Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

40m range on xp is just......stupid

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Nemesis2, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemesis2

Nemesis2 Avatar

if the mobs run away, or you are in a party and spread out just a little bit, or a healer you can easily get out of range of this. Also consider archers /tamers using pets getting slightly out of range. SERIOUSLY THINK THESE THINGS THROUGH!

Audacity, Net, Duke Albert and 2 others like this.
  2. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

It seems the designers want everyone in the thick and messy of it, in part to deny someone standing in the doorway getting XP off the 20+GM monster running amok in the center of the zone. Personally I agree with their goal, even if the details may need tweaking.

If you think grabbing XP in the door is a good thing, that's one arguement. If instead you think a different constraint (20m? 60m? Something else) is a very different discussion, IMO.

I suspect the first type of arguement isn't likely to find much traction with the devs at this point. I would hope they'd be very curious about logical agreement/disagreement with that 40m range however.

As such, what's the better number than 40m?

Katrina Bekers and Solazur like this.
  3. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Hunting parties of 8 are more likely than not split up and not even remotely that close together at all times.
    Glad I do most of my hunting alone.

Then you have the Crafters who do clean up for hides and stuff... get left behind all the time. That's a mess.

A tad extreme No?

4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

And crafters dont share gathering production exp but the fighters share advent exp.

I think it would be cool to have hunter gatherer pairs that share the exp from both pools. Share the mats and loot. Might bud some interesting friendships.

Lazarus Long likes this.
  5. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I feel the change impacts negatively on the whole group experience. While I can see where the Devs stand on trying to reduce the occurrences of characters just sitting idly at the entrance to the scene and soaking up xp, 40 metres doesn't allow enough play room for a group. Should someone in the party be skinning a fresh kill, then the whole group needs to stop their momentum every time.

This kind of limitation might work well within a dungeon environment, where the group must remain close to each other, however, it falls apart in the wider outdoor areas such as Deep Ravenswood. As Laz has posted, my guild is no exception to this strategy as we like to do things together that aren't the same old control points. My guild often takes a group of 8 and splits our party within the zone to do different sections while still sharing the xp as a whole. I don't see this as exploiting the game, but rather we are enjoying the experience as a whole while still gaming together. Every person is contributing to the run and nobody is afking at the entrance. Ideally, I'd suggest that so long as the party member has actively got a hit in or a heal onto someone who has got a hit in within 5 minutes of an xp bearing mob then we share the love.

Alternately, I would suggest relaxing the 40 metre range limit to a more forgiving distance such as 150 metres to allow those in your party who are on clean up duty the extra time they require.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  6. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

It was 20m but they upped it.

7. Selene

Selene Avatar

It is a little short...sighted.

Especially since it is distance from whoever kills the mob.. which, if it is an archer could be out of range if you're on opposite sides of the mob.

Audacity, moko, Duke Albert and 2 others like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I sense most folks don't know how far 40m in Unity is... besides it's not like the number can't be tweaked..

MrBlight likes this.
  9. Nemesis2

Nemesis2 Avatar

it still sucks should be like 100-150m or so

healing ray for me not fully gm'd is 30m, add onto that the range you can shoot with a bow is more, fire arrow at lvl 80 41.7m. so its an issue a huge huge issue.

10. Andel Rho

Andel Rho Avatar

The radial interaction proposal was a very weak idea, imo.

It creates a new problem.

Radius too small - negative player interaction with game.

Radius too big - exploitable

40 unity meters is More than enough space for a well placed nub to soak it up on a CP.

If the hourly exp were capped based upon the adventurer's level this discussion would be mute and the issue of disproportionate exp gain would be resolved.

Now we get to play a guessing game for x amount of releases that still leaves cracks for people trying to exploit the system.

The function I came up with in a previous thread to assign the hourly cap was based upon incorrect assumptions. If I have time I'll give it another go.

Cheers,

-Rho

11. Net

Net Avatar

Well, honestly, what I hate even more is that as soon as I jump on small rock in bandit camp, suddenly my spells do no damage yet they cost me focus and reagents:/

12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

You did remember reading that it was an EXPERIMENT, right? Just saying. It should get figured out.

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Theres another thread about this.

40m is massive. im an archer and i play in groups. this will not change much experiance for any active party members at all. go test 40 m..
    That beng said if 4 go one way and 4 go another and split.. your exp isnt split between 8 anymoee its split by 4..

The ONLY thing this might effect is when you bring a skinning farmer with you. so it causes a little less powerlevling mixed with gathering. means id just have to slow down n help skin here n there.

Its not that big a deal... 40m is surprisngly far..

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  14. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Here are a few of the things I am typically juggling during a fight:

Am I within healing range?
    How is my focus pool?
    Who is most likely going to take the next big hit?
    Are there people or pets between me at whoever needs the heal that might intercept it instead (even though I have the person hard targeted)?
    Have I drawn aggro?
    Do I need to move and if so recast spellbinder stance?

Now I also need to try to work in to all of this who will get the killing blow and if I am close enough to them to get credit.

Bleh. Just sad that we have to add this to our list of things to coordinate. Why do we even care if someone wants to split their xp with a party member camped at the entrance?

Not a fan of this test.

Net likes this.
  15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

because people are sitting at entrance while someone farms then millions of exp? Not evne having to be in danger zone? Doing this now, will cause them to die more, making powerleveling little bit harder.

Its a MASSIVE range, you will honestly never notice it. If your close enough to heal, your getting exp.... 40M is massive... do a test.. you will see.
    Light spell is 20m? Try with that casting on someone, and backing up. then double that.

IF you have to worry about not getting exp, you simply wernt near or in the fight. And shouldnt be getting a share anyways. Same goes both ways.. if you have 2 members who bugger off to other side of zone, now htey are a duo.. so ure not splitting with them anymore, while they split with less..

16. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

That assumes the person I am healing gets the killing blow which is often not the case.

My bigger point is why is this even an issue. I guess I just don't care if person A wants do donate half their xp to person B.

Fister Magee and Net like this.
  17. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah, I sort of agree. I think splitting xp is not really the issue anyway, the issue is that some people can get milion xp/hour easily. The levelling of alts/noobs is already harder by low level characters getting proportionally less xp. And one more person getting xp means another gets less.

I mean you could just easily say that donating gold to others is issue, it is not.

Fister Magee and Audacity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.