Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Increasing coto repair will ruin player economy

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by reuge, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

ok, question, how often do you actually have to repair your gear?
    I've been using the same gear for several months now and my armor pieces haven't even needed a regular repair kit yet, nevemind a coto. My weapon goes down a bit fast and is almost at the point where i need to use my first repair kit on it.

Now, maybe i'm not the best example because I don't grind as much as some.

So, my guildmates, some of whom are on every single day for several hours per day and spend that time mostly farming and grinding... they have not had to use any cotos on their gear yet either in the last 2 months at least, and have used varying amounts of regular repair kits.

So for 1) How often do you actually have to repair your gear?

and 2) If your gear is acting the same as the gear in my guild, i.e. taking several months to even need a single repair... then how long does it take you to farm materials for a new piece??

As I mentioned above, I am absolutely baffled by anyone who would be against this system because the timelines are so long that it's not going to bother most people

However, maybe me and my guild mates are just ridiculously lucky or hell, maybe we are bugged and our armor doesnt take damage as fast as others, i dont know.

2. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I personally hate the idea of using coto's to repair gear in the first place and I would have much preferred the system worked this way as you described. Leave coto's for the special potions and taxes, thats plenty of use for them IMO

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I tend to agree. I can see how the team sees this as a first order action/reaction design to drive more crafting. Its logical enough. However, there are second and third order ramifications. As an example, I like to collect a variety of armor and weapons to have fun with in different circumstances. If I am forced to deal with decay at too high of a frequency, I'm going to be less likely to do that and just use the most basic equipment that I can get by with (and care less about losing) in a day to day situation. Or maybe I will change my deck to rely on more magic and less weapons to slow down wear and tear on weapons.

I'd rather see some more creative thinking on this topic than simple repair. For example, how about a system that, instead of punishing very basic weapon use, provides an interface for special combos of criticals that while producing cooler, better results in battle, also results in an increased chance in the weapon breaking. That would be a reward-risk system. As is, its weapon wear is all downside to the combatant. Perhaps other ideas could be brainstormed for armor.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. lollie

lollie Avatar

No what you're doing is supporting this current iteration of the idea, and that does not provoke change.

Being hopeful is not useful here. You need to be against this idea, as you don't want to use COTOs for repair either as you stated. But supporting this idea in its current form will not get the game where you want it to be. They'll sit there thinking people actually want this, when it's people not wanting this at all but psychically predicting Port is going to do everything they secretly want them to do, like Port knows what you're thinking when you don't write it down.

Womby and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I just spent 15 minutes looking for a COTO appropriate protest meme but couldn't find one that I liked. So I just picked this one... :D

[​IMG]

6. lollie

lollie Avatar

You mean YOU don't know what you're yelling about, the rest of us here certainly do know.

7. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

what?

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

So it seems what you guys are going for isn't about increasing COTO repair will ruin player economy, but rather that you guys don't want COTO involve in the repair at all.

This all traced back to a few months back when a good portion of players (not me) found the need for the gear to not last forever, so that the crafters can keep selling their gears.

So this is where we end up with right now.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No it is.. cause it will.. but then so will every increasing repair costs in general. That we don't want COTOs involved at all is also true.

This doesn't just go back months.. it goes back years.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and lollie like this.
  10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

So if people can infinitely repair the gear over and over again, the economy will be "saved"?

What would the point of even try to craft any more gears once everyone has the godly gear set they want?

Also how could this goes back years when the degradable max durability and COTO were just introduced sometimes this year?

11. lollie

lollie Avatar

For a start most other games deal with it by increasing difficulty through new areas or encounters, say introducing new mechanics that require differing kinds of set items (set items with unique set bonuses is something we don't have btw). Then people have to get new items to deal with these new mechanics.

In this game we could at least make it so low level crafters with low repair skills find it very hard and expensive in terms of ingame resources to repair their items, and those items repaired by low level crafters lose durability each time meaning low level crafters/people who don't craft would always need to either buy new gear or get a high level crafter to repair their gear for them.

High level crafters with high level repairs become more and more efficient at repair, using less resources and possibly losing no durability on repair.

This way gear wears out, ingame resources only are used, demand for resources increases, and high level crafters have a market to sell quality gear as it can still be used enough to be worth purchasing, and people also find high level crafters useful to see for their own repairs.

Lose the COTOs, and certainly lose the #repair scaling system.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Don't twist words. If you've been paying attention to what I've been saying at all.. or anyone else.. then you know that's not what's being said at all.

As I have said MANY times in both threads discussing the issue already.. the idea of ever increasing repair costs began during Kickstarter.. some 3 1/2 years ago.

13. Evilgamer

Evilgamer Avatar

I'm not in favor of anything that requires me to find someone online to do a repair or drop off gear at their vendor and hope they log in before I need it again. I would much more favor crafters producing the repair materials/kits with various attributes that get better the harder/costlier they are to make.

If you make repair a skill that has to be learned, I'm probably going to just learn the skill. If you make it less annoying for me to pay another player for a repair kit I'm going to do that.

14. lollie

lollie Avatar

Yeah whatever works, fancy repair kits made by high level crafters sounds good. Saves the drama of trusting some guy to fix your stuff without running off too.

15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Let's say that this is a great idea and the dev went ahead spent months making this change. What's gonna end up happening is this.

Grand Master Buddner's Gear Repair Service

Ladies: Low level - $1, high level $5, free if you provide mats
    Gentlemen: Low level - $5, high level $10, $1 if you provide mats
    Some Arsehats: Low level -$30, high level $50, $10 if you provide mats

So we're back to square one again. Those who have time and resources will repair the gear themselves. Those who don't have time and resources, but have money will pay others to repair for them. Those who neither have time or resource will complain that the game is too hard.

16. lollie

lollie Avatar

As above, it was modified to creating repair kits with various levels of efficacy depending on crafter level.

So those things would be sold ingame and bought with gold.

Here I'll lay it out on the one handy page to avoid confusion:

In this game we could at least make it so low level crafters with low repair skills find it very hard and expensive in terms of ingame resources to repair their items, and those items repaired by low level crafters lose durability each time meaning low level crafters/people who don't craft would always need to either buy new gear or get a high level crafter to sell them a quality repair kit.

High level crafters with high level repairs become more and more efficient and skilled at making quality repair kits, with some of these kits causing no durability loss on repair.

This way gear wears out, ingame resources only are used, demand for resources increases, and high level crafters have a market to sell quality gear as it can still be used enough to be worth purchasing, and people also find high level crafters useful to see for their own repairs.​

17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Keep in mind that COTO can also be obtained in-game whether from mobs loot or harvest nodes (just very low drop rate right now) or buy from other players in-game. I have about 60 COTOs that I bought with in-game gold before the price hikes due to new usages.

The system you mention is essentially the more complex version of what COTO already does. If the resource is too cheap, the gears will last forever. Hence no one will need to buy new gears. If the resource for repair is too expensive, people will either pool with the guy or just buy the high quality with real money anyway. So the only thing we will get out of this is the better immersion than COTO unless I'm missing something here?

18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Demand for resources will hopefully cause prices to go down, way way down - basic mats are so overpriced right now it's insane... and a large part of the reason why everyone wears store/pledge gear. Who wants to pay out of pocket to maintain mediocre gear... no one... that's who. One thing about the COTO being used to repair max durability is that it's tied to magic... yeah, it's a premium currency and it's been sold as the way to repair max durability since before persistence... I don't see that mechanic going away without retiring the COTO completely.

I do see buyers leaning on crafters to lower their prices though now that COTOs are supposed to scale with repairs. That should help drive down the prices of mats and goods overall.

19. lollie

lollie Avatar

I said the low level crafters and non-crafters won't be able to fully repair their gear, they won't be able to make high quality repair kits, and for them quantities resources used to repair are high...with not all high quality repair kits being able to exact a full repair anyway.

So nope it's nothing like the current system on live and nothing like the proposed system on QA.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And how many people I wonder will want to sell COTOs.. since they've gone in I've only ever found 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.