Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Scaled COTO repair costs

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Barugon, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What I don't understand is why they aren't involving repair skill level instead of COTOs.. The concept of increasing repair costs was always the plan since Kickstarter. From the design standpoint, COTOs are a way to regulate repairs by making COTOs themselves rare. but COTOs are just making a bad idea that much worse by adding pay to win aspects.

Kaisa and lollie like this.
  2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

They are intentionally lowering the value of COTOs in the repair process, making it more likely people will only buy them to repair the first one or two times. Making the price that much higher to repair with COTOs its intentional. They will have to bolster the in-game repair and crafting capabilities to compensate.

If just taken at face value, this change appears to be a money grab, which is why they should have had all the other changes I'm predicting in place.

But, what this does, immediately, is lower the desire for COTOs, therefor limiting their (ports) income. They have to know most people aren't going to drop $25 just to repair one item. The rest (material requirements and repair functionality) they have more time to address.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm not focused on extremes.. I'm focused on the long term ramifications of never removing player crafted items from the game and the ridiculous artificial nature of increasing repair costs.

Just where do think all of this gear that's too expensive to repair and nobody wants is going to go? Are players going to simply salvage it? Well we can only hope.. or are they going to try to get a faster, more profitable solution by selling to NPCs and suddenly you're finding what amounts to +15 scrap metal off your next boss fight. You'll think.. wow cool.. a +15 shield.. oh wait.. it's durability is really low and it's already been repaired 5 times.. So you can't use it.. you can't repair it.. you're not a crafter so don't want to go through the trouble of salvage.. so you go sell it to an NPC as a piece of throw away junk..

As more and more gear gets thrown away because of high repair costs.. more and more will enter the loot tables. People will either use them up.. and throw them away again.. not buying from crafters.. or just get rid of them.

The longer it drags on.. the worse it's going to get until finally the devs will be forced to actually remove the items from the system somehow.

Remember.. all loot is ultimately supposed to be player crafted.

lollie likes this.
  4. lollie

lollie Avatar

The repair cost was "acceptable" at one COTO per repair, flat rate. Adding the scaling is just offensive.

They need to make repair costs part of the ingame economy, and scale downwards in terms of material costs with greater craft level/craft repair level.

Acred likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Increasing repair costs, whether COTOs or gold, will kill the high-end gear market. I liked it as it was because you could maintain your high end gear, which made the good stuff desirable. Nobody was going to waste COTOs on low-end gear.

Acred and lollie like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No.. they're increasing demand.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not defending the current strategy but there was always going to be a need for all gear to be removed from the system at some point. It's both unrealistic and bad for the economy if everything lasts forever. BUT.. with proper care it should be possible for stuff to last a good long while. The trick is finding the balance.

8. lollie

lollie Avatar

They're trying to increase demand for COTOs, but all they're really doing is making everyone dislike the blatant cash grab, so instead of more people buying COTOs they'll have less people buying COTOs - bar the types who don't mind turning their real dollars into zero value (as in burning dollars by repairing equipment that actually loses value with each repair...items that very few people would spend gold on buying at a later date due to increasing real dollar repair cost).

What people will end up doing is using pledge gear, except for those guys as above who like to totally throw their money away.

Again this means most people won't be using decent gear unless they're able to spend lots of real dollars maintaining it...a p2w mechanic.

This is a real dollar tax on playing.

Kaisa likes this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

*I* am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt on the cash grab. I really don't think that is the intent so much as an unfortunate side effect. As I've been saying.. the basic idea they're working off of has been their thinking since kickstarter.. long before COTOs came about or even any real design regarding durability that we're aware of. This is just the progression of one idea to the next over time and trying to stick firmly to their initial design goals. Not that intent or lack thereof changes the outcome any.

10. lollie

lollie Avatar

I find it very hard to believe they looked at THIRTY COTOs for the sixth repair without counting their expected money gleefully.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The ultimate idea is basically "forcing" people to retire gear by making it too expensive to repair. That was always the intent since KS. If this was a real money grab the increase would be slower to stretch it out as long as possible. Not ramp it up.

Solstar likes this.
  12. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I just don't see that as a likely outcome. Port has already stated that the gear drops will be comensurate with difficulty. +15 gear won't dropping at the rates you suggest.

13. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

That's not what prohibitive price increases do. That lowers demand considerably.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It was just an example.. ALL drops are supposed to ultimately be player crafted.. that won't be exclusive to +15 items.. it will cover the entire spectrum.. the problem I'm trying to illustrate is that people aren't going to simply 'retire' their old stuff and display it on the wall. A lot of the stuff is going to end up as loot.. that is too expensive to repair.. and the longer it drags on.. the bigger a problem it's going to be.

15. lollie

lollie Avatar

If they wanted to do that they could achieve it using game resources instead of REAL MONEY (COTOs).

16. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Yes, but I don't think they are going to use a 1 for 1 (sell to vendor/add to table) loot drop table. I think most of that stuff will go away forever.

17. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

That's exactly what I'm saying they are planning to do.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

True.. but one of those bad ideas was about how to allow people to repair max durability in the first place. If I recall correctly that's the first function COTOs served in-game. There needed to be a way to do that.. (and incidentally I was opposed to that idea too.. just saying)..

My personal take is they didn't really look beyond the next step.

Solazur likes this.
  19. lollie

lollie Avatar

They introduced COTOs as the repair currency, then increased it on a scale (more repairs = more COTO cost). If they wanted us to use ingame resources then they should code that in instead of coding in more COTOs as the repair currency.

How you figured this was their real intent I don't know...but it needs to be and that's what I'm saying.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How they intend to deal with that is a subject they've never addressed and in this case.. ANY of those items in the loot tables is bad. There is no value in finding old gear if it's too expensive to repair from the start. It might as well be a rusty dagger for all the good it'll do the people who find it.

Kaisa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.