Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Info Needed]Crashes in Battle of Solace Bridge

Discussion in 'Release 37 Bug Forum' started by Armakuni, Dec 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armakuni

Armakuni Avatar

12/28/2016 5:06 PM
    Title: Game becomes unresponsive when mouse-looking quickly at Battle of Solace Bridge or when Esc'ing out of dialogue with Charlotte
    Reproduction Rate: 100 %
    Blocker? yes; game crashes very easily

Steps to Reproduce:
    I created an online character and after the intro map I spawned in Battle of Solace Bridge with stuff burning around me. I can pan the camera around full circle but only if I do it slowly. If in mouse-look mode I move the mouse quickly to the side, the game becomes unresponsive immediately. By "unresponsive" I mean the screen freezes for a minute while I can still hear the ambient sound effects from the game, and when I click the mouse Windows tells that the game doesn't respond and suggests to close it. The unresponsiveness seems to happen when the camera is showing about what is seen in the screenshot below and I'm panning rapidly to the left, as if to show more of the burning house that is visible on the left. Note that I *am* able to look in any direction if I pan the camera slowly enough.
    [​IMG]

The game crashed also when I talked to Charlotte, the kid in the burning building. I already talked to her once and got her to follow me. I ran out of the house and talked to her again. Typed a few sentences and then pressed Esc once, and nothing seemed to happen. Pressed Esc again, and then the camera faded almost to black from the conversation screen and at that point the game became unresponsive. From that I got this crash dump. This dialogue crash happened on both of the two times I tried it. Note that I was able to talk to the Oracle earlier without crashes.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16342
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series GPU RAM: 1011
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.534.Date.12.23.16
    Area: SolaceBridge_Starter/WithTutorial
    Area Display Name: Battle of Solace Bridge
    Loc: (-71.0, 42.9, 60.7)

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for reporting! I've escalated this issue to the team for review. My first reaction might be: Have you attempted a fresh reinstallation of the game client to see if this issue is resolved then?

3. Armakuni

Armakuni Avatar

Thanks for the reply :). I tried now to uninstall and reinstall the game afresh (build 536 now). I can still reproduce the bug where the game freezes after panning the camera quickly.

On a happy note, talking to Charlotte no longer crashes the game!

4. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Woot! Glad the charlotte crash no longer occurs after the reinstall.

I believe the camera pan issue may be a separate problem that will need addressing from a performance point of view. Have you attempted adjusting your video quality settings lower to increase performance and see if that makes a differenceon the "hitching" that occurs when swinging the camera?

5. Armakuni

Armakuni Avatar

Setting the video quality to the lowest setting, "Fastest", I couldn't reproduce the hitch.
    Setting it to the next level, "Fast", I could reproduce the hitch.
    I did this test without restarting the game. If I understand correctly, some of the graphics settings may not have been applied.

I then restarted the game to make sure I had "Fastest" on, then restarted again to make sure all graphics settings were applied. After that I stepped the video quality level up level by level without restarting the game, and I was able to reproduce the hitch only at video quality "Good".

By the way, now that the hitch happened again, I saw that the screen update jammed first for about half a second, then there was one more screen update after which the game became unresponsive (for at least a minute at which point I force close it).

6. digimav

digimav Avatar

I'm experiencing the same issue right now. I'll let you know if setting the graphics to "fastest" helps.

(Update: Yeah, it did)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.