Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Remove Interrupts

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Read what I said....
    There's no reason that players should be subjected to this broken system while they are figuring out what to do. Either fix it or remove interrupts until it's fixed.

Elnoth likes this.
  2. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I stand by my statement. Removing them is silly talk, regardless of wether there is something else in the works.

3. Drocis the Devious

I believe it's "silly talk" to keep a broken system running just "because".

If my spells were powerful enough to kill things instantly then interrupts would make a lot more sense. But this is a DPS war of attrition. If I get interrupted every time I take 1 point of damage then mages are effectively gimped....

When I say mages I mean real ones. Real mages wear robes, they don't wear armor. Real mages don't have shields or use weapons.

kaeshiva likes this.
  4. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

It's not a broken system. It is working as intended.

Perhaps the balance is not to your liking which is why I suggested a skill that would offer a reactve based counter to shift the game meta more towards your liking.

Rinaldi and Black Tortoise like this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

True, but..
    This is silly. If they did this for everyone that complained, we would only be able to have tea parties.

6. Drocis the Devious

If it's working as intended it's poorly designed.

I don't like your suggestion by the way. I think there's way too much of that in the game already.

7. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Sorry I disagree,

The points your making to be able to Counter Interrupts, will make mages GOD like. (and I'm a Mage)
    I listed plenty of in game skills and ways to over come interrupts at a reasonable rate. you train Defensive skills,,, Last time I took no damage in a fight was when I dodged the attack and finished my cast and got my spell off. or they just plainly Miss with there attack and I got my spell off. and when he hit me if I was in the middle of casting, it got interrupted, I took a lil damage and casted again.

Now is there fast spell spamming going on to just completely cause interrupts on mages,,,,id bet yes.... can I counter them back fast non casting spells, yes
    But I can not think of when I was ever able to kill in UO with Flame strike (8th circle spell) because it got interrupted every time,,, took forever to cast, I favored spamming level 1 Harm and level 1 magic arrow, killed plenty with them spells and throwing in the level 2 fire ball all the time worked great.

Tahru likes this.
  8. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Have you tried using other skills to prevent spell interruption? I know that when I was levelling earthquake I used dazzling rays as a fast cast stun to reduce the interrupts on my slow cast earthquake. I didn't assume automatically that the game design was poor, I looked at the game elements that would help me with my problem and came up with my own solution.

Rinaldi and Tahru like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I haven't suggested a single thing. I just said "fix it".

You're arguing against fixing it.

10. Drocis the Devious

To avoid interruption you have to take ZERO damage. What other skill makes you take zero damage? None of them. They're all random passive BS that improves your chances but doesn't actually counter jack squat.

@Chris Here's my suggestion. Make interruptions happen only if you're moving. If you stand still you can concentrate enough to avoid interruptions. Hell, make it a passive skill that works like that, fine. But at least make it so that it rewards REAL mages that are not wearing armor and are not running around with six shooters. That would be a fair compromise.

11. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

You take zero damage when the mob is stunned. You take zero damage when meelee mobs are snared and not right next to you. Lots of ways to achieve taking zero damage.

Of course you are not always going to take zero damage. That would put you in god mode, and is silly talk ;)

Rinaldi and marthos like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

So now every spell with casting time needs to follow up a stun or root? Great system. No silly talk there.

I wonder why we don't make that happen combat system wide. Sorry warrior, every swing you take should first require you to use this other skill to set it up. Oh you're fighting more than one thing at a time? Well then just use that skill 40 times! No silly talk at all.

Please stop with the "silly talk" though. It's an insult when used the way you're doing it.

13. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

You Said

I kill stuff just fine,,,I get interrupted I recast something new,
    Next we are going to have melee fighters complaining that they missed. haha no difference, Mages get interrupter fighters miss sometime, its all balanced.

14. Drocis the Devious

There are a lot of things that are unbalanced in this game right now. Combat is far from balanced.

I'm used to people saying "it's all balanced" though, they've been doing it since about release 9. And they've been wrong ever since.

Nolove 0369 likes this.
  15. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

Theres a big difference to a GM meelee swing that hits for 20 compared to an equivalent level mage spell that can hit for over 250 when stacked. Don't try and compare the two when talking interrupts, completely irrelevant.

[​IMG]

I'm sorry if my comments are interpreted as insults, even when used with the ;) to indicate it is intended as mildly sarcastic light hearted humour.

Nolove 0369 likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Earthquake (even if stacked) doesn't hit for 500+ points of damage every time. It's a range of damage, as are all spells.

I have no idea why or even what you're trying to argue here either. You seem to think that just getting off one earthquake is going to kill whatever you're fighting, even though you can see in the screen shot you provided that it doesn't.

The system isn't balanced. It wouldn't be balanced if we removed interrupts for a time either. But at least it wouldn't completely screw over real mages.

Nolove 0369 likes this.
  17. marthos

marthos Avatar

I really don't see how the system is broken. I might just be blind to it because for decades I've played games where wizards can be interrupted, and hence they prefer to be in the backlines avoiding getting hit.

I'm not fond of the proposal that standing still would prevent all interruptions. It just feels very wrong and encourages a different playstyle than I'd like. I'm in the camp of encouraging players to avoid interruptions by focusing on movement speed, positioning, cover, timing your long induction spells, and using dodge/evasion type buffs

Nolove 0369 likes this.
  18. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I'm just trying to point out that you can't compare interrupts of meelee swings to spells, as per this comment of yours:

I do not think that getting off one earthquake is going to kill whatever you're fighting, I never even insinuated this, so don't put words into my mouth that aren't remotely close to the truth. I'm just using the pic to support my argument that meelee swings can't be compared to spells in terms of damage output, and requiring them to be interrupted as you suggest.

Nolove 0369 likes this.
  19. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Balance doesn't mean to be exactly the same. If it did, there wouldn't be any point to having different schools of combat that are "balanced". You can't use a sword to resurrect people or summon animals or shoot fire balls across a room, because it's a sword and that's not what swords do.

Magic is more powerful and more versatile than melee, which is why it's also more expensive and more conditional. You can't just point to some aspect that doesn't work the same for both and say that it's imbalanced, because the two aren't meant to be the same in the first place. You have to look at the entire picture, and right now magic is doing pretty well. Maybe at some point there will be a focus skill that gives a chance to cast through an interruption, but removing interrupts altogether or when not moving is obviously not going to happen unless a lot of other things change first.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Nolove 0369 likes this.
  20. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

I was fighting the Patriarch Bears earlier today and I noticed that there is a certain attack they do that interrupts and pushes you back. This attack seems to be on a timer..and fires off every so many seconds. So I would wait for his interrupting attack, then use a stun and cast whatever spell I needed to cast.

It works everytime. I never get interrupted.

The game does have a counter to interruption. It is called skill.

BTW, combat is not balanced. Magic is by far the most OP part of combat. Peruse the Combat/Skills part of the forum for an education.

Nolove 0369 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.