Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Done with Multiplayer online

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Burzmali, Oct 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I've tried, but I don't know what's the matter with SotA's net code, but I'm done with multiplayer online for everyday play.

I'm consistently getting wrecked by enemies I can handle solo if I'm in a scene with other players. I had a yellow archer score 4 or 5 consecutive front facing crits, while I missed better than half mine, yet in a solo scene I can consistently handle 2 at a time without falling much below half health. I had to hit an elder wolf twice before my slowing arrow actually slowed down its movement despite the effect marker showing, never happens in solo scenes. I had a kobold fighter chasing me done a hill, outside of melee range, stopping to swing at the air every few moments and hitting, never happens in solo mode.

Net code that doesn't suck is the cornerstone of a playable MMO.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Is this common for anyone else?
    Ive never noticed a difficulty differnce between friends online and online multi ? Is Single player dif?

Quenton, x_Selene_x and Leelu like this.
  3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Multi is very laggy. Can even see it when looting bodies.

Friends online is where I end up.

Alexander, Josh Randall and Leelu like this.
  4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I have found no difference in any mode. The only difference I've found is that in multiplayer we run the risk that others are harvesting resources at the same time as us, and killing monsters off lowering our returns on XP gain.

Not sure how developer's deal with that. I have ideas but they probably aren't the best ideas. However even if I'm playing FRIENDS or SINGLE player online I wouldn't mind having the option to see others in towns. The reasons I'm currently using SPO for are not needed in town and I would like to see people and be seen so the world doesn't seem empty.

If PvP scenes will pull a player out of SPO then why not have the option to see others in a town too?

... for that matter why not have the option to see people in the overland map the same way. I may only want to go SPO to go into a forest scene alone but not the rest of the world. Besides forests and the world is so big it doesn't seem unrealistic to venture out in a jungle and not see anybody for days.

Leelu likes this.
  5. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I was laggy in multi until the last release, now generally no issues.

Numa and Leelu like this.
  6. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

They did make a change to this with the last patch because of a bug with players losing sync with the scene. I think the change actually made it worse. It seems to try and predict where players will be and you see people fall off a cliff when trying to jump but they really make the jump. Seems like lag, but really just seems like they need to make more adjustments to get it right.

Moiseyev Trueden, Leelu and StevieD like this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Sounds tricky. I remember that players were able to use polarms and hit people running away from halfway across the area. Perhaps this predictions thing is to try and remedy that. To be honest I never expected that sort of tech at all. I'm glad it is happening. I wonder if it works better on some clients vs other clients based upon the speed of the hardware. Does shroud use multithreading? I remember reading a few years ago that unity and other engines do not utilize that enough. I'm Not sure if that is even relevant to this, but something is going on in some way.

Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Solo has hiccups like bears and kobolds being able to hit you with melee attacks despite their animation completing and the damage being dealt while you are dozens of yards away, I've away figured that was the run of the mill cutting of corners on Port's part, one of the many features folks in these parts ignore, but that will get the title crucified when non-fanboy reviewers lay hands on it. Multiplayer, at least for me, magnifies this "effect" several times over, at least in solo enemies have to close to melee range in order to initiate their attack, in multi they only need to close on a spot I was standing half a second or so ago to start an attack. Archer crit rate is already excessive, but in multi mode it seems like crit rate is near double what I see in solo for some archers, suggesting that SotA thinks that the archer is targeting my back despite my current facing.

StevieD, Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I encountered similar problems when grouped or in a scene with more than one other player.

Leelu likes this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

No, I don't find this issue to be common in my game play. But I can't say it hasn't happened. As the release notes say we are still in a prerelease build and don't expect optimization yet.

11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

This isn't an optimization issue, this is an online game, the net code is core to the experience. Any combat balancing based on the current net code is worthless if this net code is fixed. I'm confused as to how the game can be a year from release but still not be able to handle more than one person in a scene without significantly altering the combat experience.

That or it's because I'm on Linux and got the short end of the stick.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  12. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Yes, I've noticed this as well - and although I like MP, and dislike the lag and issues, I still prefer to play it hoping they will fix these issues.

But yes, there is a significant difference playing solo and MP - I can last a lot longer in solo than in MP - think I hold the leader position for deaths in MP :)

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

So in comparison to friends / party mode.. is single player easier?

Is it intended to be easier?

14. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I'll get loot / container open lag often enough, but not a lot of combat lag.

I do seem to get "hit from behind" more often from opponents that are actually in front of me but off to the side... as if my front-facing has narrowed. But I only have subjective experience and no hard numbers to verify perception vs. reality on that one.

15. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Less easier and more not busted. From how it feels, it's like the AI is playing an FPS where your position only updates once or twice a second.

16. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

We can't be sure since the logs aren't providing enough feedback bit it feels like the game is tracking our facing vector and position independently and if there is more lag one than the other, it'd be easy to end up with a bad calculation.

17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I've found this to be the case as well, severe lag and delay in combat responsiveness, in multiplayer. Includes things 'dying' with large chunks of health left, 4-5 second delay in looting corpses, etc. While previously I was on friends mode to not have to 'share' spawns the performance issue has made me play there pretty much exclusively, I only switch to multi if I'm hanging out in town.

18. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I've not experienced any lag in combat in MPO... usually only 2-3 players max per scene though. So maybe with 5, 10, or 15 people in a scene it starts to get bad? I'm only talking about PvE.

I'd be interested to know what kind of network connections and location folks are playing on/from that are experiencing consistent combat lag?

19. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I'm in the Northeast US with cable connection. I've run plenty of more demanding titles without lag so unless SotA is pushing far more data than I would expect, I doubt my connection is to blame. Since the problem is MPO only, I'd guess that keeping the clients sync'd is to blame. I only really notice it when I'm running solo in a scene with other folks, if I'm in a party, combat is such a noisy mess that I probably wouldn't notice a second of lag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.