Combat - has the movement paradigm wreck been fixed yet? [EG: Stop moving because in combat]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bluefire, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Is this still the way combat functions?

Try as I might, I can't bring myself to login until this is resolved. I am in the "cursor-mode with left+right mouse button to move" camp and it drives me bonkers that I stop walking because I enter combat, have to enable auto-attack or use my middle mouse button to move again. Simply over it.

[​IMG]

Movement paradigm needs to remain constant regardless of combat or auto-attack state. I know this doesn't affect people who use "WASD" or similar, but for those of us that prefer mouse it is obnoxious to deal with.

Bluefire

Alley Oop likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I always use my mouse, but when out of combat I will sometimes use the 'w' key to walk and also the mouse key to to turn look up etc. I rarely use WASD. Also during combat there are still some target issues that are being worked on, some should be fixed in R35 I hear and should be continuous to being worked on. I also like to not use auto attack as I like to wind up my hits, so I really need to use the 'w' key when walking in combat. Even though there is some awkward I'm still doing it so I can know what is what as it changes, well or hope to know. ;) I usually double click the enemy to start combat and I am melee and I don't think it works the best it could. Also to heal other since I support play as well, I am not a big fan of how responsive changing targets to heal are, but I'm hoping for a good revamp coming soon. So you are not playing because of this? Hello BTW :)

Bluefire likes this.
  3. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Hello to you as well, Majoria! Good to hear from you again. This is the one sticking point that I just can't get through. My primary focus is going to be high-end combat and I just can't bring myself to keep working in this broken mechanic that will create muscle-memory that inflicts future game play not only in this game but others. Movement needs to be seamless across modes for both keyboard and mouse players. I would love to wind-up my hits, but can't because I want to move with right+left buttons (or just right if possible).

A couple releases back I lost what I consider epic battles simply because I was spending too much time getting my head around why I couldn't move and clicking the mapped buttons on my mouse to get into modes that do not indicate themselves. This makes the game unplayable to me and I'm tired I pushing through it.

I agree there is work to be done with targeting. I too would enjoy playing a healer, but as it stands right now, without the ability to lock target easily it isn't something I would want to try. I prefer clicking on the group member title on screen or left clicking the player avatar.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Any other thoughts? I can't believe everyone else who uses their mouse for movement is happy with the current situation? I have responded to several threads about this over the last few releases and they all seem to go ignored.

5. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I use the reticle and WASD so I don't feel your pain on this one. But from players I talk to that play one handed they have been scripting to find manual workarounds. Like macro that puts you in combat and automatically turns on auto attack. Seems to help a little but still a lot of pain points with macro getting out of sync with mode.

For me I could not survive without the ability to side step.

Olthadir and Bluefire like this.
  6. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I have side step programmed on my mouse - use my thumb to side-step. It's pretty nice. Just over having to click extra buttons to keep moving with the mouse. I've tried to macro around it, but honestly would like to charge shots using another button or with my keyboard and move with left+right on the mouse. I'd also like to have shift and alt freed up for additional key-mapping. Like to keep my left hand over its familiar terrain (QWERTY-side) with my right hand covering camera,movement,and basic interaction. I also appreciate being able to do things like alt+shift+left-click to perform actions like draw weapon, sit, etc. But it's apparently more important to waste alt on temporary self-target instead of letting us assign that to a key or button we would like it to be on.

Fister Magee and FrostII like this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I think, even though you may have done this already at one time or another. Something that might help is to create a mouse users guide to the perfect mousing experience and put it in feature requests and of course I always say diagrams and pictures as well go a long way for visual enticements ;), well just a thought. :)

Pikegirl likes this.
  8. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

Yeah, dedicated SotA 1 handed mouse-specific movement deserves a guide of its own. @Bluefire, you look experienced in this, so do consider making it a niche resource for other mouse movement players.

9. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I appreciate the sentiment of what @Pikegirl and @majoria70 are asking for with a guide, but I find it unplayable in the current state. I could certainly make a guide but it would likely be riddled with sarcasm and disdain. Movement should be fluid and never change based on state changes outside of player control. I will consider it as I could see that the guide might shed more light into how frustrating this is.

If they rolled back control to pre REL 22 and fixed targeting like what was being asked for back then the game would be perfect in my opinion.

10. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

I use AHK in tandem with mouse button mapping tool to rework/simplify any game's input.

Really no limit

11. Valith Ruan

Valith Ruan Avatar

Has anyone else had an issue with holding two wasd keys and trying to tap an ability hotkey at the same time? Sometimes when kiting I'm holding A+S and while doing so I can't use a third finger to tap #4 to use an ability. I have to let go of A or S to hit the third key. For now I just mapped the abilities to mouse buttons (back, forward, mouse wheel click) but it is still kind of annoying not to be able to use abilities while moving in diagonals.

12. WehTeheFf

WehTeheFf Avatar

Afaik that depends on your keyboard (or drivers?). So I think there's not much that Port could do to change that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

13. Valith Ruan

Valith Ruan Avatar

Alright, thanks I'll try to update those when I get home and see if it improves my situation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.