1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

No Macros or Botting Allowed of any kind

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

True but Lord British seems very adamant that he can

Govenor Ruin likes this.
  2. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

The problem with broad statements such as above is that it does not say anything that will let the user know what is allowed.

There are many macros that are built-into the game.
    (i.e. the emotes dropdown is simply a macro (when clicked an action occurs)... Are they going to be removed?)
    (i.e. ALL of the items on a combat bar are macros... Are that being removed also?)

For those of us that are just trying to play the game and enjoy the game a better description of what is being done that is not legal would be a great help.

A general statement such as this one and the one by @Berek do not tell enough to know if we are treading on thin ice.

Please expand the initial post to give more information.
    Thanks

Bodhbh Dearg, Tamsen, Beli and 4 others like this.
  3. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

Good luck with that. :rolleyes: We've been asking for a clear set of guidelines for over a year.

4. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Another reason we need a full XP and skills wipe prior to "launch" of Episode 1. Of course, that won't be popular but when you have a group of players who have done in 6 months what will take 6 years for the the rest of the player base there has been some hard core botting and exploiting going on. And I highly doubt Starr is referring to macroing the Z and T when going into combat mode or pressing the 12 buttons on the side of a Razor mouse. We're talking about serious bot farming XP for countless hours both away from keyboard or sitting at keyboard. /tableflip

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  5. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

If there is a group of players that are in the 'one' percent where they have 90 percent more experience then the rest of the users, just wipe their exp and leave the rest of the users 'as is'.

Cypher Black

psteg, Ancev, Stundorn and 6 others like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, punish those who play the most.

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

but but but i wanna play 2 hours a week and be as good as those guys doing 50! its not fair! wheres my instant win button! This games stupid!

8. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

I'm not saying that. I'm saying if you have 1 percent of the players cheating to the point that they have 90 percent more then the rest of the player base, then yes, 'punish them'. For cheating though, not for 'playing' the most.

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If someone is cheating they should be banned. Take the top 1 percent out of it. To me if there's that big of a gap between the top 1 percent and everyone else, then we need to design the game to lessen that gap as much as possible. They're two different problems that require two different solutions.

mizztery, Ancev, Net and 4 others like this.
  10. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

If there's a skill wipe planned (or possible) in the future, we need a heads up. I'm sitting here endlessly grinding spiders to raise my skills - don't wanna be wasting my time. :)

11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

its already been stated there wont be another wipe.
    They would loose close to 90% of their player base while destroying any chance of launching without mass amounts of ridicule.
    It simply wont happen. no need to worry.

12. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

MrBlight is correct. They won't do any more wipes. They do claim the right to do rollbacks though. But, if there was a XP/Skills wipe or any other wipe there would be a massive uproar with a lot of really pissed off players. I am just expressing the opinion that unfortunately character persistence was way too early and there should be an adventure XP/Skills wipe prior to "launch" due to real exploits, perceived exploits, imbalances and bugs that were not corrected prior to the final wipe. But, as stated they have put themselves in a position where they can't do that.

Elwyn, mass, Roper Docholiday and 8 others like this.
  13. eli

eli Avatar

Overall I appreciate this, but I think it's still a little gray.

for clarification:
    • Is it legal to play with a joystick/an xbox controller or dance pads/emacs pedals?
      • What about assigning actions to mouse scroll wheels?
      • what about rotating a joystick through all 8 positions?
    • What about mind control? https://www.emotiv.com/epoc/

From a sanity/carpal tunnel perspective:
    • Can we get an assignable "follow" hotkey so i don't have to type "/follow" all the time?
    • Can the smelting limit be increased from 20 to 999?

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So who's cheating and who just plays a lot?

15. Morgoth redbeard

Morgoth redbeard Avatar

think this is a good step so many games die out due to hacks dupes bots and general scripting
    if you feal you have to cheat to get ahead its just plain rong
    so im happy abouth this real happy this game just cant suvive with bots in it

now guys playing 10-14 hours a day with out cheating now thats just an issue evry game have evry one plays difrent and at difrent lengts of time
    at some time sertan ones will be bigger then otheres but as long as its done with out cheating its all good

16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Awesome, I have heard so many people saying attended is allowed, this will confirm that it is not. I am one of the high level people at level 106, but it has been legit. I just play a ton.

17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Berek
    To even further "clarify", could you please "clarify" exactly what you mean by "botting" ???

18. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

You guys for real this time? I thought this was banned the first time you banned people?

So do you REALLY mean it this time or are you going to catch them again and try to scare everyone doing innocent macros to save themselves from repetitive strain injury or carpal tunnel.

We need clarification...

19. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Why does it always seem like there is some extreme minority who pulls something (which gives them a benefit they get to keep) and then the rest of the world has to suffer?

Idk... I can craft (oh woo hoo) a stack of 20 items all at the "same" time or at least with 1 mouse click. However.. to do so I lose the small XP bump from the small % that will register as "exceptional;".
    so now.. If I want to process.. oh say a stack of 500 hides I not only have to sit through it but I have to click it 500 separate times?

(Edit:I specifically asked Chris if a macro for that was legal and he said it was ok.. I mean I have the log /edit)
    Additionally.. this is one of those DLMB moments. aka dude seem to speak with forked tongue. On the one hand we have logo's flying from a company who has (thankfully) been a strong supporter and often have seen their (Razor) products on our own SotA website and now a blanket statement that the features which differentiate those tools are now Verboten?

Come on... lets get a clear thought out solution instead of the wild ride of the pendulum that just seems like so much knee jerkage

@DarkStarr pls?

20. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

@DarkStarr @Berek @Lord British You guys just need to make the really difficult choice and do a full skills and non pledge/Addon store item wipe at launch. Let us keep our lots and obviously sold/traded purchased items. We can start new characters "again". A few will rage quit. The rest will move on. But please have the botting thing figured out by then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.