Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Focus depletion is too extreme

Discussion in 'Release 38 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I couldn't believe how quickly focus is now depleted. I have 626 focus and it was gone in an instant combatting the few relatively easy (green) elves in the elf room of the Solania catacombs.

As a mage, I carry no weapon and rely solely on spells for combat. Apparently I have to not only acquire and carry reagents with me, but also focus potions. This is unreasonable for a build that has no physical offensive powers and can't resort to auto-attack with a physical weapon.

It looks like I will have to start training swordsmanship and either give up my shield (which I need to compensate for the lack of physical protection my cloth armor gives me) or give up my wand (which I need as a mage).

Oh wait - there is another option. I can just give up the mage build altogether. :mad:

2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Pure mages are weak now in PVE since the res patch. Time to go hybrid or wait if there will be ever a patch to wands and staffs being usefull in combat themself.

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Have you tried food or focus potion yet? Do they help at all?

4. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I usually have Aetheric Feedback on for extra focus and faster regen. Another combo could be using Tap Soul with Soothing Rain.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I actually gave up on pure magery when the resistances hit rendering magic completely useless in so many situations.
    Even as a hybrid character now the current focus regen rate of 1 per tick was bad enough that I couldn't even really test combat, just trying the places I normally fight.
    Hope we see an adjustment; food doesn't work in combat and can't answer for this, and giving up hotbar slots for potions is a bit of a crappy option, there's already far too much crap you need to buy to function.

6. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Switching to Melee and auto attacking doesn't really help either. I blew through my focus on 2 mobs and spent 15 minutes chasing down archers due to not having the focus to cast any ranged attacks

7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Before entering the elf room I had eaten Crocodile Skewers that give +2.5 Focus per second, +3 Health per second and +3 strength for 2 hours. The problem with food is it only regenerates focus and health when you are not in combat mode. So if you are stuck in a battle and your focus runs out, it is useless. After exiting combat mode focus seemed to regenerate more slowly than ever before, even with the food.

In this current state the game has become unplayable for me. If I weren't positive that the devs will fix this, I would just log off and never bother to log on again.

8. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I have a lvl 55 sword-mate hybrid and found combat a bit more challenging compared to last release. Will have to test a bit more

9. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

just to be clear.

they reduced focus regen in r38

they also changed the way food regens focus in r38

10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Anyone else has a chance to try the new focus potions yet? I'm wondering if these are supposed to be what keep our focus up during combat.

11. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Has anyone found the new regen potions? I haven't found any as loot yet

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

That's another issue. It's supposed to be from mob drops, so I don't know if I have enough to find one to make a potion to test.

One thing that could use some check would be whether the affect of the original focus potion has been changed or not. I'll try to take a peek next time I can sign in.

13. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

there was a dev post about balancing the risk vs reward of creatures such as trolls dragons and adding rare drops so you might want to check there for drops.

have to wait till later to dl and play

14. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

So, I could see the new rare item drops being put on these mobs for better risk and reward. But potion recipes that players might need to be effective in combat (particularly magic users), should drop from regular mobs imho.

15. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

dont know

i would check the rise and various other high end content for all of these things if i had a high lvl character on qa or a group be fore i assumed that they would be from random mobs.

16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I haven't seen the new potions in-game yet. I purchased 100 regular focus potions (over 60 lbs worth) at the alchemist in Solania, and they give me back 55-60 focus per potion. That isn't much, considering I can deplete my entire supply of 627 focus in a two skull area within minutes. I can afford the cost of 200 g per potion now because the Devs are giving Dev+ players a huge supply of gold every day to play around with, but I couldn't afford it in my regular game.

I just checked with the Alchemist Johann Morton in Ardoris to see if he has the new recipes or potions (I forgot to look when in Solania), but he only has the regular focus potion recipe and regular focus potions.

Jens_T and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  17. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

Yeah, the potion recipes are supposed to be drops. I hope they consider adding them to the normal loot table and not off of high end mobs. Even if they are slightly rare drops, I would be okay with that, but since it seems they will be essential for pure mages, they need to be acquirable off of normal mobs. @DarkStarr any word on this?

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Having to carry around additional weight and give up hotbar slots should give you a bonus, and should improve experience, not bring you back up to "normal."

I already had focus struggles after the regen nerf when food was introduced; fighting simply isn't possible without aetheric feedback. Now its just ridiculous. It absolutely did not need another nerf.
    The only saving grace for me at this point would be if they made potions drinkable in combat from inventory, but even then, you now need more money for more consumables when everyone's already bankrupt due to far too many cash sinks. I already feel like I'm playing packmule-of-the-avatar when I set off to fight with hundreds of pounds of crap.

19. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I just entered Solace Bridge. At adv level 72 this is my focus after killing two (2!) zombies in a one-skull zone. It took me 4 Searing Ray (level 81) to kill the first one and 2 Searing Ray to kill the second one.

This is wrong in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Before someone asks, my attunement in Sun Magic is low (21) but I used Searing Ray because:
    1. It is a spell that new mages have
    2. Sun magic is supposed to be effective against Undead

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Numa and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  20. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

its a bug

Numa, Elwyn, Duke Albert and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.