goodbye and good luck!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korim Rackham, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Hello,

I just wanted to say happy 2017 to everyone, and i hope you all get the game your looking forward to. After careful thought, ive decided to let SOTA go. Huge disappointment for me, but hey thats what happens when you role the dice on a crowd funded game. Anyway, for hte most part the community has been awesome so good luck to all of you! May this game turn out to be your cup of tea. I wont be following the forums anymore either, such a waste. 90% of posts are just asking for more aesthetic stuff haha. (which youll prob get). Maybe if i see EP1 launches ill come back to check out since its paid for anyway, but maybe not! If anyones following Chronicles of Elyria, you can find me there!

2. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

See you in another world friend. :cool:

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  3. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Eat you later!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Come back on release and give it a shot again. Things will probably be a lot better.

Just remember, they consider this project 80% done. Everyone in project management knows that the last 10% of the project usually takes 90% of the time. I have more complaints then any, Im harsh on them here but I still play and still enjoy playing when I do but more so, I can see that the end game may actually be a lot brighter then people think.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Take care @Korim Rackham altho I am surprised you are running away. Chronicles of Elyria will not be out for a very long time so you will have a big wait for that. I'm funded for that game too, but I am not excited for it. I wish them well but my heart is with SOTA all the way. So as mentioned check back since changes for Sota will be a lot quicker now as we go into the final year of development, and for me I do hope it is very late in the year like December or Jan 2018 even. ;). I do always hate to see someone give up though since I believe all voices matter even though it is not always something pleasant to hear, it is a viewpoint from people playing the game. So be well and perhaps we'll see you in the future. :)

6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It's still gonna take years to be able to do daily legitimately complain toCoE devs on their forum for their design decision, iterative releases, reality vs expectations, etc.

Just stick around the forum like several folks here who spend time on the forum to let everyone knows how they enjoy or not enjoy the game.

Also if you do recent posts view on the forum, you will be getting more than shiny pixel request threads. It's definitely not 90% posts for most of the time.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Katrina Bekers likes this.
  7. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Farewell, best of luck to you, and Happy New year to you! :)

I'm in the disappointed with Sota column as well. It wasn't even remotely close to what I had expected in quality or entertainment value. No worries though like you said, rolled the dice and lost, I am moving on as well.

Leelu, Nhili Dragon, 3devious and 9 others like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh sorry about that. I truly think we've had a shift if you haven't checked lately, but I know once people make up their mind it takes a lot to prove it to them. I feel fantastic about the progress we are making and yes disappointed sometimes but for every disappointment something wonderful happens. I really am sorry to see you go, but perhaps you will see, it will all work out and come back once you see what's coming ;), and because what is coming will keep coming for years to come. hmmm well I tried to express that, hope you got it, even tho I could have worded it better. I always wish you the very best Ice Queen.

9. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I wish you and the rest of the nicer people here the best of luck in your Sota adventures.(it would take too long to type them all out), the best of luck in your Sota adventures.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Mata, Leelu, Solazur and 8 others like this.
  10. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Fare thee well, Korim. Hopefully you'll have another change of heart and return to New Britannia one day.

11. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

See you in Chronicles of Elyria, I'll be there too..

12. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

There was a shift? When and where. The thing that needs the most attention is the economy and the minor tweaks are not going to get it there. I am also on the verge be being done, but I invested so much I have been loathe to give up. I think it is almost an act of god to save this game at this point, as they have gone too far down the wrong road.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh no the economy will happen later when the game is released and we have a released game, well imo. I am not sure what economy you are talking about. Are you talking about being able to sell your stuff? So much is not in and we are not released. I totally don't understand people giving up at this point. We have a bigger team now and last release was only a performance pass, but every release will be more and more of the game coming in. I am really excited to be here. Here is the basic announcement that came out and truly along with all they say is coming in, more will come in. It always happens.

• led off and placed within the game window as separate chat windows.
      • Crafting: Enchanting and Masterworking level will now have much greater influence on the outcomes of item creation. The higher your skill level, the greater the power of the effect added to the item and the greater number of choices you will have. At Grandmaster level, you will even have the chance to sometimes add maximum durability back to the item. Additionally, the power of the effect is directly proportional to how many levels of masterworking/enchanting have been applied, to better balance risk versus reward. We also hope to greatly increase the number of possible Enchantment and Masterwork effects.
      • Character: Clockwork Dragons will make their appearance in the game in several versions, including the Summer Telethon pet as well as a full-size behemoth! Citizens of Ardoris and the Perennial Coast will now be adorned in Asian-influenced clothing and we will also be updating the Guards in all Perennial Coast scenes with the Ardoris City Guard outfits. Work on other Telethon reward items will also continue including Clockwork Armor, Ice Wings, and Ice Bagpipes. Finally, rumors of a yet-unnamed and unseen stealthy clockwork beast loose in the Kobold areas have been shocking to hear.
      • Player Towns & Player Housing: We will continue to expand our housing with a focus on water based housing and houses in our Shogun line. We will also be adding a water decoration surface layer, so players will be able to add decorations to the water around their water homes. Additionally, we will be doing some expansions to the Player-Owned Town toolset including the ability to clear foliage and view lot boundaries at all times. Finally, updates to Dynamic Player-Owned Towns that have locked submission forms will appear in the game.
      • Combat: We will expand the number of decks players can build and save. We will also be adding more combos, more skills, and more spells. Additionally we will begin a major polish pass on all the visual effects related to combat.
      RELEASE 39, February 23, 2017
      • Story: We will continue polishing the Path of Courage with emphasis on moving the player smoothly through this part of the story. We will also be adding another Siege Encounter map and un-cloning the Rhun Ruins.
      • Player Housing: The ability to rent rooms in a player home will start to become available to homeowners. Additionally, the Shogun bundles will come online as we continue to expand our water placeable houses and our Shogun line of houses. We will also begin the work necessary to make player equipment placeable as decorations. Also containers will begin to have limits on how many items can be placed inside them. Finally, updates to Dynamic Player-Owned Towns that have locked submission forms will appear in the game.
      • Combat: The cover system will be introduced and will modify attack and defense values when you (or your target) are behind cover. We will also be refactoring how ammunition works for ranged weapons so that we can have a greater variety of ranged weapons and introduce different types of ammunition, including the ability to craft those ammunition types.
      • Character: We will begin work polishing the Kobolds and updating them to better reflect their lore which attributes much of the technology in Novia to them. We will also begin introducing the first of the Obsidian Cabalists. Lastly, ducks will be winging their way into the hearts, minds, and yes, bellies of Novians.
      • Crafting: We will be expanding the crafting system to include molds that can be used to create visual variants for weapons and armor (Elven, Norgard, Obsidian, Kobold). We will also be refactoring the Agriculture interface and expanding functionality to include new skills like batch planting.
      RELEASE 40, March 30, 2017
      • Story: We will be doing some final polish passes on the Path of Courage and beginning to polish the Path of Truth. Additionally, a vast dungeon will be opening underneath Blood Bay. We will also be un-cloning the Kas Ruins, Elysium Mines, and a few adventure scenes. We will also be refactoring the tutorial system to improve the new user experience.
      • Character: We will begin creating Viking-inspired clothing for the NPCs in the Norgard and Verdantis areas of Novia to better define that region, including outfits for Royalty, Guards, Citizens, and Merchants. We will also be polishing the Troll visuals and creating more visual variations for our children NPCs.
      • Crafting: Fishing will be polished and expanded and Alcohol recipes will be added to the game.
      • Guild Alliances: Guilds will now be able to form alliances with each other.
      • Offline Combat Balance and Economy: A pass will be made through the game to adjust combat balance for play in offline mode with companions. Additionally, the economy in offline mode will be tuned to be better balanced for single-player. For instance, NPC merchants will buy player-crafted items at a profit to the player. Also, pledge and Add-On Store items will be available from NPC merchants for purchase with in-game gold.
      • User Interface: A polish pass will be made to the user interface to improve general usability and visuals.
      • Shroud of the Avatar is different than the traditional model, as we intend to offer our backers extremely early access to information and even the game itself. With that said, we also want to be very careful that we only provide access to portions of the game when they are ready for a wider range of feedback. If we can play it internally and we know it is not ready, then there is nothing to be gained by having a wider audience come to the same conclusion. In fact, it could be quite damaging to do so.

Our strategy over the next few months is to provide you with focused and iterative releases of content. Your feedback during these releases will be critical to making the final product the best it can be, and we appreciate that you are all so willing to devote your time to helping us. <snip>. After each release we will review the results and reevaluate the plan including the duration of availability of each release.

14. codedragon76

codedragon76 Avatar

I have read the release notes, and am one of your earliest backers. I have played every release since the first. The fact is that once they chose to stop doing wipes, the game became largely locked in. Permanent persistence is a stage where you are stating that enough of the game is locked in stone, that you are comfortable not resetting things. The changes necessary to save the economy are contrary to to permanent persistence. Right now those of us playing since the permanent persistence began are wealthy, and are 100% self sufficient, able to craft everything we need to be able to not participate in the economy at all. Even starting fresh, it does not take long to master enough crafting to be able to make anything a adventurer needs yourself. Pair that with the fact that gathering requires you to master combat as well, you really don't need anyone else for anything.

15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Sorry to see you go mate. We've generally felt in lock-step agreement on most of this stuff, but I'm still keeping my eye on it... for now. Truth be told, however, I'll likely end up following you, sooner rather than later.

All games have the promise of great things in a pre-game community and this one really wrapped us up and took us on a journey which I think many of us thought would be really exciting, but the reality's been less so.

"Where did it all go wrong?" is a common refrain among my friends who have backed and/or followed SotA. I never have an answer for them. There's so many elements that just don't mesh into a fun to play game. It's sad.

16. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Honestly, I don't really care if people really play the game or not. It's the forum that's very entertaining everywhere especially when I only have my phone. Sometimes it just reminds me of the good ole college years back when my buddies and I went to the bar every Wednesday for a $1 beer night. There were always these few guys who would sit at the bar stools not ordering anything, but just took up space and constantly complained about how they didn't like the music or the TV channels were horrible. When someone asked why didn't they just go hit up Hooters or some place else instead, they said they spent "alot of money" at the bar already and the new place they would rock the world hadn't open yet. It's all good, though.. sometimes we just bought them a pitcher of beer and just sat and chat, the more the merrier. That actually went on for years until I got my Master's. I wonder if those guys are still there at the same bar or if they already moved on to that "new place".

17. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This games has got issues for sure, reminds me of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line been terrible years and nothing ever gets done about it.

However Chronicles of Elyria isnt for me, ill just continue to w8 and dump money here and prey somone wakes up.

Go seahawks ...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  19. mercster

mercster Avatar

Sorry to see you go mate.

As far as Chronicles of Elyria goes...I've read all the design journals (2 years worth or so) and perused the forums. That's a huge dice roll as well, and I hope it goes well for you. I can say without a wisp of competitiveness or sour grapes, that I don't think it'll go well. Whale mentality seems to dominate, and a lot of the things they promise I really don't think are going to work. It's all high concept, and the players will be in for a rude awakening when reality comes crashing down on them (and that's IF anything actually gets implemented beyond the MUD and web-based politics game they are planning...)

Just reminding you that it's a dice roll as well, and worse odds than SotA was, I think (not to say that you're in any way wrong about being disappointed in SotA, you had expectations that were not met, and that's fair.) Please don't spend too much of your money before there's an actual game to try out...?

*salute*

20. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

I backed Chronicles and it looks like it should be a good game, but I'm actually thinking of selling my account because of my unhealthy obsession with Black Desert as I just don't see myself having time to play it. Best of luck to you and I hope you find what your looking for.

Numa likes this.
  21. Nyxi

Nyxi Avatar

Im teetering on calling it a day as well, had so many hopes for this game, but it seems to fail to deliver and have too much focus on RL transactions. I remain because I dont want to admit I wish I hadnt spent the amount of money I have, and live in the hope that it will suddenly be all right on the night! I enjoy the game, some of the aspects are great, but there is nothing to keep me going, the end game is poor. We killed a dragon last night and the loot was pitiful, where is the incentive to do anything other than grind for xp!

Crafting I would have loved to get into, but I neglected it until this patch and now there is a HUGE gap between peeps who learnt the recipes on their own using sotacraft etc and everyone else who have to buy the recipes etc. I dont mind that I have to work for it, im not asking for things to be given to me (before that band wagon is jumped on; albeit they are more likely the era that were given stuff!), what I do want is fairness across the board - If player A is a better crafter, then I know they've gone through the same journey and process I have.

Gathering seems like an exercise in frustration. Resources given vs resources needed for crafting needs relooking at. Cut down a tree and get a pitiful amount of wood, not even enough to make one arrow.. Really, from an entire tree?! It makes crafting very tiresome in the beginning.

Same for spellcasting, I seem to spend all my money buying reagents, as the spells use so many. Im probably doing something wrong, but then, i guess a lot of others are also.

I really hope this game works, but to quote Han Solo, "Chewy, i have a bad feeling about this"!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.