1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

Also, don't forget, we plan to put as few game spawned items into the world as possible. Even the tools for crafting can be crafted! So we are pushing as far as possible for players create everything. I am sure that will be refined over time, but imagine looting a monster in a dungeon, and finding the sword another friend lost down there in months past!

2. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

fermintation has to take place prior to that to produce the alcohol. You are describing a distilling process, there are others (such as freezing). Beer and wine isn't distilled.

rild and NirAntae like this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

So, is this a hint as to how death will work? Will we lose what we are carrying when we die and be forced to go retrieve it?

Hypothe and Kilhwch like this.
  4. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    Looks awesome guys. Think I found an error in one of the images:

SotA Crafting Tree Relationships:
    Soft link (dotted line) from Field Dressing to Alchemy appears to be an error. Nothing in the Gathering info supports that link. Also I'm guessing it's an error because it's the only gather on that image that has four links instead of three.

5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

This is a very cool feature.

rild, Grayhawk, By-Tor and 1 other person like this.
  6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Looking forward to risky deaths, I've missed that :)

Hypothe and dragon8u like this.
  7. Lord British

BTW to confirm a few points from above:
    Combat gives Combat Skill points to spend. Crafting goves Crafting skill points to spend.
    You can build gardens on your home plot, so a "modest farm".
    We don't currently have domesticated animals in Episode 1, but clearly something we could / should do.
    LB

8. Leom_Tanith

Leom_Tanith Avatar

After reading this post I was curious about this myself. Personally, for the health of the community it would be in the best interest of the developers to limit how much one character can learn. If you allow a character to learn everything possible in the game, would they have any need for trading or bartering? You could argue that limiting a character's abilities so that they can master two or three trees forces players to trade for good and services.

Granted you could put in a system that allows for characters to unlearn their previous talents (at a cost) in order to explore new trees. Or put in place some sort of soft cap on skill points. Any points aquired after that cap are extremely difficult to attain (i.e. awarded only through special, difficult to complete world events) and could be tree specific.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is pure gold! The skills presented so far are totally awesome. It's going to allow us to create totally unique characters while still being able to be competative with others.

One thing I was wondering is will it be possible to master all of the schools of magic, and is there a way to become a pure mage using similar or maybe just a little more skill points than being a pure warrior. As it stands if we were to be a mage and were supposed to put skill points into each individual spell, then that would translate as almost 10x the ammount of skill points needed to master all the schools of magic as opposed to becoming a pure warrior with weapon and armor skills.

Is there a way to rather put skill points into a base skill for that particular school of magic that grants access to all the spells, but you still need to learn each spell individually (but not with skill points directly into spells). That would sort of even out the ammount of skill points nessisary to be a complete mage, between the number of skill points nessisary to be a complete warrior.

dragon8u and rild like this.
  10. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I was looking forward to sheep. But I guess I'll have to find a new line of work. It seems wrong not to have shepherds.

HokageFont and animegeneral like this.
  11. Lord British

Favonius,
    I will need Starr to weigh in to be sure.... and he is out at a meeting right now.
    - Richard

Favonius Cornelius likes this.
  12. Lord British

PrimeRib,
    Fear not, we'll get them in.
    We already have the animals roaming around the town.
    We will get them "penned up for you" as soon as possible.
    - LB

13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

If they make it take a lot of time to get to that point then during that whole level up process they will need to depend on others. And by time sink I mean it should take 1,000hrs or more... where most players aren't likely to have the time to do that. But the hardcore/dedicated few will be able to be self-sufficient eventually.

14. SOTAJunky

SOTAJunky Avatar

Moon Mage here I come. Gotta love a stealthy magician.

Fortune\'s Foot likes this.
  15. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

If this isn't breaking some new ground then it definitely hasn't been done enough already. I like it.

HokageFont likes this.
  16. cs2501x

cs2501x Avatar

This is a very, very cool idea. *Big thumbs up*.

17. smack

smack Avatar

Indeed, I think this is new and could be yet another pioneering moment we'll talk about years from now when every other game does this.

18. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, it's going to take A LOT of time. That will be the currency we pay with if we want to do it all. There are some 272 skills, and if you can dump 5-10 points in each skill, that's A LOT of work to gain XP and level to do it all. But hey, if you've got the time, go for it. I like that this game will allow people to do that over the course of their online "life".

lained, Mishri and Isaiah like this.
  19. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Bravo! This is shaping up just how I hoped it would.

20. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

I like the sound of that a lot actually Mishri. On the surface it sounds sensible to make sure that people should not be able to do everything perfectly, but on the other hand I have played overspecialized games in the past where they try to limit you to force player interdependence and in the end each time I felt as if I was more inconvenienced than immersed in a community, and many aspects of the game cut off forever from my enjoyment because I just didn't have enough skill points to do a thing.

NirAntae likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.