Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Scaled COTO repair costs

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I know that some people were very vocal about this and now that it's been implemented, I believe that it will ultimately hurt the economy. People will not wear the good stuff if it's going to be damaged and cost more and more to repair. They certainly will not pay big bucks for the good stuff, so good luck trying to sell it.

Night Fury, Koldar, Budner and 2 others like this.
  2. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

IMO this will likely have a couple of effects in the skill building of the populace

Most will become semiskilled at crafting to make their own
    - this will temporarily up the bulk material prices which is a large portion of the current 'economy'

Fewer will become true master crafters.
    - there will be less long term demand for bulk material prices.

Short term boom, long term bust.

(Hope I'm wrong - please point out to me where I am!)

Night Fury likes this.
  3. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

But even the decent gear needs to go away at some point, the question is, how?
    If you can always repair with just 1 coto, you will keep your decent gear forever, which is just bad for the economy as well.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  4. lollie

lollie Avatar

Agree with OP - this is a fail and needs to be completely reverted.

Nobody will buy the crafted gear (too expensive) as it's just a fancy item with a real dollar tax.

Kaisa, Solazur and Budner like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you could use the new how-many-times-has-this-been-repaired counter to increase the skill needed to repair it, until finally there's no crafter in the game of high enough skill to do it.

6. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Not an bad idea at all, would make the repair skill finally useful as well.

Concord likes this.
  7. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Also as Drocis pointed out in another thread...there needs to be a tooltip or some information saying how many times this has been repaired else people will use for a bit and repair and when costs get to much put it on the market for sale.

Kaisa, Acred, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  8. lollie

lollie Avatar

If this goes to live at all in any form it'll be a huge mistake. Don't need this tooltip as we don't want this mechanic at all.

Kaisa, Budner and Net like this.
  9. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

Two answers here, IMO:

1) Why does it (decent gear) have to go away? For the Economy (tm)? Talk about unsatisfying... and a cop out.

2) Are mods going to remain static, unchanging over time? The lore explictily states that magic has changed over time - spells which used to work don't now. What doesn't seem to be clear is how LONG it takes spells (and by analogy alchemy, masterworking, enchanting, etc) to change. If this is a shortish period, maybe old nice enchants will go away and other new nice enchants will become available. If the Powers What Be don't mention what Their Plans are regarding recurrance or not of mods, that'll drive the upper end to get and keep high end gear - because when they need it later it may not be available to be made.

This also pushes master crafters to keep in the game, as things'll be changing underneath 'em

This also maintains a need for raw mats, either from the master crafters themselves, or from an economy?

Personally I find it satisfying as well in that magic is not logical. :) Sometimes it works, others it doesn't. Maybe moon phathese or unnamed-planet ends up being discovered as the focus of Str buffs - when it's up, they'r eposible, when at zenith they're pretty potent, but when it's not visible it's no longer an option....

Maybe it's the direction you've set your crafter station up at. Maybe crafter stations pointing NNE are the best for Str buffs?

Maybe it's the latitude or longitude of the crafter station's positioning? Yew generates different buff possibilities than Mud, than Harvest, than Brittany?

Ideally, IMO, it's all these AND MORE. :) Yes, master crafter would get much more frustrating. And?

(edited for clarity. I r dumm.)

Concord likes this.
  10. lollie

lollie Avatar

[​IMG]

Do not want.

11. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

The implementation was long overdue.
    It would be better if items cant be repaired at all, but i can live with the Cotos and scaled costs.
    I have never used a Coto to repair an item so far.

12. lollie

lollie Avatar

Like hell it is...this is a real dollar tax and it's pretty damn high. Was "acceptable" at one COTO for a full repair but this is taking the piss.

This must be reverted and cannot go to live in any form.

Budner likes this.
  13. Womby

Womby Avatar

The changes being tried here provide a strong incentive for every player to craft their own gear, since that is the most cost effective solution to constant replacement.
    In my case I already make my own weapons and armour using iron or copper (the benefit of using more exotic materials is not worth the cost - I can make more straight iron or copper ingots and sell the nickel, etc.).
    Having double the number of ingots gives me double the number of crit pieces for a given amount of time spent mining. That helps counter the losses through enchantment and masterwork, which is where the real benefits lie.
    I do not use COTOs for repair.

14. reuge

reuge Avatar

I would think the effect would be to drive players towards DIY disposable gears. No point crafting the exceptional multiple enchant/master works gears. Repair till durability kicks in, throw away craft again. Does this help player economy? This only feels like a slap in the face for high level crafter.

Kaisa, Solazur, Womby and 1 other person like this.
  15. Womby

Womby Avatar

The design of SotA allows players to become self-sufficient. Personally I love self-sufficiency - it suits my play style. Unfortunately though, self-sufficiency is the enemy of a robust economy. It is too late to change that, however. Implementing policies (constant replacement of gear, for example) that make self-sufficiency economically attractive only exacerbates the problem. Currently the optimal solution to gear replacement is to do it yourself. If gear replacement was infrequent, most players probably wouldn't bother to do that. If you make gear replacement frequent, then people will start looking for alternatives to purchasing it, and you will end up with a smaller number of customers. Yes, they will visit more frequently, but there will be fewer of them, and they will not be happy.

It is a difficult problem to find the right balance, but perhaps there should be some kind of distinct advantage to purchasing from a dedicated crafter that you don't get if you make it yourself. Maybe if the "crafted by" name is different from the name of the character using the item, you get a small bonus of some kind. Yes, there are ways around that, but I think it might help.

Kaisa and Leelu like this.
  16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Most glaring pay to win feature so far. Ick.

Kaisa, lollie and Leelu like this.
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

Let's be charitable and assume that the intent is for people to buy replacements rather than use COTOs. I mean really, who's going to spend 3 COTOs on a second repair that won't last?
    (Of course what will really happen is that people will make their own replacements. I already I do.)

18. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

There has already been too much importance placed on maintaining gear in this game.

People have gone over 15 years without having a popular game that isn't gear based.

In game crafter repair with harvested materials and eventually always buying new items to replace the old is always how this game should have been, as a "spiritual successor" to a certain game.

There is only a "real dollar tax" if you want to keep certain gear longer.

Wrap your head around the fact that gear needs to die. All of it.

The only step left is to lower material requirements. I will quote myself in several months when this finally happens. Because it will.

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  19. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

This is a great idea. Crafters will finally be able to sell some replacement gear. Implementation of scaled repair costs is something we should have had all along.

x_Selene_x likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sure, but only the basic gear. I don't see anyone paying a lot of gold for anything that will wear out.

Kaisa and lollie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.