Memory isnt your problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Dec 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

A couple weeks ago there was a post about "hitching" and that 8 gigs of ram was a minimum and most likley the cause of most of the hitching problems. My machine not super old and with decient every thing except it had 8 gigs of ram I was excited to hear this so I went out and bought another 8 gigs of ram. Well I can report not a single drip of performance improvement and that includes "hitching".

There must be another reason for it. Unless something else I have is considered old - hexacore cpu 4.1ghz, gtx 770, ssd drive, cable isp, win10 and now 16g ram.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    By Tor, MrBlight, Alexander and 5 others like this.
  2. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Hexcore (4.5 ghz), Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme, ssd, 32gb ram, 100 mbit inet connection...

And guess what, i have it all too :p
    hitching, small stutters, lag/delay when playing with other players etc.

Hardware doesn't really matter at this point.
    Performance in SotA still needs a lot of work.

moko, Sentinel2, By Tor and 7 others like this.
  3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

glad you were able to buy another 8GB... sadly, I have to replace my current Mobo if I want another 8GB of RAM... I can of course, but I'll also have to reinstall everything if I do that and I'm too lazy... LOL...

Solazur likes this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Thanks bro, but sadly going from 8 to 16 didnt give me anything but a recipt ;)

Numa and Kabalyero like this.
  5. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

Reading the above posts confuse me. I have no problems with my computer, which is quite inferior in comparison:

3.2 hex core
    64 GB RAM
    580 GTX
    SSD

6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Strange... mabey the game requires a min of 64gb of ram to remove hitching?

Kabalyero likes this.
  7. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Everyone has the hitching, very small annoying ultra tiny freezes, the longer you play, the more frequent it happens.
    Expecially when fighting for hours and hours with tooltips on etc.

It's a well known issue in SotA/Unity.

moko, Alexander and Numa like this.
  8. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

No, SotA doesn't even get close to 32 gb of ram.

It uses about 6 - 9 gb, depends

Numa likes this.
  9. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

I suppose I have low standards and don't notice it, then, haha.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I usually don't have issues and I do have a new computer and use an SSD but this release is having issues for me as well. Sound is messed up and lag spikes and strange various graphics things happening. So when the devs come back there will be much to do in the regard to fixes.

Leelu likes this.
  11. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

There also seems to be a master/slave relationship with instances. If you have someone with a lower end bandwidth and computer as the master of the instances lag seems to increase a lot. I don't have a low end computer at all with 3.7 7 processor system with 64g of ram and 250/mbs internet. I still get hitches. One of my friends and I were testing the master/slave connection and found that the lag was less when he was the master of the instance. You can switch the master by having someone log out while in a party inside an instance. The instance switches to the other person in the instance as the new master and when you log in you are the slave. This fixed the majority of our lag.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Alexander, FrostII, Spoon and 5 others like this.
  12. Knightguy

Knightguy Avatar

Ruin I ran this on my monster machine with 32 GB and I still get hitching, with dual 1080 nvidia cards, an ssd drive, and an I7 6950x processor. It's a software problem they'll need to fix.

Kuya PJ, FrostII, fonsvitae and 4 others like this.
  13. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

oh btw. upgrading to 16GB was still a good choice, some games really get close to 8gb, it's always good to have some extra free ram for your PC while playing games :p

14. 3devious

3devious Avatar

If I play in single player online I get no hitching even on my old DELL server. I put 24 GB of memory in it because I know I will use it for something someday & because I'd rather have the RAM and not need it than need it and not have it. Playing in multiplayer is the suck when it comes to performance and not just because @Kinkara keeps coming over and robbing me. Yeah I'm not butthurt about losing my stuff because I'm broke but getting mezzed constantly makes my computer act like the graphics card is going to explode and I am held fast no amount of trying to jump will save me. It's funny whenever things start dogging I look around for him. Sometimes I don't see him but hitting numpad+0 and there he is! I'm not saying he's the source of all of your performance slow downs he is mine! lol
    Thanks for keeping it interesting!

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I suffered massive hitching up until They upgraded unity around persistence. Since then, I have not had any hitching at all. My client was on for about 10 hours yesterday in the game without a single log out and I suffered nothing such as memory leak induced performance problems.

I personally think its fixed and probably would not be a software problem on their part in game or I would suffer from it too.

The only issue that people who are still hitching may have is one bad piece of hardware, bad driver or odd issue with Unity (such as that specific ATI card version).

But I would suggest you guys with issues rebuild windows from scratch and pull down the latest drivers.

Intel 4 ghz Skylake
    32 gig DDR4 3200
    Samsung 950 Pro m.2 x4
    EVGA GTX980

25 meg up / 250 meg down internet.

16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Whats my weak link then, that would cause the half second freezes know as hitching?

Geforce 770
    Hexa core cpu 4.1ghz
    16 gig ram
    Ssd drive
    Cable isp (gold pkg)

Also hitches on my mule computer.

Quadcore cpu 3.6 ghz
    8 gigs ram
    Geforce 750
    Cable isp

Really the only two things I have that are the same is my cable isp and the software, but im open to your input. I do have a high isp connection top tier.

Possibly 700 series isnt supported in unity?

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The cores are fine and the ram is fine.
    Your cards are outdated. Yes I know but such are the times. They are outdated. How much ram do they have?

It still could be your isp though. Doesn't matter how good your connection is.
    Did you check your ping?

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Dose tuning down the graphic settings help with the freezing?

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I run for speed, however i can run at max with no issues other than hitching at either or any settings.

Its possible the game may require a 1070 gtx or better to be above it also mabey over 4 gigs of video ram?

Dont get me wrong the game is playable I just have to tolerate the occasional half second hang ups.

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well for me the issues haven't been that major. I just noticed some strange things like sounds are Really booming here and there. Especially the Wolves. My card is a 1060 Nvidia and I have an i7 processor and play on ssd. Anyway I have priorities and am able to prioritize making payments on the one I just got. So A new computer was a necessity to me but perhaps many can't make that change, which is sad if playing games is important to you as to me. I know it's something I'll be doing. I am a gamer for life ;) I'm on my phone so I don't have all my specs handy. *Cheers*

Baratan and Govenor Ruin like this.
  21. Earl Atogrim von Draken

That's pretty strange.
    SotA has the bad habit of using the wrong card if you have a on-board card on your Mainboard. Seems unlikely in your case.
    And if it is really your card you should be able to see differences between the different settings.
    Back to your isp I guess. From where are you if you don't mind me asking and how is your ping?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.