1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Encumbrance Changes (R35)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Encumbrance has now been made more realistic in its behavior. Previously, players could carry any amount and still move at a decent speed. Focus would slowly drain away at a constant rate but running out of focus would not prevent movement. In addition to not being very realistic, this behavior was also enabling some unwanted behaviors such as players mining for hours on end without the need to ever go back to town. Also, this was making it trivial to transport any amount of goods across the world with little effort.

Starting in R35, encumbrance will slow the player and use focus fairly proportionally with the amount the are overloaded. Carry twice the amount you’re supposed to will cut your movement speed in half and drain focus at a slow rate. Carry ten times the amount you should will make you move around a tenth your usual speed and also use ten times as much focus. There is a lower cap to how slow players can move but focus costs continue to rise. Additionally, running out of focus will now prevent movement until the player has a chance to rest and regain some focus.

It is advised that players who are carrying an extreme amount of goods stop by a bank or their house and unload some extra weight before the patch. Otherwise, players might be in for a long slow crawl home the day after the patch! The exact math behind this will no doubt receive some further tuning based on feedback but be aware this is intended to inconvenience players who are trying to perform what would normally be considered impossible feats of carrying far more than was intended.

NOTE: The encumbrance rule will not apply in towns.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Physics immersion confirmed

Derium, rild, Bodhbh Dearg and 5 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Thanks for making announcements about key changes like this Berek. It's very helpful to know what and why things are changing.

I also really appreciated Starr's thoughtful explanations in the last developer hangout. I noticed an attempt to be more open with information and take the time to help people understand why things were the way they were. Please keep up the great work. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I would encourage the development team to take a good look at the weight of all the items in the game. There are many that just don't "make sense", for example I purchased a medium and large ruins set from the add-on store, but they both weigh equally at 40 lbs. Which of course defies any logic. We can compare that weight with other objects in the game that are large, like the wishing well for example, and see that it only weighs 1 lbs!

We really need to go back and inventory all the items in the game and give them weight that makes sense.

4. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Sounds reasonable to me. Especially since my mage can carry around 400 pounds anyway lol. Now we just need dynamic muscle growth so that I can show off my mage's tree trunk sized muscles. Then again, it would look like every Outlander in New Brittany is taking steroids if that happened...

Kaisa, Acred and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Couldin

Couldin Avatar

If you run out of focus in combat will you be unable to move too?

John Markus, Beaumaris, Acred and 4 others like this.
  6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Running out of focus preventing movement ONLY applies when severely encumbered? Otherwise my focus starved baby-mage is going to be getting screwed quite a lot in combat.

7. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

LOL - gotta love it, yet another impediment to traveling and moving.

Are there any more impediments that can be tacked on to make traveling even more of a burden and time sink?

8. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Gimme your coconuts!

Alexander, Kaisa, x_Selene_x and 2 others like this.
  9. golruul

golruul Avatar

Can this be relaxed when inside a town? My use cases:
    • I buy 500-1000 buckets of water and drag it to my lot to water the plants. I don't see a valid reason in making me walk back and forth 5-10 times to accomplish this, other than to annoy the player.
    • For crafting, I generally store everything in a bag per crafting station. So, all my ore and everything I get from mining go into the "Smelting" crafting bag. If I want to craft some plate armor, for instance, I bring the "Smelting", "Blacksmith", and "Fuels" bags from the bank. Having to fish out the exact ingredients every time before I go to craft (and hope I'm correct) would be annoying. I also do a lot of "since I'm here, why not" crafting
    I'm fine with this change for overland travel.

monkeysmack, uhop, Elwyn and 7 others like this.
  10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Yes, and I'm sure they will. However, this is similar to how encumbrance was quite some time ago... and it was unpopular enough to get what we currently have. Having said that, the obvious exploiting does need to be combated and this is the current direction. Unfortunately, there is nothing in place to aid those who have lots of stuff they need to move from one town to another, and it REALLY penalizes those who have small bank accounts or brand new characters. We'll see what happens.

11. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Until its time to move from one lot to a different one on the overland city and all your bank stuff is still in the original location.

Nhili Dragon and FrostII like this.
  12. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

The focus drain blocking movement is only if you are at 2x encumbrance or greater. Has no effect otherwise

13. DarkStarr

Water won't be an issue since we will now have water harvesting.

uhop, Oninoshiko, Budner and 12 others like this.
  14. golruul

golruul Avatar

Ah, yeah, never thought about that. Guess there's benefits in being poor and not having much stuff.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Some real life things brought in game are not enjoyable, wow crows eating my crops and now I have to travel much more on the ever slow world map. Make something more enjoyable we don't have to purchase, sorry for ranting.

16. DarkStarr

and we are considering not enforcing this in towns

uhop, Elwyn, Black Tortoise and 17 others like this.
  17. DarkStarr

and just spoke to Chris we are going to make the town change. Updating OP now

uhop, Elwyn, Black Tortoise and 15 others like this.
  18. DarkStarr

The crows is a joke about the scare crows (not an actual game system)

uhop, Elwyn, Themo Lock and 7 others like this.
  19. null2

null2 Avatar

rild, Pikegirl, Numa and 13 others like this.
  20. Selene

Selene Avatar

Instead of "two guys and a truck", it's "one dude and some coconuts"

Shade Baneborn, Elwyn, rild and 19 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.