Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dev mining invitions

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Nolove 0369, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

My Elysium run last weekend had more spawns in the final room, and but I was still waiting for ore respawns.

I'm AoE spec though. Corpse Explosion and Death Field mainly + def buffs.

Looting/not looting seems to have changed as well. Used to give you longer respawn times.

Certainly helps to not have respawns dribble in. That would interrupt gathering quite a lot

2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

How in the hell are you killing an elemental in 10 seconds as an archer? I'd really like to know.

uhop likes this.
  3. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

No idea about him but I'm playing ranged too and using magic all the time (there is any player not using magic in this game?).

Aimed shot + Ice fist + Discharge is all I use in Elysium. Both spells free-reagent :)

LoneStranger likes this.
  4. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Through the powers of imagination or exploitation I'd guess. Elementals have rubbish pathing making it trivial to group them up and gun them down with AoE while their pathing misfires.

LoneStranger likes this.
  5. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

I'm guessing magic is the Next Big Nerf(tm) in R35.

6. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Eh, if I get a couple crits in and I get the first shot (which seems impossible nowadays as they all magically snap to face me as soon as I step into range), I can often take one down with Ice Arrow and Searing Ray before it gets to me. If not I have it seriously injured and ready to go down quick.

7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

So, you really aren't killing them as an archer. I take advantage of the pathfinding but as an archer, I'm not using AoE spells. I have to take them out one at a time or whittle two down in twice the time.

8. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I beat them as an archer, since their pathing is messed up around the water, at least half my shots are in the back. If I am facing three or more I'll mix in the fan shot and chain lightning to boot, but 90% of the damage will be aimed shot and regular attacks. 10 seconds is optimistic for such a fight, but with luck I can usually drop one in 20-30 seconds without being attacked.

LoneStranger likes this.
  9. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Definitely sounds broken to me - per what the devs have said in the past that we are not supposed to be able to attack what can't attack us (not that I agree).

10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Except that they can attack us, provided they get their earthy butts to us. We just have the advantage of changing our position, and therefore, forcing the elemental to calculate a new path. And what do you know, that new path takes them away from us before they can head toward us, so we get shots to the back.

Bluefire likes this.
  11. aseltine

aseltine Avatar

The idea that people feel a need to spend 6 hours straight in a mine showcases a problem, not something working well. There is so much in this game to do and enjoy, if we're spending this much time mining to get a lousy stack of ore, the balance is off.

Bluefire and Xandra7 like this.
  12. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Another way to think about this design path is that your wanting silver to raise MW skills, these in themselves are to enable you as a crafter to take you passed the basic weapon enchants and into the 'higher end' content available. In truth I think Port dropped the ball by not making this inaccessible to low level players from day one therefore creating a false experience curve for those that progressed early on with their MW skill and then left others playing catch up. Many people who did this seem then to have been left behind the adventure level curve so with the subsequent changes made to difficulty cannot mine with ease like in the 'good old days' i.e. a whole 2 months ago.

Personally I came to the crafting element of the game late having concentrated on leveling up adventure side and yes purchasing said nice items off those who crafted, I'm now mining silver & gold myself for MW skills for ALL the different trades so have that part of the ride being much harder & slower i.e reduced spawn rates, nodes in a mine and additional mob spawns. I actually like the spawn rate as mining for 3-4hrs straight is just dull and so getting to kill stuff as I play works for me.

Is it an area I'd recommend new people to race to?, absolutely not but it's something to aim for long term as the game develops further. For a level playing field Port should never have gone persistent until say a week before 'release' imho, I understand why they did but it has had a ripple effect with player base for occurrences like this that would be easily defused if a wipe was in place.

Snikorts and Xandra7 like this.
  13. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Devs don't care... "All works as intended" new SOTA trademark. And they wonder why people are leaving... :confused::eek:

Snikorts likes this.
  14. Rada Torment

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...evel-annoying-crazy-respawn-rate.65677/page-8

Check my last post here, I'm updating my last silver runs to show how is possible to mine with adv 60+ without any high/GM skill.

15. Kirran

Kirran Avatar

16. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Have they also nerfed the chain lightning? Cause if they have, I think this game is ready to die then, it's all cool. It will happen as intended. I shouldn't be sarcastic.. but MAN... :confused: It often feels that this is what devs aim for...

17. Rada Torment

No afaik, but I'm not using it right now (lvl 62). Immolation was a test but my three spells (discharge, ice fist and flame fist) are free-reagent spells, all I need to kill elementals.

Chain lighting + Discharge + Ice fist is also a really good combo for Earth elementals.

18. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I don't think pre-"official release" nerf (balance) rounds are any reason to think the game will die. A good reason to personally step away for now and check back closer to or after "official release", sure.

What I don't get is the over-control of the heavy resource dependent crafting system. I've played in a game where you could pump hundreds of thousands of minerals out of the ground in a few days while offline (huge powered harvesters) and common items were easily made and fetched a reasonable price for a crafter to more than break even after buying the resources in the market from other players. Even the crafted items could be built once with a critical success and turned into a schematic where 100 identical items could then be created automatically via the crafting stations as long as you had the exact resources you used to build the schematic.... and still the crafter could make a profit from the run and the players buying the items would pay price they found to be reasonable. Standard and good items were plentiful and inexpensive.

The best of the best items were rare because it took three ingredients to make the best.
    1) Several top-notch crafters working together to make components that had to be combined by other specialized crafters. No one crafter could make everything, unless they had 5 alts. Top-notch meant they needed special gear in addition to max level in their field, including modded clothing, buffs applied by other players, food to ensure success, the ability to experiment, and finally special quests that helped them increase their base skills.
    2) Rare materials that could not always be found in the game. Materials spawned on a nearly weekly basis in different locations or not at all. Basic materials were always available, but you didn't know where to find them from week to week. All you had to do was spend time tracking them, hone in to the richest concentration and drop a harvester or manually harvest some yourself. There were thousands of resources in the game from several families of materials split into organic (creature hides/meat/milk/bone and flora food/structural) and inorganic (4 major chemical catagories, 2 major gas categories, 5 major metal categories, and Water). Variety is what made it interesting and made for the possibility of different bonuses and outcomes found in trial and error until it was all documented in wikis. ;)
    3) Planning and persistence.

One additional ingredient for making some of the items was extreme risk - typically by combining the components during their final build in a hostile environment. This was only true for a few things in the game. They were incredibly fun to build or defend the crafters while they worked. Intense fun.

SOTA currently has the following ingredients:
    1) Extreme waste of resources. Several trees to make a whistle? Really?
    2) Crafting and Master work are a huge time-sync that frequently results in absolutely nothing. This has an air of reality to it in that we can waste our efforts and invest in the wrong things, however there should be something other than XP to show for manually working resources.
    3) Artificially protected nodes. The nodes are not in a risk versus reward configuration. It would be more precise to say it is a time sink system that provides annoying interruptions (MOB respawns) that just make the time sink more drawn out. It is predictable and easily botted.
    4) Many players would much rather build their own gear than buy from another crafter.
    5) Decay was invalidated with the introduction of COTOs. Hey, it's a fair play to see if that could help with the long term financial success of the game.

In the other game decay was eventually just removed for most items and binding on first use was introduced for several things - I am not advocating binding....it is dumb. Decay to the point of loss is bad, too. We should need to rely on master crafters for repair kits to maintain and repair all our items.

Snikorts likes this.
  19. rild

rild Avatar

*yawn* can we get more mobs? maybe a milder version of control point spawning, with increasingly exotic elementals? i feel like i'm taking advantage of these poor mines

Themo Lock likes this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

In fact we have that, hardcore mining at the obsidian forge woohoo!

rild likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.