Game Update downloading slow? Try these suggestions...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Berek, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We apologize for the slow download of patches through our system. While we continue to make progress on improving download speeds, here are a couple of other options to speed along the process:

Option 1: If available to you, use the Steam patcher

Option 2 (Windows users):
    • Close the launcher
    • Open the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Downloads
    • Install a secure torrent client of your choice as the default torrent client for your computer
    • Right click on the newest torrent and select Open so it uses your default torrent client
    • After downloaded through your torrent program, copy the new patch file to the SotA downloads folder
    • Tell Windows it is acceptable to replace the partial file
    • Reopen the Launcher and it will 'download' 0-100% really fast and then start the patch

Thanks @Solyent Green for discovering Option 2!

2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Nice! I'll have to try that next time around.

3. steorrawulf

steorrawulf Avatar

After running the downloader for 28 hrs and only getting to 37% I give up. I'm going to try Steam and see how that works.
    I must say, the official launch date is approaching quickly. How many new players will you get if they can't download the game? I really want this game to not only succeed, but to blow apart expectations. I'm hoping you can make this a priority.

Emile Layne and FrostII like this.
  4. countesscrow

countesscrow Avatar

Yes I am brand new to the game. Since your patch going on 3 days now.....I am no higher than 40 percent. At least 15 years ago it was my internet connection that was the problem. You need to fix your download servers because this is crazy.

Vedista and FrostII like this.
  5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Welcome countesscrow! Apologies again about the poor download performance :(. We're definitely trying to improve it for everyone. I hope the alternatives above work for now.

countesscrow likes this.
  6. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Any recommendations for a good lightweight malware free "secure torrent client" ? Been a long time since I played around with such :)

7. countesscrow

countesscrow Avatar

Currently trying this out with Bit Torrent. It says I have 30 minutes left. I am crossing my fingers that this works. I play this game at home and at work. :p

FrostII likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I did a Google search for torrent client and read a few reviews from several sources, and am going to try BitTorrent's own client.
    **Note** BitTorrent has an "Opt-Out" checkmark for McAfee's software that you may wish to not receive, but hell - so does Java and even Adobe Reader... geez.

Here's one review on several clients I read.

9. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

R38 and still horribly slow. At 35kb/s, I'm hoping to be on by next week. Why does this only effect the live server? Even mid- or late-release? The QA patcher always peaks my connection.

How does this look to new players? Using a bit torrent or steam on a 3 year old game shouldn't be necessary. Please put some effort into solving this issue. If not for me, for any new customers who buy the game. What a terrible first experience with Shroud. Buy the game, patch for 4 days.

Thanks!

10. Grizelda TheHag

Grizelda TheHag Avatar

terrible 35kb/s max rate .........
    15mb/s downloading film..........
    all release (

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup....
    I knew they had hosting issues earlier today, but DS said they fixed them.
    This is going from bad to worse, IMO.... :(

12. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Well, all I know is that every release the download speed sucks on live but is flawless on qa. Honestly, at this stage in the game, it's a huge Marketing/PR issue. Forget about graphics, story, pvp, and stability of the game for a minute. If a user can't even download the game...what is the first (and likely last) impression? I wish they would get a marketing person on board to start thinking about public perception of various things. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

Anyway, I'd love to play...but patching will take several days. See ya!

13. Sir Aular Glorthalion

Sir Aular Glorthalion Avatar

Roycestein Kaelstrom and smack like this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, qbittorrent is great. Just add the SotA RSS feed and create a rule to download new patches automatically.

15. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Sorry to say this... but some really old game called (never mind)... seems to have figured out a cool way to slowly patch game while allowing people to continue playing... maybe you guys could give them a call and ask them how they figured it out?

My Avatar will have died of really old age by the time I get the game reinstalled from scratch.

16. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I use STEAM to download or patch the game. I then exit or close STEAM and play or run SotA directly from the .exe...

17. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Ok I just discovered HUGE issue that resolved my slow download speeds.

Not fully sure why or what it all means to be honest.

First I bought a new motherboard and also a hard drive and installed Windows 7, I only have 4gigs of RAM as the mb has two slots for ddr2 and two slots for ddr3 and I dont have any ddr3 chips yet.

I've been trying to download game fresh for two days now and I'm up to 60% over 36 hours of downloading getting anywhere from 50 KB/s to 200 KB/s and couldn't figure out why so slow. I have a 65 mbps download 12 up connection so I knew it wasnt that...

I checked some software that came with MB and there's something called XFast Lan well I decided to run its own diagnostics and opened cFos Speed Guide, it said to check my network to see if other computers in home nework were using bandwidth (I knew they werent) but it says to go into "Traffic Shaping" and select "calibrate line" which I did.

Instantly my shroud launcher downloading shot from the low average 150 (approximate) KB/s to 3.0 MB/s and as I type this I see it breaking over 6.50 MB/s and I was at 60% of game downloaded when I started typing this post to now 85% of game downloaded.

I'm not sure why or how but this solved my problem...

If anyone needs more info just ask...

100% downloaded...

GAME Extracting now!!! bwahahahaha... BEWARE... I'm coming in! yay... months without playing.

I missed Shroud...

Unzipping 1% complete WOOOHOOO!

18. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Oh and sorry... for blaming Shroud for what was apparently my problem... I owe Berek a cookie, oatmeal raisin I think was his favorite... *digging out the baking pans*

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

4 gigabytes is currently not enough memory. As it is, the minimum for SotA Is probably 16 gigabytes.

20. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

No it used to be min 6gigs its now 8gigs I read the post other day I can dig up the link if needed... (here)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/systems-with-8-gb-or-less-memory.74877/

I used to run on 6gigs months ago and it was ok... mute point since I just installed two ddr3 4gig chips giving me 8gigs now although I could drop the speed and put another 4gigs of ddr2 back in but trying this for now and opting for the higher fsb.

EDIT: and its been said by couple people even with plenty of ram game is only using at most 10gigs

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.