Brewing: What to Expect and what else we want.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by ThurisazSheol, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'll add a bit more specification, but i beileve that was the tie in to the astrology system. :) thanks!

2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

In addition to the brewing system they implement coming up, I would love to see some sort of experimentation system that allows the players to create new recipes. Basically you would put together some ingredients in a brewing station, brew the batch, and then wait and see how it turns out. After a couple weeks or a month (real life time), you could check the batch you brewed and see the results.

For example it could give you a new recipe and a batch of that product at -15% potency (30% chance), or a batch at normal potency (15% chance), or a batch at +15% potency (1% chance) or the batch was a failure and everything is wasted (54% chance).

Or maybe instead of discovering new recipes, it would just give you a chance to improve on existing recipes. So imagine it had the same sort or chances as above, but you could get a different variation/strength of the brew, or it could add different buffs/debuffs to the existing recipe.

The more advanced a recipe is the more expensive it would cost to experiment on, so it could be a decent gold sink and also add a lot of depth to the brewing done in game.

3. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I can see Fermentation and Brewing being a higher tier skills of Cooking...

4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

there will be many lesser crafts, that aren't part of the basic 8, all realted somehow to another base craft.

it has been confirmed that it will be a subcraft off the cooking craft, already. how that happens is up for debate - either a set of higher tier skills as you say, or somehow an offshoot/evolution of cooking itself. personally, i'm thinking they're gonna start with what you said first, then let it evolve from there.

my wish however, is that you don't have to be a badass cook to be able to start brewing. i'd want to be able to start brewing at any time, just by doing it.

5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Yes I would imagine a continuation of the policy of making things available in tiers... for example jar of yeast culture would be tier 0 which anybody can make at level 1.

So for example a regular beer might have 50% chance at level 1, and 95% chance at level 20. While something a bit more specialized would need higher base levels.

Now the ability to add a special mark, name, or vintage shouldn't be available until one is a Master Brewer... I'm assuming Master level is 80 but not sure on that.

6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

just added the list at the bottom from @x_Selene_x 's post in the wishlist forums. does anyone else have suggestions? i can crosspost to both threads as needed. :)

7. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

This implementation excites me. Keen to watch this space and some great outside the box thinking there Thuris

8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Good News Everyone!

I just updated the OP with the following:

update: 12/31/2016 - @DarkStarr just announced the following in his Q1 2017 Schedule Update post, "RELEASE 40, March 30, 2017" section:

Time Lord, Adam Crow, Acred and 2 others like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I have to admit, I'm more interested in the brewing equipment as decoration than the brewing itself.

Time Lord, Acred and ThurisazSheol like this.
  10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

yes! using brewing stations, and aging barrels as deco is a great thing - i figured it would be part and parcel if they are going to be (as confirmed by richard, in OP) taking up real estate in the game. :)

Time Lord and Acred like this.
  11. keldonlighthand[BEAR]

keldonlighthand[BEAR] Avatar

Hey I have had an idea for brewing can read more here.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/beer-beer-beer-beer.85812/

But the gist of it is to have brewing location based as well as recipe based. The recipe denotes what type it is beer/wine/ale and so on. While the location becomes part of the name so Brittany wine, Beran's Reach Ale. Could even go down to taverns(guilds) like Fire Lotus Whiskey or Bear Tavern Blonde Beer. This would make brewing location based which I would think would help out the regional economy system.

Spoon, Jaanelle DeJure and Time Lord like this.
  12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Alas. Didn't make it.

As an aside, I find it interesting and a little worrying that the wording is "alcohol recipes". Sounds like it will just be cooking as opposed to actual brewing. :/

Stryker Sparhawk likes this.
  13. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Or a subtree of cooking. or Alchemy (because - distillation)

Bubonic likes this.
  14. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Either way, I hope not.

EDIT:
    After all, we are still waiting on the edelmann pledge beer brewing ability. If that translates into nothing more than unique recipes, it will be very disappointing. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.