Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Coup De Grace extra damage not working.

Discussion in 'Release 35 Bug Forum' started by Jefe, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

11/13/2016 6:37 AM
    Title: Coup De Grace extra damage not working.
    Reproduction Rate: Easy
    Blocker? No
    Details: The 500% extra damage for Coup De Grace on enemies below 20% health is not working. I hit a wizard that was below the 20% mark and landed a normal hit for 18 damage with Coup De Grace as reported by my combat log. I have been unsure if the up to 250+ damage in the tool tip is with the x5 multiplier or not. For extra trivial details, my coup de grace is 83, bladed combat 112, blade speed 68, vital points 89, and blade mastery 68.
    Steps to Reproduce: Fight an enemy. Get them below 20% health. Use Coup De Grace on them. Be underwhelmed.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (4) System RAM: 8192
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 GPU RAM: 1989
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.502.Date.11.08.16
    Area: RandomEncounter_Plains02/HumanBandits_Tier5
    Area Display Name: Plains Encounter
    Loc: (23.1, 32.8, -15.4)

2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

this skill does not always hit for huge damage, it still sometimes deals very low damage. have you tried this a decent number of times?

Alexander likes this.
  3. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Agree it doesn't do huge damage all of the time. That being said, with the sword and board config I am running it lists 14-192 with a x5 damage bonus for enemies under 20% health. I hit a wizard with it who has 50/348 health I.E. 15% left and only do 18 damage. 4 above the minimum for a regular strike. That tells me something is broken. Additionally yes, I have the skill at 83 through pure combat usage. So yes, I have used it hundreds of times prior to finally reporting this.

lollie likes this.
  4. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It is just that we have been hitting stuff for 300+ damage with it so i am trying to figure out what would be causing it to not work for you.

Alexander likes this.
  5. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

To add more detail based on the summary of my usage of this skill. Often times, when you hit an opponent with this skill and they are above the 20% mark you will do 0 damage. Well below the list price. Tops I have done is around 550 on a critical on an opponent below 20%. Given that most opponents have 100 or less hp at that time, then the extra 450 damage is useless.

lollie likes this.
  6. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Agree, I have hit stuff for over 500 on a critical. That being said. Is it 500 or 2500 I should be doing in that case. Was it 18 or should it have been 18x5 = 90? The key factor being the below 20% health giving an x5 multiplier.

It would be nice if you could copy/paste from the chat window. That way I could just post the hit wizard for 18 damage with coup de grace as a reinforcement point.

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

your combat log is saved to your pc, usually at c:/Users/Owner/AppData/Roaming/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/ChatLogs. Your combat logs record to it for cut pasting. And nothing should be hitting any target for 2500, even 500 is a massive hit.

8. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

So on the 500 versus 2500, in that case it doesn't matter. Either case brings the majority of enemies (that have 100 hp or less) well below 0. Which that is the only thing that matters. Coup de Grace is supposed to be a finishing move. Which is why I would assume it has a high damage value. I.E. your opponent is near death and it is supposed to be a single strike to end the fight.

If it scored 2500 when an enemy was at full health then yes it would be broken.

[11/13/2016 6:37:13 AM] Redacted attacks Wizard and hits, dealing 18 points of damage from Coup De Grace.
    [11/13/2016 6:37:13 AM] Redacted attacks Wizard and hits, dealing 14 points of critical damage.
    [11/13/2016 6:37:14 AM] Redacted attacks Wizard and hits, dealing 26 points of damage from Double Slash.
    [11/13/2016 6:37:14 AM] Redacted attacks Wizard and hits, dealing 15 points of damage from Double Slash.
    [11/13/2016 6:37:14 AM] Wizard has been slain by Redacted's Double Slash!
    [11/13/2016 6:37:40 AM] The following has been added to your system clipboard for convenience in pasting.
    [11/13/2016 6:37:40 AM] Please check the Shroud of the Avatar bug forum to see if your bug has already been posted,

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  9. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

This is working as designed. Reminder, the damage shown will never be more than its remaining hit points. So if you hit something for 500 and it had 50 left, it will show the hit was for 50. Might have to fight some tier 10 stuff to see what it is actually capable of.

Alexander and Themo Lock like this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I use this skill often, especially for the final kill. And as you said, it doesn't always do huge damage. Basically a roll of the dice. More often than not, it does do decent damage. To me, this appears to be working as it should.

Themo Lock likes this.
  11. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Also Jefe, the min damage listed on a skill does not represent the min damage you will actually hit your target for. There is damage mitigation math to get past.

12. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Please note that the wizard required 3 extra strikes to die when below 20% since the coup de grace hit for only 18. If this is works as intended then I need to unslot coup de grace.

lollie likes this.
  13. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

You know what. I am done with this discussion. I am aware that armor is present. I am aware that Coup de Grace is a useless skill unless the monster is near death, and evidently it sometimes remains useless even if the monster is near death.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It is mainly useful for boss fights. In any case, not a bug but thanks for reporting.

15. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Thanks for missing my point.

16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

If you have one, it would be better to post it in the feedback section rather than sending the bug team alerts by posting here.

17. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

that's never been true that i've seen. maybe it was supposed to be, but it wasn't. i just hit a patriarch with 153 points left for 222 with coup de grace in R35.

lollie likes this.
  18. lollie

lollie Avatar

That is incorrect.

19. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Based on what I have seen, this is not correct. I always see damage numbers for this attack pop up that are much greater than the HP that the creature has remaining. I haven't noticed it being reported differently in the combat log but I haven't really been looking closely.

20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It used to be true, but hasn't been for some time XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.