Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Aiming system change

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Hornpipe, Nov 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Hello...

I'm not here to complain about the aiming system itself, as it's good stuff in my opinion.

Recently, @Chris made some statement about aiming system changes in the R36. Litteraly, I thought they were a good thing. But, in practice, I feel it differently.

I'm an archer.

Before the R36, most of the time, I was firing at the target I was aiming for, in most combat configurations.
    Since the R36, now, I'm firing at the nearest target everytime it's between me and the target I'm aiming for, even if the nearest target is at my side (as long as it is in the 180 ° in front of me).

I do not think it's a good change.

Obviously, if an enemy is between me and my target, I find it natural that it takes the shoot : that was very well handled in the R35 already. But, very often, I'm aiming at a farther away target because it is a more immediate danger (archer or mage, for example). Now, with the R36, I have to lock it with the auto targeting system, even when the closest target is on my side. It doesn't feel natural anymore. It feels weird.

That's only my opinon, but this change takes us a few months back.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The issue here is that there are other people who complained that they ended up killing rabbits 20m behind them instead of a mob in front of them. The two use cases are contradicting each other.

Bow Vale likes this.
  3. moko

moko Avatar

I think overall it is working better, but I still have the problem that I will target one enemy with the "G"/"set next target" key and will still fire shots at something completely different. I wish if I "hard set" the target to be something I would fire only at that one...

4. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I generally like to be firing at the one i have targeted more so than the one im directly pointing at so for me i like the change. .

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  5. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Then, let's give the choice between "aiming at the closest" or "aiming at the target I'm pointing at".

Now you can kill the rabbit when it's 2m on your left :D

6. uhop

uhop Avatar

How about "firing at the closest enemy to where I point, yet still in range"? Right now when a mob regroups, I fire at different enemies, which is far from ideal, given that all enemies behave unnaturally --- no matter how badly they're damaged they still hit me at full strength. Naturally I want to take them one by one as soon as possible, not "every one, but just a little bit".

And I don't buy the rabbit story either, not for a minute: a rabbit can be killed with one arrow. So what is an extra arrow, when we have countless misses and "dodged"? Unless we have an horde of rabbits around, and they all lined up to be killed at exactly the same spot attracting arrows like a magnet, it is not a real problem. Not for archers, not for wizards, not for fighters. Especially given that for several releases we have "don't hit a creature that didn't cause a damage to you" in place.

7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Healing friendlies seems to be about the same, maybe a little better with the targeting. If I have a targeted party member it will try its best to heal them. If I am still targeted on what we are killing I can still reticle target them for a heal. I was worried with the change that I would always target self first.

Unfortunately on the attacking side you do have to completely turn your back on the other attackers to stay on that archer with a few hit points left that is running away. Could use a little more fine tuning.

8. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

+1
    Before the patch I could take out a group of lets say 4 yellow mobs one by one and end up with about 1/3 full focus. Now that mobs follow me and the position of them changes mor near or far to me I am with empty focus and just took 1 of them out. No need to adventure like that.

Sue D Nim and Kliirkast like this.
  9. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

This morning, I was aiming at an elven mage. But the arrow was for a rabbit which was at the end of my angle of vision because it was closer. Enough is enough.

Stop encouraging the killing of innocent rabbits!

Let the arrows go where we aim!

Why punish everyone (especially rabbits) because of those who do not know how to aim? :D

@Chris @DarkStarr

Another thought : now, with target locking, it's easy to aim at a target which is behind many foes. This does not encourage the player to know how to place himself correctly. Less skill is involved with this system which requires knowing how to select a target rather than making real tactical choices..

10. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

+100 !

Hornpipe likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Dear Portalarium:
    For pete's sake...... Give us some freekin' way (any freekin' way, I don't care) to select the target that we wish to hit - and then leave us the f**k alone....

Why is this so hard for you to understand ????? :mad:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    LoneStranger likes this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I constantly have this problem when more then 1 mob.. especially wolves.

Had 3 wolves on me.. 1 i pulled 2 aggro.
    First one was 1/4 when suddenly my guy started shooting one on my right.. even tho i was clicked on first one. then it switched AGIAN to newst.. i literally stopped and laughed as i now had 3 wolves under half.

Became significantly LESS funny when tryig to chase someone in pvp.. and target kept shooting past them or mobs that aggrod on me during the chase.. ignoring the fact i was clicking and locked on the player..

Shoot the one im targeted on.. and if that breaks.. shoot nearsst.. but RE PRIORITIZE the target im clicked on once back in range. its such a pain in ass its not even funny.

FrostII, uhop and moko like this.
  13. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I am also an archer. Since R36 I sometimes have to look so far away to the left or right before I notice the aiming reticle change target to hit the one that I want. This was much better in R35 for archers, imho. So basically I'm kiting two mobs, I slow one, and then want to slow the other one before he passes the slow one, I have to do some really weird turning in order to keep my target on the one that's effectively further away, used to be much easier and accurate... not sure if this is something that can be changed only when Bows are equipped in order to appease archers? :-/

(Or give us a targeting accuracy slider?)

It looks pretty ridiculous the way it works now.

moko, uhop and FrostII like this.
  14. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I would love an option to hit the lowest health point character with heals or the current targeted player. I find that if another player happens to cross nearby when I'm facing another player the heal spells ignore the player I wanted to heal and hit the player closer. This is particularly annoying when I have multiple melee fighters I am trying to heal as they bunch together. I then am forced to stand next to whomever I wanted to heal and hope that they don't move. I don't see any reason to have a system without specific targets either with healing or attack. Random targeting is unrealistic. There is no reason one would want to not hit the person they wanted to hit if they are within range and eligible to be hit with the skill.

FrostII likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think that targets should be weighted with priority going to those closest to dead center.

Hornpipe likes this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I want my target to be what I select.

Period.

And I want Next Target ( g-key ) to BEGIN closest to me ( LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO) - as we're currently into the 3rd release with this being BROKEN.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Aldo, Kliirkast, Necrothaftis and 6 others like this.
  17. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

archers have nothing to complain about ever. archers nuke a patriarch bear in roughly 10 seconds and little hp loss. I'm at one bear for 2 minutes with a halberd and all mana lost and 1/3 hp left if i'm lucky.

THE HENDOMAN

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That is such an open-ended statement. I can take a new archer avatar and die within seconds of attacking a patriarch bear without scoring a single hit.

FrostII and Hornpipe like this.
  19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Oh shush. Mages my level burn through just as easy.
    And i play with a light armor duel wielder who can out dmg me aswell.
    Im assuming u built a tank and then are surprised your tanky and not a dmg dealer.

Targetting needs work as after patch today its still cycling targets.

Hornpipe likes this.
  20. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

For gosh sakes, the mechanics are already there. NPC archers never miss me even when I am behind stuff or running away with "serpentine motion". We want what they got.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.