Enhancements for Dynamic POTs - ideas?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Winfield, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Hail everyone! Winfield here again. FISH!

As we are approaching the SotA Launch in a few months, I am hoping more Templates, Tools, Decorations, and "How To Guides" (made by players) can be created for the Dynamic Player Owned Towns.

As we know, Portalarium said they will still work on Dynamic tools, more templates, and such. So I thought we could give them more ideas now!

Attention Getter -- here was FireLotus R34 Release Party in Phoenix Fields POT:
    [​IMG]
    A wonderful time! I hope that fountain had fish in it!

My simple question is this:

How can we make our towns as unique as possible while still allowing us to adapt and change them over time (months to years in the future) with no additional cost to us (ideally).

I am also hoping to learn and see how dynamic POTs are making themselves very unique already, so examples are welcome!

First, I remind us what Portalarium published in the 4th Quarter roadmap about POTs:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/q4-2016-schedule-update.64824

RELEASE 35, October 27, 2016 - Player Towns & Player Housing:
    • POT Owners will now be able to select from a set of start points for their town.
    • Also, new housing content will appear; including new Elven homes for the Elven bundles and Testing Incentive Program decorations.
    • Finally, updates to Dynamic Player-Owned Towns that have locked submission forms will appear in the game.

RELEASE 36, November 17, 2016 - Player Towns & Player Housing:
    • Towns with player housing will now dynamically update their icon on the Overworld based on various data, including number of claimed lots and online population.
    • Additionally we will continue to expand the Dynamic POT Tool set.
    • Also Obsidian homes for the Obsidian bundles will come online.
    • Finally, updates to Dynamic Player-Owned Towns that have locked submission forms will appear in the game.

RELEASE 37, December 15, 2016 - Player Towns & Player Housing:
    • The first iteration of Player Owned Town Blessings will go live where monuments placed in POTs will grant long term buffs whose power and/or duration will be based on the population of the town.
    • Also, more Obsidian homes for the Obsidian bundles will appear. The ability to Rent Rooms in a player home will start to become available to homeowners.
    • Additionally, work will begin on the first Static POTs.
    ==============================

Please reply with new ideas, comments, and such for at least the following categories. Reveal what really interests you or what things don't really matter. For things like Deco for POTs, if there are samples out in New Britannia now, please post the images and ideas -- those might be assets that can be readily altered to work in POTs (I don't know for certain).

New POT Templates?
    NOTE: See existing templates list here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=59140

• Archipelago – many bridges, small islands (castle to city lots)
    • Modern Town – more like Owls Head, less rustic. Static streets and special street lamps and walled inner city, ladders– maybe make this a Dynamic Only Town template to go beyond just providing rustic templates? This might appeal to static POT owners because most of their streets and walls look cool and they can worry mainly about lot markers and some deco items, which they can change over time.
    • Craggy Mountains - lots of cliffs, places to jump around, rugged terrain, canyons, rope bridges - a bit like Gem Mines area and Spite.
    You don't need to make drawings, just provide written suggestions.

For fun, here's the new tropical island walled template - would love to try this one out!

[​IMG]

What new Dynamic Tools do we want?
    • Starting Point selection (R35) - when will magic mover come out so we can move houses easily?
    • Magic House Mover
    • Tree and Lawn Mowers
    • Add/remove radar markers (points of interest)
    • Designate a house as a “residents” house using POT residents list, e.g, a community warehouse (similar mechanics to guild chapter house).
    • Teleporters to different points in the town (i.e., teleport) - can change easily for different events, so people can FIND events!
    • Boatman to different points in the town (i.e., teleport)
    • Move nested POT to POT connections objects around, or have more options where those could be dynamically placed.
    We like tutorials too so POT owners can quickly learn how to use the tools and make their POTs great and unique! What tutorials would we like? For example, here's royalsexy's video on how to place Lot Markers so you can move houses around in your dynamic POT.

What existing deco should be allowed to be used on POTs? (no increase in deco limits until optimization allows it)
    • wooden benches
    • potted plants
    • grave markers
    • bleachers
    • stage
    • Many of the move-able structures like crypts, outhouses, greenhouses (much of this is already allowed as POT deco?)
    • More!
    What new deco should be created to be used on POTs? (no increase in deco limits until optimization allows it)
    • Even bigger pavers (e.g., village lot lengths) - with and without curbs
    • Street Signs (we can put names on)
    • Huge bonfire (like in Jaanaford)
    • Rocks (big and small)
    • Different NPCs (themed: elves, zombies, ghosts, etc.) - packs in add-on store
    • Electric fences

Deco, Deco and MORE Deco!

Here are a few ideas:

Smaller deco sets like campgrounds can be used to breath life into unpopulated areas and enable roleplay/storytelling.
    [​IMG]

Larger deco sets like boarded up buildings, cargo shelters for the warf, raised platforms and watchtowers.
    [​IMG]

Huge landmarks similar to the giant yew tree, rock formations, ruined towers and other large ruins can be used to customize scenes on a larger scale.
    [​IMG]

So this thread is a bit of "brainstorming" and "wish listing". Dynamic POT, Static POT, and non-POT owners (which I guess includes everyone in New Britannia) are encouraged to brainstorm here. Tell us what interests you even if you don't have a Dynamic POT!

Ask questions too! We can all help each other!

Thanks and may the fish be with you!

Winfield

Hornpipe, Ancev, Numa and 19 others like this.
  2. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I believe that increasing the current paver sizes and shapes as per the attached image will help to encourage diversity of layout within our community town centres. It's a rather easy fix on Ports side and doesn't require altering the current deco limits. This could also be done with a variety of different textures so that dirt or sandy type roads could be laid.

I personally have used 80% of my towns decoration limits on roads alone, which doesn't leave a lot to add the nicer features.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Ditto

Mata, Alley Oop, Themo Lock and 3 others like this.
  4. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I'm going to be off the grid for a week or so, and I hope I can remember to revisit this thread when I return.
    My initial thoughts are pretty much covered, I think.

A decoration is a decoration. If I can place a decoration on my housing plot, it should also be possible to place as a town decoration.

More ruins, broken walls, ancient statues, and such.

Ancev, Solazur, Mata and 6 others like this.
  5. Winfield

Here's an example of a Dynamic POT (well, it's PaxLair) that is changing over time as people move in, settle themselves, set up a government, etc.

The flexibility of moving things around as our ideas change and people change is why PaxLair immediately went from Static to Dynamic when Dynamic became available. We are going to be around many years and certainly know we will want to change how our town looks and feels over time.

Right now PaxLair POT is in a Settler Phase and will be for a few months. That means the Castle Lot is a settler village unto itself with many services. People are moving into areas near the lake and in a forested area.

In a few months, we will start "building" downtown area with castle walls and community lots. Residents are directly involved in the ideas. We have a basic layout in mind based on February 2016 testing and here are screen shots from last February. This what we "think" Downtown PaxLair will look like. It is totally different from our original design when we were a Static POT back in Release 17.

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE FROM FEBRUARY 2016 -- PAXLAIR IS DYNAMIC SO WE CAN BUILD THIS OVER TIME AS PEOPLE ARRIVE AND SETTLE INTO THE METROPOLIS

PaxLair's Inner City - Castle Walls

[​IMG]
    View from Darkridge (the eastern ridge). South end (to the left) features the Church of the Dark Star (thanks @Amber Raine) and city cemetery, middle is the Giant Yew Tree and new stone keep, and north is the pub, market and crafting.

[​IMG]
    View from the stone bridge outside the walls. See how row houses are integrated into the walls too. Excellent for Roof Hopping (and getting around areas where walls don't fit well.

[​IMG]
    View from a balloon inside the inner city. Thanks @Engel ! See the Giant Yew Tree too! Thanks @Sean Silverfoot !

[​IMG]
    View of a new add-on store Stone 2-Story Keep with Courtyard Town Home integrated with the city walls. Thanks @Kacey Cupcakes!

[​IMG]
    Ah, the inner sanctum! The backyard pub! We must protect the Ale! Thanks to everyone!

Draft Map on SotaMap.com - http://www.sotamap.com/?map_id=228 -- with Settler Periods marked.

So that's what we think PaxLair downtown might look like. BUT, we already have some newer ideas that will change that design, and hope for more deco and tools to keep our town alive and adapting as we and the world changes.

What can we in PaxLair POT use for more deco and such? Well many of the things I put in the OP. Most especially, we want to make some large roads on the flat areas and have some curbs. We also hope to see ruins so we can set up our old towers of PaxLair that are now in Ruin according to our storyline and history.

What other tools? Again, I put many of my ideas in the OP like marking points of interest. I want to set up Sunset Rock again (with some big rock deco) and then make it a POI on the compass.

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks!

Cassandra Corax, Leelu, Mata and 2 others like this.
  6. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

I would love to see the NPC waterfront taverns that have paper lanterns and a water-facing terrace become available as POT decor. Also the floating rafts that are seen on the beach in Britanny.
    I think that the more freedom we are given regarding decor the better. Ideally anything that can be placed in a house or garden should be placeable in a POT, with the exception of crafting resource interactables like planting containers and pledge rewards such as the snowball box.

Ancev, Mata, EclipseMaiden and 6 others like this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Starting off with some new template ideas. I'll add more for other categories later.

TEMPLATES

Mediterranean-type island

Suggested by me in this thread: link; more pictures and more detailed description if you follow there. It would have cypress and juniper, rocky shores and some beaches; maybe a grotto. Nice fantasy setting and good for sacred places.
    [​IMG]

Barren forest
    Dry, cracked ground and dead trees. Only dead grass if any vegetation at all. Perfect haunting ground for ravens, ruins, and the undead. What I think of when I think "Crooked Shank" whenever the scene will be uncloned.
    [​IMG]

Winter forest
    With barren deciduous trees, the bare branches covered in hoary frost. Using the big barren types of trees at Brightbone Pass and also the winter trees at Sanctus Spine. Instead of a coniferous-based winter climate.
    [​IMG]

Craggy coast
    Exactly like the scene at Ravensmoor, with a tall craggy cliffside and outlying rocks. A harsh landscape.
    [​IMG]

Meadow
    Like the grassland template but full of flowers, sort of like Kiln; although there can be different versions; like grassland meadow, mountain meadow, etc.
    [​IMG]

8. Womby

Womby Avatar

Since fast travel within a scene can have no detrimental impact on the regional economy, I can't see why we can't have fast travel around POTs. I would like to be able to buy paired portals that act as follows: you enter either portal and it transports you to the other paired portal. They should be POT decorations that can be placed anywhere a similarly sized POT decoration can be placed. Each of the paired portals knows the coordinates of the other portal, and when a player enters one portal the player's coordinates are set to the location of the other portal.

If a portal is moved, the coordinates of its new location are automatically sent to the other portal making up the pair.

I'd be happy with just the one pair, but no doubt some will want more options - multiple portal pairs. To support that each pair would have to be visually distinct from every other pair, and you would be restricted to having no more than one of each type of portal pair in a POT. Perhaps they could be distinguished by a different symbol on top, or some such.

I think this would be a very profitable item on the add-on store.

Ancev, Numa, Solazur and 8 others like this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I really like the idea of more PoT deco similar in size to the yew tree. It made such a huge difference as a backdrop to Lockbrier that i found myself wishing for more variety in deco of that size. Perhaps some huge craftable deco? that could provide epic construction projects for a town full of residents?

Ancev, Solazur, Mata and 9 others like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Themo Lock,

I like the idea of it because it would allow POTs to have something unique about them besides the way the housing is arranged. In fact I was a little sad that when Dara Brae went dynamic they had to give up their Yew tree to the whole community, because its what made them unique from every other POT.

But if there were more things like that the variety would certainly help.

11. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I only have one idea. I would like to see a large scrying mirror, perhaps the size of a star-gate, so that one could view the various other cities. It would be interesting to see whom was out and about at the other cities. Also would be helpful to prepare for imminent attacks. Just for viewing not travel.

Ancev, Solazur, Mata and 3 others like this.
  12. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I'd like to see a regulation sized Gustball Field Tile that can be placed either on a player lot or within a player town. It would come complete with the necessary markings of the game field. This would make setting up the field a very quick and simple process. It will also be of benefit to Avatars that have limited decoration space or deeds available. Being able to put the field away after a tournament would be a huge advantage and could see an increase in the number of teams in the current league.

Numa, Mata, Sean Silverfoot and 5 others like this.
  13. Winfield

Wow, I really like this. Currently, we painfully make gustball fields now in our towns/lots and we work on dimensions, goal sizes, fence alignments, etc. It takes a few hours to make one, then when we need the space for other activities, we rip up part of it or all of it, then have to re-create it again.

As our gustball leagues start forming for competitions, we will need regulation size fields. It should be one that fits in a city basement (we tested that a while back) and on a lot (I think village will work for the same size field). In PaxLair we did this and then used the field for an All Towns Gathering too.

So if there were a pre-fab gustball field (without the bleachers), that would be great for all those reasons.

[​IMG]
    Regulation(?) Size Gustball Field in PaxLair at the Castle​

Mata, Tahru, Sean Silverfoot and 2 others like this.
  14. stidesx

stidesx Avatar

Moving and storage of lots as they sit would be useful in general and also work for the gustball situation, wouldn't it? When match is over, select the pick-up and store option and it moves to the bank. When you re-place the lot it has the buildings/etc intact.

Solazur, Mata, Winfield and 1 other person like this.
  15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I truly hope that they consider making every decoration item placeable on our POT. I have tried to set up a bar and a bank only to find out I cannot place a stage, benches, mugs, or almost anything I needed to make it look good.

I also want to see increased deco limits to make our towns look unique and special. I think our towns can be truly beautiful if we are allowed to place a vast array of decorations and roads thru out towns.

I heard that entry points are going to be adjustable. I am hoping that when entering a POT you can choose from a selection of various locations to enter, possibly closer to your in town home, or the central square etc.

I want to see public gardens working in POTs so that people with less land or no land can do gardening as well...perhaps public farming too if livestock comes in for additional cooking resources etc.

Ice fishing is still needed in our snowy biomes. I cannot fish in my town as of yet and hoping they didn't forget about that feature for our cold climates. I could easily break thru the ice with my pickaxe :)

It would be a nice touch to be able to put our pets and other NPCs we have to place on our towns to give it a more of an alive feeling. Love the thought of my excess dogs and various animals running around my POT.

There's lots more I have thought of at one time or another but it escapes me for now haha.

Mata, Winfield, Themo Lock and 3 others like this.
  16. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

This is great stuff everyone! Even if we can't get to all of this it helps guide us on priorities and next steps. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Hornpipe, Albus, Mata and 14 others like this.
  17. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Love love love the idea of a meadow

Numa, Mata, Winfield and 2 others like this.
  18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

User placeable brambles (the purple flowers in the town of bramble).

I am patiently waiting for the day I can place my waterfront Duke Castle (city sized) on a dock close to Dara Brae's entrance.

19. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hello all.

I want to make a suggestion to imrove the problems all towns have in game.

As POT are becoming a more and more important part of the game - 250 and growing! it is vital to the game
    to make those POT appealing to the game.

Currently all you POT Owners are limited to the desgin option of your Town due to House Types you have.

1. POT Owners can´t create corner or turning Streets.

Soltution: 4 NPC Houses as fillers we all can use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These 4 NPC Row Houses could be created as connectors and help POT Owners create appealing believable turns in the towns.
    No naked areas!

Dual Sided Row Houses

And now a further suggestion: A new Lot Tpye! Dual Sided Row Houses!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These all are just ideas to solve the problem of our Towns to become a better standard for all Gamers.

[​IMG]

Kind regards

Net, Solazur, Mata and 12 others like this.
  20. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

• Snap-to-grid for lot markers - 10000% easier alignment for row house streets, combining lots of neighboring sizes (like town + village)
    • Toggle grid on/off when placing lot markers for better alignments across town, with locational information (A3, B4, G17, etc)
    • Snap-to for Castle Wall Pieces
    • Swappable bridge and dock styles - precoded hardpoints for templates, each type has a plaque that can be clicked on to bring up an interface to pay in-game gold to swap styles
    • Figure out a way to change a town from %specific template% to %the same template's variation% without wiping the town
    • Templates with the Ardoris/Solania style cobble in place of the normal grey cobble
    • Customizable town levels with permission flags (want this for guilds too, btw)
    • Terraced town templates (both coastal and mountain)
    • Floating island template (multiple biomes)
    • I support road length pavers. Give us various types (dirt/cobble/hexcobble/etc) and match their length to conform with the length of various lot markers
    • I support intra-scene fast travel via future-determined mechanisms, and would like various themes to them, to mix and match, such as stone circles, fairy rings, etc
    • Moveable POT interconnections - Place the marker (wagon, boat, balloon) in the scene, then allow us to move them and change the marker type, to avoid wagon circles and such
    • Assign scene exits as POT interconnections, similar to Central Brittany
    • I support @Myrcello's notion for corner houses
    • Add-On Store and craftable houses that are made to be used as inns with rentable housing
    • Garden deco (craftable / AddOn) for POTs (like Brittany Estates, but more options)
    • Increased POT deco limits, perhaps with a new system to limit how much POT deco can be placed in a specific predetermined area, so that yes, you can have 1000 items as POT deco, but no more than 20 objects in an area the size of a city lot (ballparking here, DLMB)
    @BurningToad @Hutch @bobcooksey @Scottie @Sannio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.