Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Game imbalance is not incentive

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Umuri, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selene

Selene Avatar

But if I wear all pledge gear, no one loots my stuff in pvp zones either. So I lose what? a meaningless trinket (body part) with my name on it?

Crafting failures costs tons of gold worth of resources. That's more of a risk than pvping in its current state.

Spoon, Gaelis and Beli like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, that's a valid argument (to a point) and I responded to that already in this thread.

I agree with you, that needs fixed. But it's not a reason to stop PVP from getting an XP bonus because you can't be killed and looted crafting a table.

You can't make the case that crafting is more risk than pvp. You can only make the case that it's more reward than pvp.

3. Selene

Selene Avatar

But they're unlikely to "fix it". They've already declared pledge and store items safe from pvp.

4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

This will eventually find some balance once enough people are actually PVPing that the devs can balance PVP combat properly... and loot isn't the big carrot for PVP like a lot of people think it is. There's a risk/reward virtue component to PVP that many people don't even know about - and as I see it - that's the real deal. Depending on how a person PVPs, the Oracle may award a hit on your virtue or reward you for your courage - all depends on how you behave in battle and victory - and this will hopefully become even more complex as PVP matures (if given the chance).

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Berek I think you are doing a great job. We love this game
    I don't agree that xp bonus is the answer to anything. Why must we wander down this path? If we had bounties and boards that have wanted posters on them along with player requests for services, it could be anything from protection needed to resources needed, and if we had special pvp quests that give a meaning a purpose to doing any of it, well and many types of side quests, achievements, goals overall in the whole game. Then there would be reasons to pvp and to do everything. Not to say that the rewards are what pvp'ers exactly want, but I think it is just putting a band aid on the issue, and a lot of unnecessary time wasted on something that isn't the answer to a whole broken system and a game with a multitude of important things not added in at this point that tie it all together. We can add 'things' but what do they all mean?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

They said during a hangout that they "may eventually move to a skin system" that would allow them to balance this problem.

Instead of crafting an entire item you might craft (or buy) a skin that fit over the item. So now you don't lose the skin, just the item. You'd always have the base skin remaining. For example, if I made a suit of plate armor for myself but then bought a skin in the add-on store that allowed the armor to look all dark and mysterious. If I get killed in pvp and my armor is looted, I keep the skin to put on another set of armor. The skins wouldn't have bonus, they'd just look cool.

7. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

If players PvP then they are not doing PvE content and a 25% increase will not even be enough to keep them close to others who do it in their time in the world. Who knows what games/modes/ideas the devs have for PvP, but what i do know is if someone is doing this the majority of their time, taking ransom hits and not earning, 25% XP compensation will not even be close to what they will be losing. In UO, it had a cap, here it doesn't, so some form of equaliser is needed to encourage and incentivise pvp, else people who would give it a go...wont...due to being less competitive with skills in the long run.

8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Decorators get spotlights and community events with contests and prizes - crafters get expert stations and masterwork celebrity - bug hunters get uber exclusive rare decos and accolades - people that make videos get prizes... what can be done to incentivize PVP and multiplayer? There has to be something to get people excited so the devs have something to work with while they test and fix the mechanics that are broken. Just saying fix it - that doesn't work.

Maybe if they gave PVP multiplayer participants super rare exclusive custom weapons and armor (make them deco only) instead of XP... that would for sure get people involved and probably provide the necessary system stresses the devs need to actually balance PVP mechanics and combat.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
    Chatele, Gaelis and Bow Vale like this.
  9. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

True, but now you can kill the others waiting in line instead. . . .

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Keep in mind that people can just opt out from this 25% xp bonus and go on their business as usual as well. No players can attack them as long as the PVP flag isn't on.

Chatele likes this.
  11. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

Fair point, but I think the 25% bonus and potentially greater target list (other PVPrs) will cause a differentail between PVPrs and non-PVPrs given time. . . .

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

lol

13. cagle

cagle Avatar

PVP can be fun but it can also be unpleasant
    I bought UO when it hit the shelf.
    I was on Great Lakes and part of a large guild. A PK spent a month literally tracking me nightly. When I look back now I am surprised I didn't quit.
    The guild even united and attempted to ambush the pk ,but he had a prepatch bow.
    I have greatly enjoyed my investment in this game ,but to force me to play pvp after a HUGE INVESTMENT or to provide better stuff to pvp realms just does not work.
    You want PVP fine ,but do not put it in the game in a way that it impacts me or forces me to conform or go into regions where I have to watch my back.
    Don't make a scenario where I can get extra resources ,by enabling pvp keep the field consistent.
    Come up with a reward system for PVP that has its own unique rewards.
    The absolute BIGGEST AND WORST issue that came from Ultima Online was the broken PVP System
    Learn from the mistakes that it created. I invested in this because of Richard Garriott who I believe in and believe to be a great game designer.
    You have 7 pages here what does it take 100 pages or 200 pages?????
    Your mind set is so closed you wont even allow postings that work as surveys to vote on this system.
    Bottom line Children and Kids are PVP which equals = money ,because parents will blindly buy for their children.
    If I believed for one second this game would repeat the mistakes of PVP from Ultima Online I would have hesistated at such a contribution.

Vaiden Luro, Mykll, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do agree. I have advocated for factions that would allow pvp players to opt in for storyline pvp which would give meaning to it, not just mindless no purpose pvp. I have asked for guild wars that would set ROE (rules of engagement) for actual role play battles. Things that people could set flags for such as anywhere from no loot to full loot, what ever the guild war agrees with at the start of the war. The factions could have unique items (same stats but different looks) that could be acquired. I have been asking this for literally years. It sucks to be in a cone of silence though.

Vaiden Luro, Chatele and Elwyn like this.
  15. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Xp bonuses for pvp and multi-player in a game that was supposed to be single player friendly? If you're trying to incentivize pvp, I'm not sure this is the right approach. I know At this point I'm less incentivize to login at all. The game just got 25% harder for me to gain xp in relation to someone who has pvp enabled. I'm already struggling to maintain my xp pool and I only have two skills training. It sounds like p2w mechanics except with pvp (pvp2w). Hell, I'd favor pure p2w mechanics over this. :(

Vaiden Luro, Chatele, Elwyn and 3 others like this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I have stopped loggin in for some time now. No reason to really for me. Others might enjoy it though, but for me absolutely no reason.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Then why do so many PvPers treat it as such?

FrostII likes this.
  18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Its because pvp in general is broken in this game right now. Not because of the incentives or lack of incentives, its just broken.

19. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

No, it would not work this way, PVP enabled guy can be dead each 5 minutes and will get much less XP than you in the final.(And much less money :))

20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Well.. in an hours worth of crafting you can lose vastly more value worth of stuff than you could lose in an hours pvp unless you pvp with 10k silver ore on you for some reason heh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.