Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Increasing coto repair will ruin player economy

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by reuge, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lollie

lollie Avatar

COTOs hardly ever drop (I've never had a COTO drop) so let's stop talking about them like they're found in game. We have already discarded COTO involvement in repairs anyway, COTOs need to be off the table.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

And taxes.

3. lollie

lollie Avatar

Houses are fluff, gear is power and cannot be part of a real money system like COTOs.

Lord Barugon, Womby, Bow Vale and 2 others like this.
  4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

But nothing stop a person to pass the gear to the high level crafter to repair the gear on their behalf, right?

Chris planned on increase the drop rates once the COTO in circulation started to run low. Right now it's been the case of speculators just swapping hands. As we all know how all speculators in this game end up, they will eventually have to sell to cut loss and the price will eventually be where it should be.

5. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Houses are power too - ever tried to store 40,000 items in a bank on the wrong side of the map? spoiler alert: it's not fun. As I see it taxes are bigger problem where COTOs are concerned... but that's just me... I think sometimes I'm the only person with taxable deeds in game.

Just curious: how many COTOs have you used to repair gear? I tried it out once and used a single COTO to bring a bow back to max dur... basically just to see the animation - it was a let down. I doubt many people have used COTOs to repair gear beyond some gameplay discovery like what I did.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

40k items of décor or anything else sitting in storage doesn't help you kill anything.

7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

There are some concerns over certain equipment especially weapon such as long bow where the durability rate can go down very quickly, but that should be a separate issue since not all items have crazy fast durability loss.

8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

That's my weapon of choice - and after using a single COTO to repair one, I decided it would be easier just to gather and craft my own longbows going forward. I think the only way I'll be using COTOs to repair anything in the future is once the mechanic for weapon achievements comes online - I may want to keep some of the more sentimental pieces in rotation at that point.

9. lollie

lollie Avatar

Not what the above idea is saying...either low level crafters/non crafters can try to repair their own gear getting durability hits OR have them buy the high quality repair kits, for game gold.

Nothing stops people giving you a whole new set of armour too, that is just how games have always worked, so the point you raised isn't important.

The high level crafter will still have had to train his skills and go through loads of mats to produce any high quality repair kits that don't ding durability. Having that high level crafter repair things for you will still produce durability hits, just less than you doing it yourself. Best way to repair gear would be to buy high quality repair kits that don't ding durability, which will be difficult to make and only made by high level crafters (at some great expense in time/gold).

10. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

No, but it sure helps me craft weapons and armor ;) ergo - kill stuff.

11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Nothing would stop the high level guy loaded up with resources to sell these repair tool kits with real money, would it? So we would end up the more complex version of what COTO already does.
    Eventually, people will be able to obtain enough resources that the high grade tool kits will be more abundance and we will run into the situation where gears can potentially last forever and people would have no need to buy a new set.

I mean what problem are we trying to solve here? Do we just want a way to repair gear without using COTO, but still come down to using infinite obtainable resources? or do we want the gear to not last forever, so the crafters can sell more gears?

Duke Avery likes this.
  12. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

If a crafter could make repair kits that restored max durability like a COTO, that would be cool... and it could serve as an alternative to COTO repair. But I like the convenience of being able to snag a COTO and repair something on the fly - even though I'm not doing that at present, I can appreciate the flexibility of the system. I can also see a big guild having a goto crafter that makes these things... it could potentially save a large guild a ton of real money if they could circumvent the need to use add-on store COTO.

13. lollie

lollie Avatar

Nothing already stops anyone buying resources or anything else they want with real money.

The point is to remove direct use of real money transactions (like using COTOs) from any gear-related process (like repairs).

...while still keeping quality gear attractive to players so they buy it without worrying that it won't last long. It has to have the appearance of staying viable for a good amount of time, and it has to have the appearance of being a purely ingame activity to make, buy, sell, and repair gear.

This keeps the economy flowing, people will be able to sell their quality gear, and high level crafters and their items will be in demand. The scaling COTO system will do the exact opposite.

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

People can still use real money transaction to buy the high-end repair kit to keep their same uber gear forever, so it wouldn't solve the problem with crafters unable to sell new set of gears once everything is saturate.

Well.. but this concept, however, may make the perception of gear repair where people just can obtain resources in-game more appealing than using COTO as a simplified resource (despite the fact that people can also obtain COTO exclusively in-game as well).

Anyway, I get where you are going with.

15. lollie

lollie Avatar

Nothing will solve the problem of people being able to buy loads of things in this game with real money :3

However it solves the problem of good quality gear being in demand still, and solves the problem of gear not wearing away (not all people will fully repair their gear, many will use their gear up to the point they need to buy a new set after having done many cheap repairs on it, wearing durability down) which in turn solves the problem of new gear of all qualities not being bought constantly - so the market for gear and materials will still be working.

Everything will be done with ingame resources.

The scaling COTO system kills any desire for using quality gear, and this kills the economy. As well as being blatantly p2w with people being able to keep their gear only if they use lots of real money = COTOs.

16. reuge

reuge Avatar

But if it's is player driven economy, players created resources will compete for business. And market equilibrium will decide the best in game gold price for the service and products. Don't we all love free market and competition as a consumer? Would you like your government to decide the price of your milk and bread for you?

17. reuge

reuge Avatar

Coto will eventually dry up. Look at the hoarding now. That's the coto merchant catalyst. With this weapon repair I foresee coto being driven to even higher level. Increase in coto drop would not compensate the huge amount of new application and demand. Evetually the only way would be to buy from store.

18. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

This isn't a real world economy - and yes - if profiteers were price gouging milk and bread and I would hope very much that the government would step in. :)

Free market is good - but this is a game and without some form of market anchor things will spiral out of control. With the COTO, at least for now, there is a real world tether to the US dollar in value and that has some play in determining the price of IGG - and that in turn drives pricing of bulk commodities for everything. More than worrying about the COTO determining the price of new gear, I'm actually concerned about the eventual flood of raw mats that will crash the market - everyone and their mother is hoarding mats right now... it's going to be a complete circus once everyone and their 100,000 of every mat in game goes to vendor. At least with the scaling COTO, people will be forced to use up some of these commodity reserves before game launch - or buy the increasing cost COTO to maintain their one special sword. In a way, what Portalarium is doing will help the in game economy if you consider that most people would rather buy new gear than COTO for repairs.

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

LMAO, never should have made items that can last forever even thru repairs nother great screw up from the start now the fix has players up in arms .

LoL

ITYS, so many times

20. lollie

lollie Avatar

With the scaling COTO system, people would rather wear the pledge gear or buy new cheap gear...leaving skilled crafters with nothing to do and no way to sell their quality gear. It's a terrible outcome.

It will also drive many people away from the game, especially when they see the very wealthy players being able to wear the best gear while everyone else scuttles around wearing rubbish gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.