Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fizzle chance on "Dash" nerfed way too hard.

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Daxxe Diggler, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

First off, I want to note that this is a spell that most people primarily use for travelling faster and mostly just running around town. Sure, it can be used in-combat as a tactic, but it doesn't really last long enough to be a staple IMO.

Now, I don't exactly have it at GM yet... but my Dash is currently at level 77, which is quite a bit of XP put into it.

Wearing all cloth armor and no weapons or shields, I have a 91% chance to cast while running. Not too bad, but I have to assign a dedicated "Travelling" deck to get this setup as I generally wear plate/sword/shield setup. I would also have to carry around a set of cloth armor just to run around town.

However, we don't get many decks to customize as it is so would prefer NOT to use one just for this... and would also prefer to not have to change my gear just to be able to use a spell that is 3/4 the way to GM.

So, what happens when I am wearing plate/sword/shield with level 77 Dash? I have only a 27% chance while standing still (due to stillness buff), and 0% when moving! Yep, level 77 and I have absolutely NO chance to cast the spell! That is a HUUUGE drop just from gear choices and seems way to extreme to me.

Oh, and I should also note that I have level 88 in "Follow Through" which is supposed to lower my fizzle chance by 11%.

Now, I know there were changes to fizzle chances on air spells this release and all and heavy armor is not supposed to be ideal for air spells. But I would think that with the skill points I've put into the actual skill and into Follow Through that I would at least have some kind of chance to cast a utility type spell.

@Chris - Is there anyway you can give Dash a little love? Or maybe make the penalties only as harsh while in combat mode? If you did that, I could live with and understand the nerfs when in combat.

Thank you in advance for considering this request.

moko, FrostII, Kara Brae and 2 others like this.
  2. Pulsar

Pulsar Avatar

As for Ignite Weapon ! At lvl 70 (not GM) /w plate I was at 64% standing and 39% when moving : Alrdy SO hard.
    And now 57% while standing and 30% when moving ...
    A made for melee skill only castable by clothy guys !

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    jammaplaya, Beaumaris and FrostII like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Ouch, I didn't notice this on Beta, but yeah this will kill my moving around in town. Guess I'll have to get a set of fine town clothes to wear out and about!

4. Net

Net Avatar

Strange, with cloth armor and one coconut I still have 0% of fizzle on Dash (72) when running. My Follow Through is 42.

5. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

I think wearing plate armor should have a huge effect on casting "pure" magic stuff...

Rada Torment and Net like this.
  6. Sephros

Sephros Avatar

I currently have 63 in Dash, and 41 in follow through. Dash and blink are both 0% fizzle. If I am moving, dash is 0% and blink becomes 1%.........
    Now if I equip my shield +10% fizzle and wand -15% fizzle, both Dash and Blink are 0%. If I am moving, dash is 4% fizzle and blink is 24% fizzle..... #$%#$%!!!
    In my town gear, Cane and Wolf Pipe it is even worse. Dash now gets an 11% fizzle rate, and blink a 31% fizzle rate...??? Whats going on? Should a non combat related smoking pipe lower fizzle this much? Something seems odd with these new numbers.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to add I am always in full cloth gear. The way I read it, I wasn't expecting and fizzle change for me

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  7. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah it is strange but non-combat gear (like pipe, or torch, or mug) has 0% fizzle, wands or empty hands have -15% fizzle which helps a lot.

8. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

Quit smoking... Dude !

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  9. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I agree with that too. And for spells like Discharge, Chain Lightning, Fire Bolt, etc... I would understand the difficulty level (and high fizzle chance).

But Dash is a run speed spell, mostly used as a utility spell to get around faster around town. Right now, even with Dash and Follow through in the 70's and 80's... it shouldn't be a zero percent chance!!! I mean, it doesn't even attempt to cast at all. I just want my speed boost back for running around town.

Like I said, I'd even be OK if they lessened the penalty some for when I'm out of combat... but kept it the same as it is now when I'm in combat mode. If I'm not in combat, there is no need to balance cloth vs. plate.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Net

Net Avatar

Well, you can always change decks and gear for when you visit towns.
    I think it only makes sense that dash is harder to cast in plate armor. It is not as restrictive as sprint which actually requires you to use light armor.

And dash can be used very effectively in combat to stay out of the harm's way, so of course there is need to balance it. Light armor is about being able to avoid damage (but being hit hard when you fail), heavy armor is about absorbing that damage, or should be imho.

Anyway I think sprinting people in heavy plate are bit silly sight.

11. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

100% agree with the original poster. The non combat bar should not have the negative penalty for armo just for ease of use and not annoying your players. But, they would need to make sure the glyphs that can be added to that bar are appropriate to avoid heavy armor wearers buffing up before battle with spells they can't caste in battle.

Fine line.

Daxxe Diggler, Net and FrostII like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.