Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Conversation UI feedback: could we please get to open Journal

Discussion in 'Release 38 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Spoon, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

When speaking to NPCs my first instinct is to open the (J)ournal for reference. Especially since a lot of the results of the conversations are written as notes in the Journal.

As is with the new UI I find myself having to repeatedly close the conversation, to check the Journal, and then immediately open conversation again to continue the dialog.

Kara Brae, CrazyPhil, Womby and 2 others like this.
  2. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

I was really hoping that the new UI Interface would include a Journal window where I could see entries being made (and read them) as my Avatar writes them. Having to go into my journal after the conversation just to read what I wrote seems a bit off... Plus, if I See what I wrote perhaps it will give me more insight about what to talk about.

CrazyPhil, Womby and Spoon like this.
  3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Add'l idea: we can make our own notes as little bullet points underneath existing journal entries
    add'l awesome idea: journal supports markdown, and hyperlinking to other parts of the journal

Grimace2, Womby and Spoon like this.
  4. wizardsmoke

wizardsmoke Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Good catch!

I just made a change to allow the Journal to be opened via hotkey during a conversation.

5. Jarikith

Jarikith Avatar

How about inventory? Because it seems really awkward to have to talk to the banker to open the bank window, then immediately say goodbye to him so you can open your inventory to drag items from your bank to your pack. Or to manually hit the backpack button.. because that still works, just the hotkey is disabled.

darkskwerl, Womby and uhop like this.
  6. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The next QA build will allow you to open merchants and banks without launching the conversation window; it will instead wait until you talk to them specifically, similarly to how they behave on live currently.

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

This is great! I didn't like that using a merchant or the banker was bringing me into conversation mode.

While we are at improving the new NPC Chat UI, could you guys make that chat box scalable in size? The old way allowed me to drag it larger so I didn't have to keep scrolling to see the whole conversation. If you at least let us drag it larger (top to bottom) that would be a huge improvement.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey @Spoon ....

Relatedly, this was something else I was thinking of that could tie the journal into the conversation system...

In the Pokemon games, sometimes you have a chance to answer a questionnaire, which brings you to a text input screen which also has a word bank you can use to fill out your selection --

All these words come in categories, so you can drill down and find the word you want to use.

At any rate, we could possibly have some way for the journal to bring up relevant word selections during a conversation, depending on what quest entry you're pointing to. So for instance, if you're doing the Soltown quest where you're trying to figure out who set the fire, and you're pointing to that quest entry, you might have the words 'fire', 'refugees', 'red cloth', available, which you could easily bring into the conversation.

Anyway, just an idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.