goodbye and good luck!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korim Rackham, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selene

Selene Avatar

[​IMG]

Don't be afraid to come back if you change your mind. We'll be here. :)

2. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Pretty much what's kept me from logging in until today. That and the broken patch that was dropped as R37.

Crafting has very little meat to it and doesn't dole out nice milestones to work through and hit the satisfaction of getting to a new material type, or better quality item. the only thing crafting levels provides is better odds at making good items. It's only the first few hours where you are unlocking new recopies.

I had plans on being a miner in the game, but my combat level isn't high enough to mine efficiently. Apparently having to have a high combat level is a 'risk' to guard the nodes. I've got a couple hundred hours in the game so it's stupid that it wasn't enough to let me just branch out and do what I want, instead of hunting XP in Ravenswood if I want to be a useful miner getting the resources that have value.

On top of that, i thought having a bigger lot would provide enough direction in decorating and building it up. However, it turns out I can only craft a village house on it unless I go and buy one of an appropriate size for the lot. That's pretty much the last time I logged in before today because when I discovered that I no longer had a reason to log in because there was no relevant house to build for my new land.

There really should be at least a couple of craft able options for all lot sizes. Not just Row and Village.

Logging in today to see I lost the lot (My bad, misremembered the date until the rent paid for).

I've only stuck around thins long out of respect for a friend who is in at the Knight level and I feel bad if he ends up $800 into a game that none of us want to play.

But, the grind is just getting worse and no payoffs have been added yet. No skill cap is the biggest down side to this game as far as I am concerned.

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Chronicles of Elyria is pretty interesting, i was expecting Darkmoon to post about it. Take care and good luck.

Numa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Nyxi

Nyxi Avatar

not sure i like the look of CoE, but i will be trying the new Conan Exiles at the end of this month, and hope FUNCOM dont ruin it like they did Conan, but chances are they will :D

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This is actually a really good point, never heard it said in such a way (arrow). I actually agree but I also no they still have basically a year to figure it out. It would be kind nicer to get more wood from trees. For example, I have 7000 animal hides in my chest. I've been lucky to have 200 wood in my chest. I think hides/leather are kinda perfect. I think they need to say double materials from mining and trees which would go a long way to help with the grinding feeling.

But they have a year to fix this stuff, I think a lot of the stuff Im reading in this thread goes right back to the simple fact that you are pressing a button when you log into this game that is telling you that it is massively under construction and still in alpha (or whatever they call it now). People should consider these things and yes, they may have legitimate beefs with major components of this game that probably dont get fixed (and they can legitimately quit). But quitting because of numbers dropped on resource nodes is not one of those, that can be fixed by a 3 second click on their part.

6. Nyxi

Nyxi Avatar

I do get the alpha argument, its the only thing keeping me going, but in all honesty, I dont see a lot of improvement! Also the pre-alpha argument loses some validity once we went to persistence. By this I mean, they can very well make huuuge changes, but it wont address the head start, and persistence is normally only given once the game is pretty much finished, less the polish. I hope im wrong, i really do, in fact i have a few thousand reasons I hope im wrong!

7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

This is why the game is so bad. Stuff like crafting/gathering should have been worked out on paper before a line of code was written. It should have been well in place during the early builds and not even an issue in persistent.

Yet here we are, months into persistent, and people like yourself are willing to give the devs a free pass for another year?!? While ever this is a common attitude, the game will limp along, never improve, and eventually implode.

8. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Sorry to see you go mate! Good luck in your future endeavors and hope to see you at launch!

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Well... either we play the game to continue giving feed back, wait until it's more polished, or repeatedly complain about it on the forum daily.

What else will we be doing?

aldraren, Saxon and Duke Avery like this.
  10. Nyxi

Nyxi Avatar

Playing other games that are more fun?!

There's a lot coming out this year. I admire your dedication and faith, but blindly believing isn't going to help either.

For the last 2 years these issues have been fed in. repeatedly. They're still issues. the stock answer of "its still pre alpha, or they will get around to it", isn't good enough for a crowd funded game.

they're already a year behind, they've cut the original pledges and promises. The stuff people are complaining about are CORE mechanics. not fluff that needs polishing. stuff that should have been rock solid before persistence.

Polish is smoothing animations, uncloning zones, tweaking minor bugs. NOT trying to sort out the joke of combat targeting system. Not trying to decide what abilities do what and for how much. not having a ridiculous gathering/crafting system.

you say im complaining on the forums, i say get your head out of ports ass and realise these posts are crys for help; stop being part of yhe problem by misleading devs with your blind devotion. IF the devs dont get back on track or offer something worth playing for then those less committed backers will leave. no one new will come.

worst case the game collapses. best case the few people who pledged above Knight will hang in to justify the amount theyve invested money and time wise, and slowly get bored of /dancing at bear tavern every night or killing the same mibs repeatedly and leave. releases 2 onwards will never happen as there will be noone to fund them.

we both want the game to succeed, and see the potential. we both submit bug reports, i however hope the devs realise they're treading a fine line; the steam reviews are attrocious for the reasons I've covered, where or why do they think new players will come??? The UO crowd they initially tried to appeal to already are giving it a wide berth, just visit the stratics forums. others see the terrible game engine, lack of content (yes its sandbox, you make your own to an extent), lack of risk vs reward, jokey combat system, tedious questing system, horrid animations znd basic char creation and worst if all the money grabbing add on store, telethons and RL cash marketplace and just go buy a polished fun AAA game.

11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

This logic does not match with the concept of crowd funding. They just hired a few dev's on the team because they brought in a lot of money durring the telethon. That will drive changes faster. Then there was the whole concept of stretch goals that the game had for years.

The game being "bad" is your opinion. Yes, other may share it but dont claim that. There are times I agree, there are times I log in to my PoT and I look around and Im actually amazed at how good the game actually is in certain things. opinions are like...... Everyone gots one.

12. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

None of which relates to what I said, mate :)

Again... stuff like crafting/gathering should have been worked out on paper before a line of code was written. It should have been well in place during the early builds and not even an issue in persistent.

In a sense, your reply is a continuation of the problem I am seeing every day in the community. The let's give the devs a free pass relating to basically everything mindset. Nothing good can come of it.

13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Sure it does 100%.

A lot of people see your reply as the core reason why crowd sourcing is a failure. People fundamentally not understanding what the concept of playing a game in alpha/beta is.. even then they click the notice when they log in that says "this game is under heavy development". People who have never been in a game beta before... do you know how bad UO was a year before its release, it took 5 minutes to walk a step at times. Same goes for UO and Wow, Id say SOTA is well better along then some AAA games I have played in beta at this point.

14. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

Don't worry, we all want the game to succeed on varying levels.

Like it or not, we have about some months to a year to see changes to the game that will push it into finished status.

The devs have stated that the changes in this last 20% of SotA's development could be brutal/unpopular but all for the sake of long term.

I'm hopeful because if this game is already 80% done now, I would want to see drastic changes or it won't materialize into a good enough game imo.

What is of bigger concern to me is SotA's general concept of what makes up a sandbox player-centric game.

The add on store churning out majority of the visual and buildable content is flawed as it only adds on to the problem of the weak player economy and limits the desirable items one can craft.

I sense a divide due to the overbearing influence of the add on store, and what makes SotA in essence basically a purchase items sort of collection mini-game, rather than concentrate on a real AAA game where one earns/crafts a wide array of in-game items due to gameplay content itself as the bulk of a player's satisfaction.

About a year from now, we'll be very clear to what this game entails, the final direction of the devs and how much of a game do they want SotA to be, so buckle your seatbelts and enjoy the ride!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  15. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

And yet I back plenty of games via crowdfunding, without half the hassle or grief I experience with SotA. Right now I have Star Citizen, Chronicles of Elyria, Battletech, Bard's Tale IV, Torment: Tides of Numenera and more on my radar.

In other words, just because someone like me can point to elements of SotA and say, "That's bad... that's horrible... that bit should have been done right in the first place..." doesn't mean we don't get crowfunded games. We actually do!

I'm delighted to crowdfund games. I think it can be a fun and fascinating process and I am really excited with what a lot of the games above, and games I've backed in the past, have been able to do. SotA simply isn't one of them, I'm sorry.

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Unlikely.

17. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

There's another issue. To the world out there the game is released. It's playable, it's persistent. People have tried it in this state -- and left. It doesn't matter what the hardcore folk here on the forum say, that's the reality out there, right now.

So you can tell me to "let it go" all you like, but I'm one of the few people willing to look at this realistically, not just from a company standpoint and repeat the mantra that "on release" everything is going to be just amazing and really fabulous.

You can see that attitude, writ large, in the follow-up to your remarks from Rufus. I really don't know how else to get through to you folks when you are unwilling to see what is actually happening in the market surrounding this game.

I point out that crafting and gathering should have been got right on paper, in early releases and easily before persistence, and yet some of you will sit there, with a straight face, and say another year of this -- in a persistent state -- is OK.

Yet it's not OK. It's killing the game out there in the market. The devs seem to have some idea this is the case with these references we hear to not wanting to take on heaps of new players at present, because they're aware of the issues, too.

That's good, but what it needs in return from us, as the audience, and the people funding this venture, is a stronger line. Not, "Hey guys, take a year... take it easy..." but rather, "Hey guys, get on this... or you won't have a game in 12 months time."

18. Blackghost

Blackghost Avatar

Oh, I agree with you.
    I'm just saying, nothing will change until release.
    They don't really listen to us, they have a game in mind and they are willing to explain their ideas. Nothing more.
    We wont have a stronger line because of their way of making things. (the Devs)

Get a bottle of wine who's in production. Ask people to taste this unfinish product for a few years.
    When your wine will finally be ready for distribution, nobody will buy it, because of the bad taste they had before.

That's why I said, let it go.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think people have way too much angst on these forums. Just play the game and enjoy. If there's a bug, report it. If there's something that you would like to suggest then make a thread in the appropriate forum.

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

A very large inference to make from a single word reply... especially one that turned out to be factually correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.