, but after that first 1-2 weeks, does anyone here go drop 4-5 hours a day in it? ) And your comparing WoWs lack of sucess with their new release, without really considering the sheer amount of players STILL PLAYING what.. 10 years later? More?

They are heading in the right direction, if not a lil slow IMO, with a lot of kinks to work out.
    Its clear alot of people dont play the open online due to lag issues, or as the other guy put it, the sheer competitive / racing side of 1 way being faster then the other. Im guilty of playing mostly in Friends mode, while fully supporting the open multiplayer, and usually its just because the simplicity of controlling the harvesting nodes.
    I think that opening an option to change modes going into a zone would be nice, or with global chat being introduced this would pull a lot of people into online. I think as the performances gets better, itll add more as well.
    Honestly i wish theyd just scrap the whole single player goal and head closer and closer to a UO remake, but w.e

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Maybe you misunderstood me. I backed SotA because of the game that was announced during the Kickstarter campaign. This concept seemed new and unique. A basically single player RPG with the focus on a great story with choices and consequences in a highly interactive world BUT with the option to play together with friends or go into an open online mode to take part at events, feasts etc. In my opinion this is a fantastic concept.
    But it looks like the game design has shifted 180 degrees. We get a standard MMORPG with lots of grinding, quests like in other MMORPGs but we can also play this alone and offline. The whole unique concept is gone. Playing WoW alone doesn't make it a great single player game, whereas adding multiplayer support to Skyrim would make it a fantastic and unique game.

If the concept of the game really has changed (and it definitely looks like it has) then this is a shame because 1. I think it is not ok charging money up front for one game design but then delivering something different and 2. it should simply be said outright, honestly and officially that it has changed.

The single player aspect of this game - which has always been mentioned first - should NEVER be negatively impacted by the multiplayer aspect. NEVER. Because this will lead to an inferior single player experience and SotA will definitely be judged as a single player game, too - after all it is described as being a single player game, too. But right now it seems that exactly this is happening. SotA seems to head into the direction of an Offline MMORPG and no one needs this.

If the devs would outright say that they want to make SotA into a MMORPG and scrap the single player and offline parts then of course I would be disappointed but right now I think that it would be better than getting a single player game that is not fun and doesn't live up to the expectations of the fans and cannot compete with other single player RPGs out there.

14. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

I find my self playing in party only 99% of the time. Even when I'm doing something with which it doesn't matter which mode I'm in.. I don't know if it's a technologically viable option, but I'd like to see a prompt for the mode each time I zone in. This way I could use multiplayer in towns and overland map and still choose to do my farming in peace if that's what I'm doing. Logging out to change between modes is simply a bit too much of a barrier to me and I end up playing in friends only always.

Val Ravar and Tahru like this.
  15. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I like Morph with SINGLE PLAY .... I love seeing others play and sometimes just watch them , it makes the world feel not so empty :) I like the choice of soloing or joining some if I choose too.

Xandra7, uhop and Tahru like this.
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Knowing that person A I just met has rescued Charlotte from the burning house whereas I just did that ruins about everything in the game for me. Nothing I do has any value in the game. I can achieve nothing. Look I found the key to the farm house and defeated the undead there - oh wait, you just did that, too? But how...?
    In single player mode you can at least pretend to be the only hero.

17. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I put a partial blame for this on the need for PvP. (No, I am not arguing to remove PvP, it is way too late to do that.)

FFXI had a mob claim system, where nobody else could attack a mob that you had gotten to first. (It was also possible to lose claim.) But you could also heal/rez anybody, which SotA does not allow because it can be abused in PvP. So in FFXI, if someone was in trouble, you could throw heals, but in SotA all you can do is help kill the mobs.

Still, when someone is being attacked by three mobs, it's not always apparent whether the player wants to fight all three or would be happy if one could be pulled away. There's also the problem that when people are trying to solo control points, passers-by also get attacked, and I've had the soloer ***** when I fought back after getting attacked while trying to harvest reagents.

Actually, all mines are forced solo/party mode. If you don't believe me, look at the game mode under the compass while logged in as multi. There have been some that weren't forced, which gave a fun but crappy mining experience in multi, but they have all since been changed to solo/party.

18. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

crafters seem to like single player because they get to harvest all the resources.. plus some of the weird bugs seem to only happen in multi player, such as the much crashing..

19. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

I agree, they should make harvesting nodes more like Guild Wars 2 has them.
    It would encourage people to play in multiplayer big time.

Luca Xante and Sir Cabirus like this.
  20. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I agree, and do understand that.

Personally, since healing is verboten, and death is so meaningless in this game, I'm of the mind that letting others go down for the count is the more appropriate solution, than attempting to horn in on the kill.

----

As an aside: It is the individuals who feel that *every* creature in the scene is theirs and theirs alone and refuse to share, who stick in my craw.

If someone wants to have the whole scene to themselves, go to SPO/FPO mode instead. Otherwise, learn to share. :)

Gaelis and Elwyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.