1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I believe in UO Lumberjacking gave a damage bonus to Swordsmanship when using Axes as a weapon, not to Macing.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

it gave bonus damage to "axes" which was considered a sword skill. In SotA axes will be under the Bludgeoning weapons. However there has been no mention of a bonus for knowing how to chop down trees.

3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I guess what I'm saying is that a generic sword as loot will be sold just the same as a player crafted sword as loot will be sold. Either way, the player is getting money, and something returns to the loot table. I don't see how player crafted items are any different.

I don't think we can assume that every item sold to NPCs will be returned to the characters as loot. They can easily toss some in the garbage as well. Certain criteria can be used to increase the chance that they are returned via loot. For example, having been used to kill a mob is a simple criteria. If they haven't then maybe there is a 90% chance it's junked. If it already has a 'name' or has done great deeds, then make sure it 100% is returned to a creature.

Mishri likes this.
  4. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Ok, I think it was axes, not sure why I was thinking mace.
    Was there something else that helped maces?
    Anyways it is more about the idea then all the details. :)

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

No nothing else helped the mace skill except for, Anatomy, Tactics, and 100 strength.

6. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Starr has talked about the vendors only buying so many of a particular "kind" of item for only so much; then the price will drop. Once the price hits the floor, items will be "released" for respawn elsewhere in the game (not sure I like it but curious to see it work) meaning the vendor has an item "glut" and needs to get rid of it somehow. I would rather see the vendor pack up a cart with those items and attempt to ship them to another town for NPC-to-NPC resale; sometimes the cart will be attacked by whatever and the cargo lost and re-distributed via various creatures. But the end result is the same.

I am hoping that vendors have a limited amount of gold, and will pay less and less as the amount they are holding goes down (this will drive players to sell to other players instead OR rip things apart for materials). Will be interesting to see it unfold and I HOPE the devs have us specifically test the overall mechanism at some point (maybe early beta?)

@Dermott...*waves and starts to precast*...nice to see you out this way :)

7. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

If you force people to only be able to master a narrow skill set, there will be only all warriors and mages and almost no fringe skill people. Being the only baker in town could make you money. It probably would be profoundly boring after a month.

You know, there have been plenty of people in history and in the world today that combine many skills you might think as exclusive. Julius Caesar was a polymath capable of holding his own on the front lines of a legion, then dictate literature, prose and engineering. da Vinci was as much an artist as a scientist. The guys who make it to the special forces of nations are highly technical individuals who also happen to fight well too.

The extent of a player's skill set should match their dedication and intelligent application.

8. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver Avatar

Great layout nice job.

9. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver Avatar

They did this theory on Siege Perilous in Ultima Online... It's good its good things and bad things to it. But as you stated the end result is the samae it just helps balance the ecnomy part of the game hopefully they'll have another additional gold sinks in the game to help control it.

10. SoulWeaver

SoulWeaver Avatar

I agree and disagree. If we only have 1 character that we are allowed to make then yes be able to learn all skills is excellent to put into the game if we were are allowed multiple characters then i disagree. They tried doing this in DarkFall Online and basically what happens is all the oldest Alpha Beta testers or anyone starting early always will have an advantage on someone starting late in the game. So as far as the PvP, Competition aspect of it the new will never catch up in theory depending on how hard they make it to max every skill so. Capping out 1's character to only allow so many templates makes them only so strong and eventually everyone template vs template matches up to balance out.

Saosis likes this.
  11. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

MAN… Lot of responses flying in just a day. Had to read a lot:)! Few notes that I took… 1st off looks really great overall and thank you @DarkStarr @RichardGarriott taking time to present and answer. Extra kudos for clarifying a lot, like
    • Craft / Combat exp
    • Penned sheeps (and other farm animals)!
    • Item circulation as loot (well this has been mentioned several times in several places, but still its really really goooood in my opinion)
    • @Lum thanks for nod toward subterfuge tree been waiting for that!
    Now the some creative observations. EDIT: that I actually found out that I had only two points concerning the trees… Good job Dev!
    • I did notice that there is no flutes in instruments, also consider adding some of music instruments to tinkering like metal pan flute or music boxes.
    • If we are going to be allowed to use mixed armorsets (like chainmail+leather sleeves) how that is going to be handles, skill wise?
    And some advertising:
    • Make deep fishing system with lures (tinkering!), nets (tailoring), fish traps (carpentry), explosion potions & poisons – oh wait that’s covered allready…
    • Farming: Could we grow mushrooms and lichens etc. in our basements? Or do plants check sun light at all at this point (so you can grow everything in everywhere?)
    • Go crazy with alchemical ingredients*
    Except that you get poisons from animals too, say spiders. Stated in the earliest vids. I go and presume that you can use grinded bones or bloods in alchemy, would make sense.

*Specially as we can make healing potions and buffs it makes sense that not all of the ingredients are not even mundane, like using hell hounds tongue to represent fire, catching morning suns rays to distilled water vial, bottle up last breath of dying warrior, presenting vial of maidens tears to bath in last light of the last star in the sky and by now you get the idea J I really hope theres really crazy components that you would need to set up (not necessarily difficult) but you would have to see the “trouble”. Now that would make my alchemy. (and for all those that say “then I cant produce that potion in enough quantities” theres skill to increase the output and something should not just be mass produced, even if you have all the time in the world to play)

Edit: “bottle up last breath of dying warrior” I bet this would make hilarious scenes “Heal me!!” and the alchemist mage just “Trust me! Hold on, I got your brea... BACK!”

Lord Royou and Knoxinn like this.
  12. nightfyre

nightfyre Avatar

Hmm I do like the sound of a shield using life magic user. Casting heals and bracing for counter attacks using my shield.

Sounds like a lot to take in at the moment, figuring out that Imight need foraging or some means to get my regeants; or will I build my fortune being a crafter first then an adventurer. Though I think of the people who are getting hurt out there and I might drop my gathering tool and rush off to help.

My mind races with possible combos. I want to cast a soothing mist then shoot a fireball at it to make steam that spreads out and heals more of my allies as the steam spreads out but at a lesser effect. Air magic combo from friend that pushes the range attack faster and hits the initial landing spot a little harder. Flash Fireball!

13. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Wow, just wow. Great stuff devs!! I might have missed this, but is there a limit on skill points? Just wondering if one can master several crafting professions like in UO on one character..

14. Famdari

Famdari Avatar

This sounds awesome.

NirAntae likes this.
  15. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Limit has not been stated or confirmed. But it has been noted/hinted/suggested that player would eventually could learn major part of the skills (just not *all*) but nothing written in stone.

16. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Sounds good so far. Still waiting on systems like thieving.

17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

under air magic
    Blink: Instantly move to nearby spot that you could walk to

So, if there is a pit in front of me and I could make it around the pit on the side can I blink there?

Or if there is a gap in front of me I could cross by going back down the hill and walking around, will I be able to blink?

18. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Great Update! Keep up th amazing work.

Whit this update i think the actual general vision osf scholls/skills is:
    We can learn from all the schools spending generic skillpoints (combat/craft)
    We can learn all the skills that come within them
    In combat, we are limited only by a deck of skills that we must to choose at a given time
    The skills will be presented to us randomly to use them

That raises some questions:
    How the deck system will handle passive skills if we have learned all of them?
    How often we will be able to change our deck?
    A skillcap system wouldnt be good to solve the "jack of all trades, master of all" problem?
    The card system actually is planed for combat, so a craftman will be able to craft all the recipes at the same time?
    Is really necessary a random deck?, why not just a hand of 5 or 6 combat skills?

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Just because there is training involved, doesn't mean trainers have to be used the same way. For a fully player-driven economy, players could potentially train one another, and the NPC trainers could be rare, distant, and expensive. That would make much more sense to me than a generic "skill trainer" in every city.

No, keep crafting and combat skills separate. Otherwise, you go up the "optimization" path where every fighter is a great lumberjack, because it improves their DPS by 0.5%. Players should learn tradeskills because they want to use them, not because it effects how fast they kill things.

Isaiah and Mishri like this.
  20. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Summon Demon: Summons a powerful Demon that attacks everyone (including caster)
    Control Demon: Controls a summoned demon to keep it from killing caster and allies

Does this mean that caster1 summons and caster2 can cast control & send it to kill caster1? Could be interesting

Isaiah, Jatvardur and Mishri like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.