Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Range spells/skill should have an out of range indicator.

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by brhanson2, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

Unless this is already in the settings and I missed it. Nothing worse then waiting for your spell/skill to pop, hit it and see your target is slightly out of range.

Could also make it configurable for those that do not want it.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  2. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I thought they were out of range when the little target didn't appear on them? As I get closer, it appears, and I figured that meant I was in range...

3. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

That is possible, ill watch closer.

4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Personally, I wish they would disable ranged spells when mobs are out of range. Nothing worse than casting some stuff while kiting away from a horde of mobs only to have it do nothing because I was two steps too fast.

5. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I don't agree, because, chaos is good. But what's even worse is you use an ability on your current foe chasing you and since you were running away it accidentally hit something else that was previously ignoring you, now you got more to worry about :D

6. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Oh the random target acquire I've complained about a massive amount. REALLY hate that design decision and that it still isn't fixed/noticeably better. But that definitely goes fully towards your chaos is good concept. 8^D

7. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

Just tested and this does not appear to be the case. Targeted mob, saw target icon on mob (he wasnt moving) cast searing ray.....was out of range.

8. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

In or out of range is determined by the weapon you are using, say my bow has a range of 30, if i am within that range the small target will appear red. Searing ray however has a shorter range then 30, so it's out of range. If you try casting a skill like fire arrow however you should be able to hit when the target turns red, since that skill has at least a range of 30 as well.

9. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Sooo... the target's (reticle symbol) appearance is triggered by the equipped weapon's range?

10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Interesting, but unfortunately, that is super unhelpful for any casters (as magic spells don't count as weapons and not all of us run with bow and arrow). Still would prefer a grey out on spell if enemy not in range. Good info though.

11. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

I've been thinking about this some more and perhaps it could be tied to highest range of a skill in your deck as well. I am a bow user so i haven't tested that out, since my bow range is higher then any magic skill i use. Worth a test perhaps?

But yes, the difference in the ranges of skills can cause some problems if you aren't carefull.

12. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

I second this, I use Polarms but when my arrow spell comes up reticle turns red if target is in range. Should be based on your longest range available attack. Still doesn't help if you have a short range spell available at the same time as a long range spell.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  13. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

As far as I can tell when you mouse over the spell the reticle will turn dark red if the target is in range, otherwise it is a lighter color of red. Doesn't really help if your not using the mouse to click your spells, but you can't expect it to read your mind anyway.

14. Fizzlebang

Fizzlebang Avatar

If this is the case, I'd like to see that changed. I'm quite color-blind and cannot distinguish between shades of red. In fact, most of the time, I can't even see the little reticle thing because of all the green surroundings in a lot of zones.

15. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I agree, skills that are out of range should look disabled and when clicked not work. We are not actually standing in a 3 dimensional world and cannot tell that we are in or not in range the UI is supposed to help us with these things since we cannot actually tell otherwise.

16. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The range skills/spells used to be disabled when out of range before until that meddling reticle view was introduced.

moko and Fizzlebang like this.
  17. brhanson2

brhanson2 Avatar

If that is the case they need to fix the reticle view. Im a dual wielding swordsman with 1 ranged spell for runners and to pull with. There should be no confusion on which ranged spell I will be using as I have only one. Ill sneak up on a wolf, target, see the red reticle and cast. Nada, out of range. Nothing gave any indication it was out of range.

Lets go back to the greyed out spell icon if out of range.

18. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Or better reticle color changes, if that is a real thing for in range/out of range. @Chris is that a thing?

19. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

If they rolled back to before reticle I would be happy again. The target revamp and reticle introduction was the worst change ever as it removed my play style in one fell swoop. Now if only I could get mouse movement to work the same regardless of combat and auto-attack mode I'd at least be somewhat happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.