Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Roving Encounter Ideas

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Idea #1: Guards that stop you to ask where you're going and what you're doing. Once you tell them, they explain that they're out patrolling the lands for Skeletons or Kobolds or Bandits...

If you complete this roving encounter you'll no longer be stopped by these guards on the overland map and instead you'll know this is a sign that the road is clear.

Idea #2: You see guards fighting something. If you get close enough you're drawn into the scene. It appears there's been an ambush of the guards you spoke to earlier! Which side do you fight on? You can kill any of the participants in the scene. The Oracle is watching! Once you have completed this encounter it may come up again.

Idea #3: A shadowy figure roams the forest. When you move close enough you are pulled into the scene and the shadowy figure reveals itself as one of the following, the beginning of an ambush, a traveling merchant, a quest giver, a lost child, a trickster, etc... This encounter is mysterious by design. You never know what you'll get next.

Rinaldi, mike11, Snazz and 12 others like this.
  2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Good ideas.

I think all 3 are good BTW.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  3. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

More ideas? Drocis & others?

4. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I like idea #2.

Pass on idea #1 because I don't want to go through a loading screen to find ... nothing.
    Pass on idea #3 because that defeats the purpose of why we now see things on the overland map in the first place. Knowing what you're getting into is important.

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The mysterious figure opens his coat and you can buy weapons!!
    [​IMG]

6. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

As I stated before, step one is easy, go buy Darklands, it's like 5 bucks on Steam, then shamelessly steal all the random encounters and as many as the fixed encounters and quests as you can without getting sued.

Spoon, lollie and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  7. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I may get a lot of hate for this, but truly, although I love the "Scenes" and don't want that aspect of the game to change, there could be an entire mini-game just on the Overland Map. I would spend a lot of my time on the OM if I could run around and kill/discover things. Scenes could be reserved for trips into towns (POT's, too) as well as for gathering and mob grinding and harder content, as well as pulling you in from certain types of RE's.

Yes, I can be shallow. :)

MrBlight likes this.
  8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Im yet to be excited and not annoyed by roving encounters. Hopig this is just their first stage.. they need some love.. and some difficulty.

Hermetic likes this.
  9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

What about traveling wagons that you can interact with on the overland map and they would tell you their destination before entering the scene. Then if you like the destination, you could pay a fee to get a ride to that location with just one loading screen.

And maybe in addition to that, if you paid the fee most of the time you would arrive at your location safely, but once in a while you'd be pulled into an ambush encounter and have to defend the wagon from bandits.

uhop and Lord Ravnos like this.
  10. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Anything to keep enhancing and improving the FUN factor on Overland map gets a +1 from me :-D

Adam Crow and uhop like this.
  11. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Personally, my idea is get rid of encounters altogether. Since the moment of their inception I have found them to be nothing but annoying and a waste of time. Either that or find some way to reward the player for doing them. The devs made us wait and wait for roving encounters pushing it back and pushing it back and now that we have it nothing has changed other than we can see them. They still have no reward that make them worth while. Other than removing it all together here is my suggestion:

Maybe each encounter if you clear all the enemies you get to open a chest that gives you a partial COTO, and after you collect, I dunno 6 or 8 of them you can use tungsten or something to craft a full COTO.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Great ideas.

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos I take it #1 is basically a mechanism to "opt out" of roving encounters for the remainder of your journey / that current "province" of the world? I think thats a decent idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.