Shroud of the Avatar - Get your money back or keep it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vallo Frostbane, Oct 12, 2016.

?

Would you take the refund?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    81.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I agree with Sir Cabirus and am still holding on and hopeful. But they really need to create a more immersive story. I played the love story line from start to finish on the QA server and I found a couple of problems on something that was supposed to be finished and polished. Fortunately, they are going back over it to fix this up. Also, it doesn't have the type of story depth that Ultima 7 Serpent Isle had, and I don't think that it will. This is probably due to the fact that they are too split focused on single player offline and multiplayer modes, so they clearly needed to compromise here. Anyways, I won't ask for a refund, and it most certainly wouldn't help them if I did. I will hang on till the end.

2. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

I don't have a complain about the game. I like it. I like where it is going and I am very excited to see where the story goes. I am very excited for the story, actually.

I am not bothered at all by the combat. I don't find it unfair, or anything like that. I simply do not understand why everyone is upset about hitting, criticals, focus and the sort. Maybe it's because I don't play MMOs and don't get into all the techno-babble that people enjoy. I play a game for the game. I don't try to problem-solve how to get the best out of a build, I just build what feels natural. If it works, great, if not, I'll tweak. I am enjoying it.

I'd rather spend my brainpower considering story ideas and writing books and exploring the history of places than how many clicks I can do to get to a GM ability or whatever.

What I absolutely love about the game is the people I've met so far. There are some decent role-players out there, and a lot of people working really hard on the community. I like to participate in the community building, creating our own stories and seeing what the story of the world is a lot more than quibbling over stats.

I do not regret a single dollar that I put into this game. I don't think I put much in. I don't have very much special equipment, and I don't have a lot or a house. I'm just enjoying the game.

3. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Would I want my money back? no not all of it, but I do feel Ive bought far more than I really should.. and for what I have to show for it, eg, I dont have a town, or a huge house, or mega gear really or anything.. I wish I could know what I know now and go back in time and spend less and more wisely

4. Vidgrip

Vidgrip Avatar

I've only spent $45, so I voted "No". I'd kick-in that much for a chance to poke around under the hood of any new mmorpg in development if I thought it had something new and interesting to offer. SotA certainly does. I've already had a good bit of fun here and continue to log in several times a week.

5. Makaryus Drach

Makaryus Drach Avatar

No way. The community alone keeps me coming back. Each release seems to be better than the last... even if I don't think so right away. I love a good story and I've been waiting a long time for this. If you're like me and you haven't already, read The Sword of Midras.
    The feeling I get just by travelling between Midmaer and Paladis... :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  6. Aord

Aord Avatar

It seem very strange many would evaluate SOTA as a finished/polished product and base their decision on this. You can't be serious!
    I would like devs to keep my money even if I won't be playing SOTA anymore. A gift freely given.

7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

So far i see it as a brilliant investment of my hard earned money.
    So uhhh...nope.

8. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

lol no - Football came around and didn't even trump it. Watcha doin? oh just cutting down trees and watching football, you ?
    [​IMG]

9. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

@Aord I don't think it should be evaluated as a finished product. It should be evaluated as a persistent product and one that is unlikely to change key fundamental design choices. It should also be evaluated for the chosen direction. For people wanting a forced PvP full loot world, this isn't for them. For people wanting a minimal grind, this isn't for them. For people wanting weapons that grow with the player and gain interesting facets based on use, this isn't for them (it may be one day, but the big push for disposable gear killed most of that concept so far). For people wanting a point and click adventure, this isn't for them. Just because the game isn't finished, doesn't mean it can't be evaluated, but I do agree it should be treated like the work in progress it is.

10. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I am hopeful as well. I give credit to the amount of monthly updates that this team has done. It is very impressive even with all the issue that arise. The community, for the most part, is really great. The game has huge potential. I hope to see it realized.

11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Not everyone will be playing a lot since content is limited. Personally, I'm addicted to the gameplay. I think we're still a good 6 months or more from final release (just and educated guess) - but once all the Paths are finished and they add things like town sieges, guild wars and a lot more sub quests.. then you'll see a thriving online community in New Britannia.

12. Makaryus Drach

Makaryus Drach Avatar

This is so me. Haha!

13. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

Definitely not. I'm having a lot of fun playing as it is and I'm confident that some of the key features for me will see a lot of improvements (crafting, more varying skill builds to mention a couple).

14. psteg

psteg Avatar

Do not want to sell. I like the game very much so far. And I do believe it will get better as we go along. I have many things to do and learn yet and the guild I belong to have the nicest most generous people you could be associated with. I am sticking it out.

15. Ellrynn

Ellrynn Avatar

No . ( hum ... sorry for my bad english )
    I like this game, I came to pass fun time, to know the story ,to play with friends, to craft ....it is a good game.
    It is necessary to let devs work, we must give them time , and not want always anything else, what is only slowing down the construction of the game .

Zhoc, zyxe, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Yes. Knowing i always can reinvest if the Game turns again.

To many things missing for me.

Missing Rare Item collection without the need to spend cash.
    Immersive Locations - the Decorative Freedom interfers to much for my taste with the gaming world on to many locations
    Did up till today feel turned off from christmas trees in the desert and such.
    If time could be turned back inwluld have suggested to have more pure NPC towns and no outside decoration option for Gamers
    I do not like the business idea of arguing that you can get all game content free - but in fact you get majorly only the not so pretty items or houses through gaming.
    I thought we would end up with maybe 10 POTs, not the current amount of over 250.
    I wish they had 250 different PRT instead.
    And those PRT themed.
    Some you could have made viking PRT, some purr Elves, some pure Kobold and so on. PRT in the mountains are snow. And you could only place as a gamer houses fitting to that themed area.
    Else you end up to often in the same Mix of Chaos Towns.
    If you know one PRT you know all currently.
    The weather system was giving me the impression to be aimed to be more suffisticated as it turned out.
    The Game did not manage to create a sense of danger or connection to the world.
    To many loading interruptions.

But Housing is great. If you are willing to spend.
    It has awesome houses and decoration opuions. That i liked.

If you are a Social Gamer and love Games like Second Live - i recommend SotA.

Just like Second Live you will find parties with dancing and real DJ playing and talking.
    Huge Player Events with theator, tournaments, marriage and sport events.
    Even ingame instrument playing is nice

If they allow moded player created Item Sale one day i see it becoming a true Alternative for
    Second Live Fans.

And that is for me the true direction of the Game .
    As this is also the area the current business model fits best to keep cash coming in.

But i am more a UO early years Fans.
    This the Game tries to cover also.
    But i came to the conclusion that they should drop it as the compromise will not work.

The Solo Game will not keep sustainability also so i expect it to get less love.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    docdoom77, yinki, Kilhwch and 4 others like this.
  17. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

Having spent only 65$ on it and played 500 hours since r14 id be somewhat of an hypocrite if i said yes, to get my money back.. but the funny thing is, i probably will get everything i "invested" back by selling lot deed i won in the raffle. Im not saying i will , but its temptin since i dont play much anymore. Who knows tho pvp might kick in someday to get me back.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  18. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

I enjoy the game.
    I don't feel like I have given enough money in relation to the time and enjoyment I get out of the game.
    I will continue to spend money on stuff from the add-on store whether I want it or not because I know it goes to support the people on the project and get the game ready for go live.

Aord, Pikegirl, Leelu and 5 others like this.
  19. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I agree I mean if I had spent less then a hundred dollars for instance I would probably have voted no. If I could go back in time I too would have spent less and more wisely as you put it.

20. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Wow! :D You have embraced the grind!
    LOL I bet you got tons of wood ;)!
    It's sick :p:) I've done that too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.