The upcoming telethon rewards are very … unrewarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChairStacker, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

2. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dye-able jester hats would be greatly appreciated.

Leelu, Budner and Numa like this.
  3. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Here's a wild idea - maybe there could be rewards that benefit all players. That would be something special!

Kaisa, Leelu and Canterbury like this.
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

[​IMG]

The quoka is a very friendly, tiny marsupial on a remote Australian island.

[​IMG]

x_Selene_x, Leelu and Metalocalypze like this.
  5. Crumpets

Crumpets Avatar

I would like a birdcage - my Death mage would like this birdcage in particular (from one of the rooms of the 7 Lords in the Epitaph)[​IMG]

Spoon, Leelu, Alexander and 2 others like this.
  6. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Some of the rewards are nice, but I will admit the leaves are getting old lol.

Leelu likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, skeleton included please.

Alexander likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Cabin fever.

Leelu likes this.
  9. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

I would venture it has everything to do with people expecting the game to be in a lot better shape by this stage, and it's not, so when they see Cutesy Thing #462 being sold instead, they react quite badly.

NB: For the sake of completeness, that is not entirely my own, personal view... but the question was asked and, on the whole, I think you'll find the real answer lies pretty much in what I just said.

Kaisa, Leelu and MrBlight like this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Recipes for example :p if we hit x a new recipe will make it in game. Everybody is happy. Even the players that can't participate in the telethon for whatever reason.

Spoon and Leelu like this.
  11. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lota people in my group follow a lot of kickstarter projects or have participated in developments before.
    Think that mentality comes from lack of progress, lack of promises kept, and lack of real long term plans being announced.

Unfortunatly most kick starters have done more with less money. Then you got ones like Camalot.. who already has weekly breakdowns of what they did, they trying to do, and why they are doing it that way. Its a huge step of enlightenment when compared to the devs here. Reality is the devs here like to keep things hush hush and vague. 90% of the roadmap for Sota from this point on is player speculation.

Everytime a big ticket thing is done, its riddled with bugs, and is very lacking ( roming encounters, sieges , path of love )

Now you have people saying they will pay for more codding? For seeing devs during development? Etc etc.. it irks the backers here who have already paid for that coding to be done already. You dont pay MORE for a product to fix the corners they cut. Imagine if this was a contractor building a house.
    Thats where the irritation falls in.

I am curious though.. the artists who do these pledge rewards.. csn they not be designing mobs ? Scenes ? And things for actual gameplay? It seems like they have half their team only focused on useless add on items IMO. ( agian where more frustration stems ).

Imo.. i dont really care about what they sell in telethon. They need to be making sure this big blood bay project thats taken months of their time... isnt a massive let down.
    Is another 5 emotes going to keep me entertained enough to keep logging in everyday? No.
    Will new mobs and game play? Yes.

So much potential in the game. Im curious how many resources are wssted on the telethon rewards .

Kaisa and Preachyr like this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I would also like to see this bird cage (with and without the skeleton).

Lord Ravnos and Leelu like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'm backing @majoria70 big time on the better ingame communications network. We already have bits and pieces of these in the noble orbs, aether vibration amplifiers, friends list & chat etc but they are all disconnected and don't work together at all. This is why people go to the SOTA forum marketplace where all the product, price, vendor/buyer feedback is available all in one place.

You can't have a real ingame community or player economy spanning several hundred NPC cities, PRT/POT towns without a better communication exchange system.

Mortanius, Kaisa, EMPstrike and 7 others like this.
  14. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

well..

I hope r38 is as good as 37 was bad. If they have anywhere near the bug issues as were experienced since the 37 drop it's not gonna make for a great telethon.

As for myself...I don't see anything in the swag that interests me. I'm kinda full up on pixel crack

Alexander and MrBlight like this.
  15. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

Ah, here is my wishlist:

I would like to see more medieval clothes, not steam, not shogun, not blinkblink, not dead, not fairy, not kobold, not... just medieval clothes. ;)

Grimace2, Alexander, Jens_T and 8 others like this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I like the idea of recipes but they need to be teachable (not re-teachable though).

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Im not sure, they seem to do a pretty good job of keeping us informed on what they plan to do, and exactly what each of their employees who are working on the game are doing from day to day. But they do alot of changing thier plans because of what the players want to do, which ends up having them work on things they initially didnt expect to work on.

Like walking on the world, or Jumping.

In actuality they usually only have a few people workin on addons and houses. Most of the team is working on bugs, upcoming game features and mechanics, scene uncloning, animations, and other technical stuff like Jira, cheat detection, etc. everything thier guys are working on is listed on an almost daily basis.

I took a break for 3 months and when i came back (Oct. to Jan.) alot had been done. the only part of this post that is an opinion is " Im not sure, they seem to do a pretty good job of keeping us informed"

18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I disagree.
    Theres entirely too many long term plans they have not elaborated on. And ill argue this is actually one of the games with the LEAST amount of dev discussion of long term stuff of any that i follow.
    The whole pvp aspect going forward is speculation. The idea that they will force specialization in crafting is speculation. All talks about the economy is speculation. The idea of shifting away from self sustaining, 1 player can do everything, is speculation. Any talks about whats going to pull away from it being a grind is specilation. You know quests are coming. Thats it. No elaboration on CP and their meanings. No real talk about virtues. No real timeframe of better end game content.
    Etc etc

I find even the small changes are surprise to players. ( look at cooking and food changes )

That and like i said.. tho you manages slightly off my point.. was cant the guys spending this time on useless telethon deco rewards, be doing gameplay stuff?
    The guys designing limited time telethon rewards to milk a lil more money off backers already playing. Couldnt those art work guys be putting new items in gameplay? Worken on scenes? Worken on character modles? Maybe changing the color of one of the thugs in a scene to imply variety.. anything?

Not really gonna debate as its early and its an opinion base anyways.
    Imo, no the roadmap is weak compared to most. And no, i think the part of team working on telethon have better things they can be doing.
    For me they have a LOT to deliver yet to meet expectations. And i still think they can, as game has so much potential, but its definitly a process yet, and next few months especially will decide it for myself.

Innascual Inch likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Getting too detailed on something still open to discussion and change is not wise. They've shared thier overall ideas for the long term stuff, but you cant really have details available for something thats still being shaped and subject to change via player feedback, and they do a whole lot based solely on player ideas and feedback.

Many people enjoy the telethon rewards and its a good way to generate money for the game and the folks working on the game full time. To say an ongoing project can NOT benifit from more money is silly, as that is the very thing a project needs to continue generating to remain active. Most of thier people and time are being put tward development and fixing stuff in the game.

PvP is a sensiitive subject and is intended to have a purpose and reward the risk without making it feel like its somethign everyone has to do. The ideas for accomplishing this have just begun popping up half a year ago with the mention of Blood Bay and the virtue system.

Control points are intended to be areas that intentionally slow down your progression across tthe map to encourage regional trade. They are places you can find a high end challenge and will be rewarded for beign successful in.

They are nto forcing specialization in anything, the word "force" is often an exxageration. They intend to encourage specialization in crafting by making it easier to get good at one skill if you dont have a bunch of other skills. They are changing masterwork and enchanting to fit this by having the power of the modifications be affected by your skill level in that particular craft.

The economy is intended to be a regional one, with some materials being more abundant in certain areas than others. It's intended to be primarily player driven in Online mode and crafted goods are intended to have a notably high value (They dont intend for armor to be easy to make, and want it to be fairly expensive). They have in-place the ability to throttle the ammount of loot being dropped to help with gold-flooding and stuff.

they arent shifting away from "1 player can do everything", thier intention is to make specializing benificial.

Thier intention is to not force you to grind to become a viable character. Any game int he world with XP and/or gold, you will find people grinding. Just because people are grinding, doesnt mean your forced to. Its a choice you make because you're competitive.

Virtues are a karma-like system that they make intentionally vague because they dotn want you to worry about having "virtue points". Its intended to make the game react to your decisions as a person.

There will be more end-game content this quarter. <------time frame.

The food changes were not intended to be a surprise. They had been talked about since at least 2013, probably sooner, and from what i've seen so far have held up to thier plans.

^^^these are all things they have discussed with us over the course of the game's development.

They discuss this stuff as they go, but they cant discuss all of the stuff all the time so if you arent here the entire time, it can easily get lost until they are ready to impliment it. Your best bet for keeping up is the standup corner, Hangouts, telethons, QA thread after telethon, and the developer blogs in general.

20. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

too true

also true, I find the devs dedication to keeping the player based involved very rewarding, and therefore I try to participate in every discussion with them I find time for. For example Starr's post, post-dev hangout attempting to give answers to ALL of the unanswered questions given during the hangout.

If you are unsatisfied with the questions and answers, ask some more direct questions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.