Suggestion for the 1 mil xp

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Engel, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engel

Engel Avatar

In uo we can buy a token for Advanced character here we can buy a 1 mil xp in store by this way the cash go at the right place for the benefit of all players .

Just a suggestion .

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Yay pay to win!

No thank you, i would literally stop playing if that got put in.

4. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I would never pay for experience and I find the idea distasteful, but I don't see a big moral difference between

a. players having the opportunity to buy experience from other players (by paying to party with and tag along behind a powerful player) and
    b. players having the opportunity to buy experience from the addon-store.

The only difference I see is that with a. the money goes to a profit-minded player whereas with b. the money goes towards the development of the game.

Having said that, I am not in favor of b., but only because of the damage it would do to the game's reputation.

5. Engel

Engel Avatar

The Advanced character exist in uo and nobody stop to play my idea is stop presently the problem and sell in store xp for example skill Under 80 perfect for casual players
    and perfect for the compagny

The reputation of uo is good

anyway it is just a suggestion i dont like to pay for xp but the problem exist ...

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

What problem ?

7. Engel

Engel Avatar

just a suggestion ... i dont want to start a war

8. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Would rather a QA server where everyone is GM in everything. Fun testing that would be.

9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I agree that there is a problem of people currently selling exp.
    Its lame but im not sure of the solution.

I dont think adding it as a game store option is a solution though, think that amplifies the problem.

10. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

Yea, no.
    Don't like the buying xp idea, I even get concerned about the whole cotos thing too

11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

bad idea

12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I say let them buy whatever they want. We all know a real warrior vs a role-play imitation when we see them. Even in this fantasy world, respect for accomplishment exists. If someone wants to play an imaginary character because they do not have the dedication to earn it or who doesn't have the time, we should let them. In this fantasy game there is a real world where work and dedication pays off. It does not bother me when the decked out GM warrior appears in my instance and then spends all his time running back and forth to the resurrection ankh again and again. That GM warrior will eventually end up adventuring in a skull area he can handle in spite of his bells and whistles. Real experience matters in the real world and also in the fantasy world.

Nelzie likes this.
  13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

True but in this comparison, its like you getting hired on in a company to make 500k a year, even though your unqualified.

With exp comes reward. If your in SINGLE PLAYER then by all means. But bypassing the work or steps needed, thrn getting all the rewards of a higher end person, is more then a slap in the face to the rest. Skill and personal experiance aside, your bypass the meaning or rare and earned markers of the game, by sellig exp.

14. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Yea, but in the case of the company hiring the unqualified, the company is a loser. In our example the loser is the player and the company wins. The question is whether the accomplished players can play alongside the pretenders while maintaining their cool.

15. Graynight

Graynight Avatar

@Engel I think the problem with your suggestion is in your explanation.

In UO (And in SWTOR and a few other games) You could purchase an advanced 'character'. Now, I stopped playing UO before this came about, but I know that in SWTOR you start with a 'level 60' character; it has all the skills and abilities available to a level 60, but it has the crappy 60 gear. Since the game goes up to 70+ now, it doesn't matter, you just skip a lot of the chapters (And having 20 characters already, this was fine for me; you can only do the story so many times). But, it's a single character, a single time (Per purchase)

The logistical issue of selling XP on the Add-on store is replication. Unless SOTA could come up with a way to only sell it once per account, someone could easily purchase as many as they wish, then just sit in a town and max everything. Thinking purely of auto-attack and passive based skills.... purchase the XP, plop yourself in front of a training dummy, activate all your passives, auto-attack.

Though I am not endorsing this, as I am of the "Grind it yourself" belief, IMO the way to make it comparable to other games "Advanced character" would be for SOTA so sell "Skill up to level X". No XP gained, an instantaneous single skill gain to X. Remove certain skills (Higher Advanced Skills, certain passives, anything that requires reagents or special quests to learn) so they can't be gained. Allow it for some basics and some second tier only.

IF this were to happen, I would suggest X be 40 or 60. High enough to allow players to enjoy themselves, not high enough to "Buy in" to ultimate power

Nelzie likes this.
  16. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

umm No...

17. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Until I know more it is hard to really make a judgement. So far it seems like many years ago in school the teacher wanted the student to use a pencil to add and subtract because that way he would still use his mind and know the mechanics of addition, subraction etc and would not let the student use the calculator. Then years later came the PC and the teacher said not all students could afford a pc so tried to stop that because of the the rich person having an unfair advantange over the one who could not afford that luxury and had to do the research from the library. Then came programming in a company to make things easier and faster and more efficient but the complaints were the same because it was not good that the worker could not keep knowing how to do the job the old way. The car came along way before that and people said that should not be...the horse will be put out of work and it is not fair to the farmer. The workers who bailed hay years before that did it by hand and when the tractor came about that is not fair because some farmers could not afford the new fangled machine and still had to do it the old way. Fast food places popped up across the world and that is not right you should cook your food from scratch. Then they said that is not fair you should plant your crops and vegetables and harvest them because going to a store and buy them instead of growing them is just not right. They said it is unfair that someone spend money to buy things in a store because not everyone can afford to do so....it's just not right! Oh me oh my we do not like others to have what we have chosen not to have. We chose not to have it either because we do not want to work extra for it or we would rather spend our time doing other things. So, instead we complain because it is...just not right!

There will always be people who complain because some one else makes more money because they found a way to do it faster than some one else. It's just not fair because now they can do it easier and I can not do it that way or maybe I chose to not do it that way.

There does not seem to be a difference between buying XP and buying something else...it is a matter of making choices.

Our game is a game of choices and there are consequences for our choices...some good and some not so good.

I may not see it right or know how to judge it right but right now it just seems like it is like that. Making our own choices is such a great privilege and I love this game for allowing us to make choices.

Aldo and HogwinHD like this.
  18. Anabolicus

Anabolicus Avatar

Not TRUE...a lot of Players stopped playing UO after that and after Trammel came up.....why do you think that game is no more existing? Adult players want to play a game, not payTOwin!

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Please note that this has been considered and then rejected by the devs.
    They don't think it would be good for the game even if it increased revenue.

You can find most of that reasoning by going through Chris' posts in this topic:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...k-brain-dump-on-our-logic-behind-cotos.71486/
    But it can be pretty much summed up in:
    Pay for conveniance = OK
    Pay for power = not OK

But from there it is a lot of questions of subjective interpretations of what is what.

20. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

UO Celebrated their 20 year anniversary this year. Richard and Starr even attended the party.
    That game is still doing well and is STILL in existence .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.