Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Increasing coto repair will ruin player economy

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by reuge, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reuge

reuge Avatar

Looking at the increasing numbers of coto required to repair gears in R36, I feel this can ruin players economy instead of helping.

As a players who spent hours mining and crafting the "perfect gear", subjecting myself to the cruel rng God. Just to see the gear not to survive the coto hunger. I do ask myself is there really a point to craft? I think I just go back to founder gears if that is really the case.

The only economy that increasing coto repair will help is the Portalarium economy.

Perhaps we can consider an rng for item to break when repairing instead? Increasing with each repair and modified by player repair skills as suggested by Bowen Bloodgood.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    Kaisa, Grimbone, Bow Vale and 3 others like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

If you can always repair your gear, there is no player economy either. You just buy once and never come back.

Increased CotO for repair won't kill the economy. it will make you think about what you do, rather than always using your best and never looking back. If you are out grinding XP, your mid-tier stuff is fine. If you are going to go dragon hunting, break out the good stuff.

Not everyone has a set of founder gear (tho Viking and Elven stuff has the same stats and benefit), but it really is horrible in comparison. This should help crafters a lot, especially if Masterworking and Enchantment is modified so mid-tier stuff actually sticks around.

Elwyn, rild, Sator Faryn and 7 others like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

4. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I agree that player made items should wear out and break, will give the crafters some more depth and sales. I do however beleive that malee weapons/armour should not wear quiet as fast as it is.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

One of the things I've always tried to achieve in every alternative idea I've presented.. was putting the longevity of the item in the hands of the players in some way. In the case of the link there, that longevity is controlled largely by repair skill and not letting durability drop too low.. so you must engage in regular maintenance to draw out an items lifespan.

rild, Solazur, Kaisa and 5 others like this.
  6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Upping the Coto cost is perfect. It is exactly the catalyst they need to bring down crafting material requirements.

7. lollie

lollie Avatar

This is an actual real dollar game tax on playing, can't believe the people here supporting this.

Repair item SIX times, it'll cost you THIRTY COTOS...lmao.

Chatele, Knightowld, Kaisa and 8 others like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

This is just the latest iteration of what I consider one of the worst design choices in the game since Kickstarter. Considering how I feel about some of the design features that's really saying something. Nevermind that the lack of breakage means the world will eventually be flooded with items that are too costly to repair.. I would really rather not rehash 3 year old arguments.. The cost of repairs should remain exclusively with the crafters. Ever increasing repair costs is just a horrible idea and always has been.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Chatele, Solazur, Kaisa and 6 others like this.
  9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Good thing I only use up to +6 copper chain suit then.. Easily replaceable. No need for COTOs.

Solazur and Leelu like this.
  10. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I see this as putting more power in the hands of crafters because there will be more demand for new items as folks can't just endlessly repair everything on the cheap. It will save Coto for the truly epic gear, or those with lots of disposable cash/ gold. It's only natural Port would try to recoup some of their income losses by upping the Coto requirements.

This design move weakens the Coto.

MrBlight likes this.
  11. lollie

lollie Avatar

More like nobody will buy this overpriced crafted gear knowing they're actually inflicting a real dollar tax on themselves, game empties out as frustrated players leave, and nobody wins.

Chatele, Night Fury, Kaisa and 5 others like this.
  12. reuge

reuge Avatar

If it is done to help players economy why not use increasing gold to repair? Why use an add on store item that has to be purchase with cash?

Chatele, Kaisa, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It artificially inflates the cost of repair that crafters then have to pass on to everyone else. Keeping track of it all also makes it more complicated and confusing than it needs to be. There are better ways to encourage players to retire / recycle their gear that are far more natural. Such as what is suggested in the link above.

14. reuge

reuge Avatar

The other side of the coins is it make epic crafted gears less desirable. Why would anyone want to by anything with less durability expensive to make and expensive to maintain?

Of course this would help the lower tier crafters. But this game lower end gear has low barrier of entry. Anyone can craft their own set. I feel this make 3mw/3enchant gears feel pointless.

Kaisa and lollie like this.
  15. reuge

reuge Avatar

C
    You can look under release 36 post draft thread for more details.

Theonetheonly likes this.
  16. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

A cost for sure but it does seem rather excessive indeed to me.

IF, it has that effect. At the moment with the majority of the choices i get when crafting not wanted by me, the time i do get a piece i like its cost me a fortune in time and materials. Items wear down way to fast still, especially weapons, armour not as bad apart from the leggings that always need repair.
    Likely the Bow i use wears down so fast as i have auto-attack on, but i can go down from my 80 or so secondary durability to something that really needs repair in less that 2 weeks.

I will go back to founder/rubbish items i find as i play if theses costs are so prohibitive

Kaisa and Leelu like this.
  17. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Portalarium have an incentive to encourage players to buy as much premium currency as possible. Why are you all surprised by this?

Kaisa likes this.
  18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

COTO should have nothing to do with combat or crafting.

Chatele, Acred, Solazur and 12 others like this.
  19. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

hey don't worry guys, after mining like 10000 ore nodes, you may find a gold coto o_O

Knightowld and Sator Faryn like this.
  20. reuge

reuge Avatar

I think it's fair for any company to be profit oriented. Sell whatever rare deco or skin, I have no qualms about buying. But I think a new mechanics shouldn't penalise active players and crafters and bog them down with money purchase.
    Thank goodness when I mine 300,000 nodes I can afford to pay the 30 coto repair once.

Atmosfear and GrayFog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.