Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Scaled COTO repair costs

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt

Curt Avatar

Should not repair skill influence this somewhat?

2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Bringing down prices, making gold more valuable.

Now if only those pesky crafting materials followed suit...

Kaisa likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It will eventually end up in the loot tables anyway.. from all those who don't want to display or store their now useless gear. Selling it to an NPC will still be more profitable than salvage.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I have been very vocal about this concept since Kickstarter.. but now that COTOs have been thrown into the mix this is a valid point. People wouldn't be buying new power.. but they could pay cash to extend their existing power rather than risk having to settle for something less.

Bow Vale, Budner, Kaisa and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Don't assume that because you are willing to be self sufficient.. that everyone else is also. Crafting takes a lot of time and energy.. it takes a certain type of player to enjoy any crafting system. Many just have no interest.. If crafting were more convenient.. and by that I mean fast and easy.. which SotA crafting from start to finish is not.. then sure.. more people would suffer through it rather than take the time to raise the money doing what they're already doing anyway.

It doesn't matter what the intent is.. the option is there.. and as little sense as it may make to use why people would spend cast on a repair.. there are people like that.

I remember the days of Meridian 59.. compared to UO and games that followed.. M59 wasn't all that great.. and yet years after UO launched there were people paying $50 a month still playing M59. And I've known people who have had like.. 10 accounts in UO.. how ridiculous is that to spend that much money a month on ANY game? Make no mistake.. there are people out there willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on digital candy. Add-on store case in point.

Budner, Kaisa and Solazur like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There are many other ways to achieve the same goals without the pitfalls. This is a horrible idea.

Budner, Kaisa and Solazur like this.
  7. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

So all those COTO I purchased because they would repair the gear I spend weeks earning and crafting no longer do that which they were advertised to do when I purchased them. Lame. Very. @DarkStarr very disappointed rules are being changed after money exchanged. A poor precedent to set, it will make players very reluctant to buy things. I hope this is reconsidered.

Budner, Kaisa, Aldo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Chris did say a long time ago when this was being discussed previously (before COTOs) that if the system wasn't fun they'd change it. At least as I remember it we were talking increasing repair costs at the time.

This is what I would do.. (or at least the latest iteration of the many alternatives I've suggested in the past)..

Repairs and Repair Cost

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well and we should get coto drops even if rare to avoid the pay to win stigma of this. I do understand cotos and cots for in-game items and some want to buy and some don't, it is perhaps, and I say perhaps lightly since that is debatable, necessary evil. If systems in place in this game was more than just the punishment getting added in by evil Chris to try to make them fun, then we would have a game.

Give us more things to do in this game, side quests, crafting quests, town sieges that effect all towns in the game randomly with a wave of creature invasions and for pvp invastions in those pvp towns waves of pvp opportunity with announcements flashed up on our screen and the catapult by the town. It gives an opportunity to see the world and creates am opportunity for the world coming together for a cause. Yay bring it on. So much of this is missing from this game, it is grindsville, and time to rally for fun. *Majoria grabs a picket poster and parades down the streets*. ***We Want Fun, We Want Fun***

Kaisa, Solazur and lollie like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't know how many COTOs other people get.. but I've only ever found 1 so far.

11. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Never found any I am close to level 80 ....

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Same. I got one while mining in Etceter.

13. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I would be ok if Port said all COTO purchased or found heretofore will repair under new rules. But I think it improper to change how things we purchased while the game is persistent work. Especially to lower the impact/value. I would hope to get what I paid for, viz., that each COTO would repair completely one item. Change how new COTO work I have no issue (note: I will not buy any). But I paid for an item said to repair my crafted items, one COTO per item no matter how damaged or how many times repaired. Changing that now is unfair and makes me not trust what I am told when I pay money. I hope this changes. I believe in this game and company, therefore I believe they will revise this change to at least what I proposed.

Solazur, Womby and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think if enough speak out it will change. I honestly don't think Portalarium is intentionally setting out to do the wrong thing.. but they have certain goals they want to maintain which are at the heart of this increasing repair cost idea.

Item history is a fun idea and they're trying to ensure that items last long enough for this to be meaningful. They also want people to feel secure in using their best stuff without the fear of items going *poof* from breakage.. This thinking has been around since kickstarter and COTOs weren't around then.

I agree with your point. The issue just came around I think unintentionally as one thing led to another. I don't think they did a very good job of thinking this one through.

15. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I understand why this is being done, but I'm against it like most in this thread.

I paid a really really large sum of gold for my armor, and it took me over 2 months and basically bribery to find someone who would make it(and had people saying they would only do it for real money). Thats not an experience I want to go through on any kind of regular basis.

The only way it works is if crafted armor is very cheap and plentiful, two things its not for "good" gear.

lollie, Kaisa and Budner like this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I occasionally think how nice it would be to meet a good crafter in-game and develop a good relationship and have them by my go-to person etc etc.. It is both sad and telling that there are those who now say they will only do it for real money.

lollie and Kaisa like this.
  17. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I've spent something in the neighborhood of 500k gold with one crafter.

all of it through their vendor, though the way we handled the armor ultimately was face to face.

And yes the "I' will only do this for papal" really happened.

lollie likes this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oh I don't doubt you.. I just think it's disappointing.

19. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

My first instinct was to put the person on permanent ignore, but there is already established a level of acceptance of exchanging real money for things in this game on the forums.

20. lollie

lollie Avatar

And now they want us to exchange real money for gear repairs. Not sure we've been beaten down enough for this yet...maybe the devs need to wait a few years till most normal people have left then try to scrape the last money out of the barrel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.